Preview Match Preview: Sydney Swans v Hawthorn Hawks - Qualifying Final 1 - Friday September 6 @ 19:50, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
but what if we get an injury early on? he would be forced to come on early as sub so it goes both ways

I agree with lock33 on this one. Playing Jetta to start with is a gamble and when you gamble you play the odds, so the injured player theory who wont be able to partake in the game hopefully wont strike too early. The thinking behind it is Jetta comes on as a burst impact player tonight, fast twitch fibres ready to go when the opposition taggers are fatigued and had there’s burned down. Jetta would probably fatigue earlier than most if he starts.

Ideally we would love to have Jetta capable of running out the full game but given the circumstances were making the best of what we have… and yes that includes rolling the dice on a partially fit player.

Last week's spread of goal-kickers must surely have brought home the message to our team not to be too Tippet aware.
This was from a few pages back but I wanted to mention: Hanners was on the radio last week before the game and when asked about this he said that he and Tippet were even discussing it on the car on the way in. So it must be on their minds.

isnt it part of the fun, as long as people dont abuse each other who cares, good natured ribbing between supporters, the beauty is the win gives you bragging rights, but you have to wear a loss

Makes the game great.

Yup that's true too. Us mods can always clean up after you lot if someone oversteps the mark :p

On reflection I think I agree with CAS and lock33 about Jetta. Normally he wouldn't be my preferred sub but tonight in his first game back, playing the odds, probably better to use him as an impact player.

This was from a few pages back but I wanted to mention: Hanners was on the radio last week before the game and when asked about this he said that he and Tippet were even discussing it on the car on the way in. So it must be on their minds.

That's comforting. I have been screaming this out from round 12, as have others.

HORSE! Use The ManBeast Tippo as a decoy to drag multiple defenders away from the play. This frees up the best attacking mids in the game & isolates Pyke & Jesse.

They're comfortably the worst group of supporters on this forum. When you read stuff like "show them who's boss" or words to that effect it highlights the fact that a lot of them believe we took what was theirs.

Get on board. The idea of us having stolen their flag, as they were entitled to it, thrills me all the more;)

I agree with lock33 on this one. Playing Jetta to start with is a gamble and when you gamble you play the odds, so the injured player theory who wont be able to partake in the game hopefully wont strike too early. The thinking behind it is Jetta comes on as a burst impact player tonight, fast twitch fibres ready to go when the opposition taggers are fatigued and had there’s burned down. Jetta would probably fatigue earlier than most if he starts.

Ideally we would love to have Jetta capable of running out the full game but given the circumstances were making the best of what we have… and yes that includes rolling the dice on a partially fit player.
Isn't it also about the bigger picture? If we are to win the premiership, Jetta has to be fit and firing. He needs match practice regardless, and unfortunately, the only place he can get it at the moment is in the senior Swans team. We are not just playing for this game.

BoM site says 30% chance of rain.

What do we think? Are we still terrible in the wet, if it comes to that tonight? Or have we started to figure out how to cope with a slippery ball?

if it rains.. we lose i reckon... we will be way to tall up forward, the speedy backman of Hawks will be having a field day!

Perfect scenario for tonight would be the win ( obviously) , play jetta for a qtr, sustain no injuries , get the week off and light up anz the following week with jetta and rohan firing on all cylinders

If Jetta is sub, i hope we activate him a little earlier than we usually do. Say 8-10 minutes to go in the third. That gives him the 3QT break to freshen up.

If Jetta was to play the full game, i'd like him to sit on Smith, and Rohan to sit on Suckling, with instructions to not let them get 2 steps with the ball. Cut off their quality delivery from the backline and i think you really hurt the Hawks gameplan. We need to keep those two under pressure all game. Rohan and Jetta have the pace to do the job, and hurt them the other way. Don't know if Jetta's defensive game is up to it though (Rohan's is).

If Jetta is sub, i hope we activate him a little earlier than we usually do. Say 8-10 minutes to go in the third. That gives him the 3QT break to freshen up.

If Jetta was to play the full game, i'd like him to sit on Smith, and Rohan to sit on Suckling, with instructions to not let them get 2 steps with the ball. Cut off their quality delivery from the backline and i think you really hurt the Hawks gameplan. We need to keep those two under pressure all game. Rohan and Jetta have the pace to do the job, and hurt them the other way. Don't know if Jetta's defensive game is up to it though (Rohan's is).

I think it was Robbie (?) on the podcast that said that you don't play Rohan as a defensive forward, when he can be such an offensive weapon.

You've got McGlynn, Bird, Bolton that play the defensive forward role, you want Jets and Gaz to go hard towards our goals. Yes, 1%'s and tackles are crucial and will always be a part of their role.

Gameday and I'm hell excited! I don't know about the rest of you, but for me the good/bad thing about Friday night games is if we get a win it makes my whole w/e, I can sit back and enjoy all the other matches wit ha smile on my face, however the flipside if we lose it ruins my w/e, I cant watch the other games without still being annoyed about losing haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Hanners trained by himself and spent a lot of time talking to the physio yesterday:eek: (James Dampney AFL reporter)

Apparently Hanners trained by himself and spent a lot of time talking to the physio yesterday:eek: (James Dampney AFL reporter)

First rule of the internets, never believe anything that begins with "apparently"

Apparently, Hanners was chit chatting non-stop during training, and Horse said "Hanners, f off by yourself mate, we have a final to win".

The only one not doing any work (if this season is anything to go by) was the physio, so he roped him into discussions about tomorrow's election result.

First rule of the internets, never believe anything that begins with "apparently"

Apparently, Hanners was chit chatting non-stop during training, and Horse said "Hanners, f off by yourself mate, we have a final to win".

The only one not doing any work (if this season is anything to go by) was the physio, so he roped him into discussions about tomorrow's election result.

It wouldn't have been a long chat;)

Isn't it also about the bigger picture? If we are to win the premiership, Jetta has to be fit and firing. He needs match practice regardless, and unfortunately, the only place he can get it at the moment is in the senior Swans team. We are not just playing for this game.

I don’t think we can afford to think tonight in terms of getting game time into players. Taking the win is the only objective in the planning now.

I think there needs to be a distinction here that we are talking match fitness not fitness as in his injury.

I guess for me there are a number things that the match committee will have to take into consideration as to whether he starts or is sub. Jets usually takes time to get into the game and I don't think he suits the sub role, he is not traditionally not a high possession getter and is more an impact player whenever an opportunity presents throughout the game so I personally would prefer to see him start and use this game to build up his match fitness with a view to the coming weeks, this is especially if a win this week means we have a week off and how we get him to be at his peak for the business end of September.

I do however think that he will be the sub, the match committee have shown with Shaw and Rohan that first game back is generally in the green vest.

Ugh, don't get me started. The only good thing about Abbott winning is that it's the first step in him melting under spotlight, and Turnbull stabbing him in the back.

Hopefully...... But I thought that would happen as soon as he was made Opposition Leader years ago and now he's about to become our next PM!:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back