Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is far worse than Hinkley, Hinkley has got his team into finals and 2 prelims. We are miles off and is it going to be get better next year? Maybe a little but again so will other clubs.

That's my concern where is with is, where is the improvement going to come from?

It's not like Nicks is coaching with an eye to 2025.

Soligo hopefully should improve, but what else is the growth going to be in our midfield?

Dawson is at his peak, he's araldited himself to Laird and we have no replacement for ROB.

There's every possibly that West Coast and North could potentially go past us as soon as next year. We're pretty much a lock for bottom 5 this year (potentially bottom 4 depending on how St Kilda go) and we could again be looking at another bottom 4 finish next year too unless we're gifted an easy draw.

The select few people who still think it's all going to magically just click one day might be in for a rude shock.

Last edited:
Soligo hopefully should improve, but what else is the growth going to be in our midfield?
Dawson is at his peak, he's araldited himself to Laird and we have no replacement for ROB.
Sad to say, ROB is better in ruck contests than Strachan, but cannot kick, or mark and is next-to-useless around the ground. I don't think Strachan is AFL level and ROB is well below his best. No third choice; big problem.
Nicks' only focus has been winning the next game.
Where is the improvement going to come from? <== it's my biggest worry.
Nicks has laid his cards on the table:
--- try hard, obey oreders, keep shape,you'll get a game
--- be a fave (Murphy, McHuff'n'puff) or a senior player (who tries hard, regardless of impact), you'll get a game
--- defence, defence, DEFENCE (which is ok provided you kick enough goals to win, and we're not).

Nicks has no flair, no dynamic imagination, no game-day tactics or strategy when other teams turn it on or spring surprises, no lose-hating toughness.
Nice bloke. Dud Head Coach.
The select few people who still think it's all going to magically just click one day might be in for a rude shock.
No 'might be' about it.
Nicks' record and his damning recent comments on untried players ticks the remaining No-Idea-Cannot-Coach box.
P.S. edit: I nearly forgot. RT has morphed into a beast, won't be muscled out of marking contests and looks like becoming a very effective forward for us :hearteyes:.
To offset that, we still have No Idea Nicks and may lose Tex.

Last edited:

That's my concern where is with is, where is the improvement going to come from?

There's every possibly that West Coast and North could potentially go past us as soon as next year. We're pretty much a lock for bottom 5 this year (potentially bottom 4 depending on how St Kilda go) and we could again be looking at another bottom 4 finish next year too unless we're gifted an easy draw.

Rankine was the 3rd rated player in the comp before his hammy once playing as a full time mid, should continue to be elite for many years to come. There should be continued improvement in Dowling and Taylor, hopefully see Charlie Edwards pushing for games next year too.

Didn’t realise running around like a headless chook and not touching the football was performing ones role.
You'd see him come up to the ball-ups in our forward half against Sydney as the extra and it was like watching an U10 kid chase the ball. Just absolutely pointless running and was always in the wrong spot to actually have any impact on the play.

How?
His players are shit and he can't coach.
The common trend throughout the clubs history with non sa based media, is very few media people and footy experts etc actually watch Crows games, through both, lack of live interstate coverage and interest. Without fail, every non sa based media expert before talking about the crows preface their talking points with...'I havent actually watched a lot of their games'

So a lot of pro Nicks commentary coming from interstate is laughable at best and stupid at worst. No doubt on the back of pre-concieved misconceptions formed by poorly researched narratives and 2023 statistics combined with club narratives. Woosha probably thinks aside from Tex the list is full of inexperienced teenagers that almost made finals.

You know how easy it is to tell when a media expert pro Nicks opinion is full of crap? they can't tell you why he is good or they just use a word salad full of cliches and jargon. I dont even know why SA media seek opinions from outside. No one watches our games aside from team we are playing fans which may contain said media personality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd see him come up to the ball-ups in our forward half against Sydney as the extra and it was like watching an U10 kid chase the ball. Just absolutely pointless running and was always in the wrong spot to actually have any impact on the play.

That is because he has no talent or feel for the game but great behind the counter at Crowmania.

These are the replies that make me sad the most

I know you have been a positive supporter of the club for a long time and have waited patiently - like us all - but have held your fire

I hope we all have a positive turn around sooner than later
A few of them have capitulated. Kudos to them. Better that than doubling down until you become a parody, people start tagging you, and your name becomes a synonym for sphincter.

Surely that's a snippet, full quote being “Nicksy will take the crows all the way to the bank to cash in his extension”.
Woosha was very diplomatic about it. It seemed like Rowey was fishing for click bait. Either way, I’d take Woosha over Nicks any day

Improvement? How about just start not being down 4 players even before the first bounce each week. All teams have one or at most two dud players the senior coach seem to continue to pick but carrying nearly 25% of your starting 22 each week is way too much.

Last edited:
Is woosha interested?

Any intel on his desire to coach again?
He (or his wife) didn't want to move to Adelaide last time, can't imagine that's changed now.

I think he might be past it as a senior coach to be honest, but wouldn't be a bad resource to have on hand in a football department role or a Director of Coaching or that sort of role.

He (or his wife) didn't want to move to Adelaide last time, can't imagine that's changed now.

I think he might be past it as a senior coach to be honest, but wouldn't be a bad resource to have on hand in a football department role or a Director of Coaching or that sort of role.
He’d be brilliant - but you’d have to throw the kitchen sink at him to want him to move to Adelaide.

He’d be brilliant - but you’d have to throw the kitchen sink at him to want him to move to Adelaide.
Maybe. But have we asked?

Have we asked Gary Ayres what he is doing? Not as coach but as an advisor. Say what you like but 40 years in football at all levels is a great base

Are our farts that redolent of roses we think we dont need anyone?

Adam Kelly couldnt organise a camp

Maybe. But have we asked?

Have we asked Gary Ayres what he is doing? Not as coach but as an advisor. Say what you like but 40 years in football at all levels is a great base

Are our farts that redolent of roses we think we dont need anyone?

Adam Kelly couldnt organise a camp
Adam Kelly couldn't tie his shoelaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back