Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acceptance is the first part of the healing process :$

I'm almost past the frustration stage and moving into total apathy.

A wooden plank could coach our team better than Nicks.

The first 4 weeks have reminded me a lot of 2020 and the last half of 2022.

If we're being honest we haven't really be in a winning position or felt threatening at any point in those games. We've just gotten better defensively to stop the scores from blowing out and our fitness seems to now be at a point where we seem to have more in the tank in the last quarter.

The reality is that the margins have flattered us and it's not an accurate reflection on just how poorly we've been.

Steven May this week.

Mitch McGovern to have 25 touches and 15 marks next week
Steven May with broken ribs, no less.

Any club worth their salt would've made Steven May shit his pants any time he went near the ball. Tex made him earn the first one of the night but from then on he might as well have been in cotton wool because he sure as hell didn't get any physical pressure.

If we're being honest we haven't really be in a winning position or felt threatening at any point in those games. We've just gotten better defensively to stop the scores from blowing out and our fitness seems to now be at a point where we seem to have more in the tank in the last quarter.

The reality is that the margins have flattered us and it's not an accurate reflection on just how poorly we've been.

Leigh Montagna was right too.

Keep everything under 100, and you beat Adelaide.

4/4 so far.

good come back george costanza GIF

I've been thinking about what might be the biggest issues we are currently facing. We could point to drafting and recruiting etc..., but in the end I think the biggest cause of our problems is - over coaching.

Think about Rachele when he first arrived. Think about the energy, confidence and enthusiasm he had. He was bubbling, fast and dangerous.
Watch him now. He's struggling. He looks slower. He looks nervous and confused. His confidence is gone. We did that.

We do it all the time. We did it to Jones to the point that he couldn't figure out if he should get the ball or wait - for an entire season.

I suspect our coaches are very ordinary. Maybe below average thinkers. To compensate they think the answer is to over analyse and criticise players for every action. They think they are therefore working hard as a 'coach'. Whereas a good coach understands what each player needs. Some need criticism, some need encouragement. Some need reminders only.
I don't think any of our coaches are smart enough for this.

I don't think our drafting has been good - there are some very obvious howlers. But, I also don't think it's as bad as it looks because our development of players is atrocious.
I remember seeing Rachele kick his first goal and immediately think to myself "He's gonna get pulled up massively on that celebration"

One thing I really enjoyed about Rash the first year or two is how much genuine joy he seemed to get being out on the field for good or bad. That seems to have been completely sucked out, but we often hire coaches who are system obsessed and it often doesn't take advantage of those square pegs you get.

I remember seeing Rachele kick his first goal and immediately think to myself "He's gonna get pulled up massively on that celebration"

One thing I really enjoyed about Rash the first year or two is how much genuine joy he seemed to get being out on the field for good or bad. That seems to have been completely sucked out, but we often hire coaches who are system obsessed and it often doesn't take advantage of those square pegs you get.

If we had Dustin Martin he would have been delisted by us.

I think some of the close results flattered us a bit last year. Some supporters think it's it's easy as kicking one more goal and winning a few close games and we are in the top 8.

You follow football enough, it doesn't work like that. For starters you have to repeat your own close wins. Performances against top sides can be skewed as they are not at their best for various reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one who has been Nicksed... :embarrassedv1:

This article on Glen Hoddle's observations on Postecoglou at Tottenham shows what a proactive, positive coach can do. Ironically, this is what we did until about midway through last season, until a shiny finals spot became a possibility. Ange has the Spurs playing an open, aggressive style of game, irrespective of results, and he takes responsibility when it fails. Mathew Nicks should take note.

Screenshot_20240405_121159_Chrome.png

Steven May with broken ribs, no less.

Any club worth their salt would've made Steven May s**t his pants any time he went near the ball. Tex made him earn the first one of the night but from then on he might as well have been in cotton wool because he sure as hell didn't get any physical pressure.
The worst part of this - May took his first mark on the boundary line and visibly winced after he landed. It clearly hurt.
At no point after that did anyone touch him. No tackling, no bumping, nothing.
Both dumb and pathetic.
How long do you think it would have taken those great Hawthorn teams to test him out? He wouldn't have made it two steps without someone bumping him. All game long.

I've never been so convinced our bad start is coaching related. Sometimes it's hard to know if it's the list, players out of form, or coaching. It's just so frustratingly obvious he's too scared to just let the players go for it.

After all the pre season talk Rachele has had what, 2 CBAs for the entire year??? He was a revelation in the beginning of last year in the midfield. Why is he so scared of putting him in there for a game. Looks like another year of wasted development

2nd worst winning % of all coaches. Sam Mitchell with half the amount games and arguably more upside ,likey to be handing over the baton at seasons end.

If Mathew Primus had won 3 more games during his time at Port Power - he would have the same winning percentage as Mathew Nicks.

2-2 aren’t we? Surely 5 point away loss to Suns and sub 3 goals to Demons count as wins. Plus making finals last year puts a lot of credits in the bank.
Starting to sound like the England cricket team with the moral victories lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back