Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our inexperienced group of administrators means we lack the connections to approach anyone

Ricciuto - only ever been at the Crows or in the media
Kelly - no prior AFL experience, only SANFL and WAFL
Nicks - played at Sydney 20 years ago, coached almost entirely at Port with a brief stint at GWS (neither club had success)
Van Berlo - almost entire career at Adelaide outside of a brief stint at West Coast
Godden - only SANFL experience
Burns - would have some connections at Collingwood, West Coast and Hawthorn
Hombsch - would only know people from his playing days
Silvers - entire career at Hawthorn, mostly in finance

Our CEO, head of football and board have virtually no connections at any recently successful AFL club, and neither do most of our coaches

Nah, they just dont want to.

I think our inexperienced group of administrators means we lack the connections to approach anyone

Ricciuto - only ever been at the Crows or in the media
Kelly - no prior AFL experience, only SANFL and WAFL
Nicks - played at Sydney 20 years ago, coached almost entirely at Port with a brief stint at GWS (neither club had success)
Van Berlo - almost entire career at Adelaide outside of a brief stint at West Coast
Godden - only SANFL experience
Burns - would have some connections at Collingwood, West Coast and Hawthorn
Hombsch - would only know people from his playing days
Silvers - entire career at Hawthorn, mostly in finance

Our CEO, head of football and board have virtually no connections at any recently successful AFL club, and neither do most of our coaches
... you study this list & it's no surprise we are a mediocre club as we don't have quality people in key roles & lack decent football operators.

Nicks does have us competitive. We are back to playing an attacking brand of football. Which suits our list profile. But why did it take us half a season for us to start playing this way? I can tell you that it was because Nicks spent all of preseason, undoing everything he built last season so he could build a structure and game plan around an ultra defensive mindset. In other words, he didnt give a crap if we only scored 50 points in a game, as long as we stopped the opposition from scoring and kept them to 49 points.

Why did he do that? i guess no one really knows but Nicks has always coached to avoid being flogged. He has always come with a defensive mindset. They were only rumours, but in 2022 it was rumoured that several players were unhappy with the ultra defensive attitude. Last season in 2023 we went with an attacking game plan on the back of Tex and Rankine in some ripping form. We missed the finals.

So did we go back to this team defense counter attack game plan? my theory is his job was on the line, he thought we were good enough to become a dour defensive side and with Tex and Rankine, we'd score heavily on the counter attack. Basically assuring that we stayed in games a majority of the time. But he over estimated our midfield. We got smashed in all major areas weekly which meant actually making a decent attempt at winning games not really possible. Not to mention some arrogance about playing the young guys. Namely Dowling and Curtin.

Now the season was all but over by the middle of the year, its got me stumped as to why he has let the team off the leash and we can play an attacking game plan from the start, instead of this flick the switch come back style crap he had at the beginning.

All I can say is, no point looking like a great team if we cant win matches and we still aren't winning.

I honestly dont know what to think.

I think you over complicate it

His job wasn’t on the line - as we saw from being resigned at the start of the season. Was always going to be resigned

More likely he looked at our performances last year and what stood out was we needed to be better defensively. And the old adage defense wins finals
They over corrected - replicating what Voss did last year with Carlton - and then adjusted and got it back functioning as the season has gone on to a similar level as last year

Interesting listening to Champion data stats on SEN tonight. We apparently are one of 4 teams that have all of the defensive signals of a premiership team - not the offense. 4 teams have the offense side only and the Swans and Carlton have both.

The other 8 teams don’t have either (according to their premiership window)

If we can get 2 decent ins recruiting wise - as well as pick a midfielder who can transition to an AFL role early - we may finally bounce up the ladder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

So has Nicks copped any media scrutiny for letting Neale run amok in the first half? Of course not.

Let me go one further, when has Nicks even received any scrutiny at all?

You can't help but wonder whether some of the pundits in the Vic media like the fact that we have a mediocre coach that is taking the cub nowhere.

While he's at the club they know there's going to be one less non Vic side sniffing around the 8 so there's most probably zero motivation for them to suggest that he should be moved on.

Can anyone else think of a valid reason why Nicks is such a protected species in the media despite achieving sweet FA during his five year tenure?

You can't help but wonder whether some of the pundits in the Vic media like the fact that we have a mediocre coach that is taking the cub nowhere.

While he's at the club they know there's going to be one less non Vic side sniffing around the 8 so there's most probably zero motivation for them to suggest that he should be moved on.
It's 100% this. Why would they rock the boat?

Can anyone else think of a valid reason why Nicks is such a protected species in the media despite achieving sweet FA during his five year tenure?
It’s the SA media too. It’s the Ken Hinkley way, comes off as a good bloke and they don’t want to criticise him. Plus they don’t like bagging coaches generally anyway.

They just criticise his coaching without actually saying it’s coaching, w***ers

I think you over complicate it

His job wasn’t on the line - as we saw from being resigned at the start of the season. Was always going to be resigned

More likely he looked at our performances last year and what stood out was we needed to be better defensively. And the old adage defense wins finals
They over corrected - replicating what Voss did last year with Carlton - and then adjusted and got it back functioning as the season has gone on to a similar level as last year

Interesting listening to Champion data stats on SEN tonight. We apparently are one of 4 teams that have all of the defensive signals of a premiership team - not the offense. 4 teams have the offense side only and the Seans and Carlton have both.

The other 8 teams don’t have either (according to their premiership window)

If we can get 2 decent ins recruiting wise - as well as pick a midfielder who can transition to an AFL role early - we may finally bounce up the ladder

Was he always going to be re-signed? the time line doesnt support this conclusion.

End of 2023 - came off an exciting year where the club just missed the finals. The club refused to talk about Nicks contract. Wasn't even an offer on the table. Not one single word was mentioned prior to the end of the year.

January 2024 - Media 'Nicks......Contract?'
- Club 'not even in our thought process, we don't want to be rushed, other priorities'

February 2024 - media speculation mounts Nicks is under pressure

March 2024 - Club 'Shhhh look a shiny new contract'

I dont think there is legitimately anyone who didnt think the Crows had every intention of waiting until mid year after the post season silence on Nicks contract. Every bit of the clubs actions suggest this was the case. They tried to hide it with the excuse of the new HQ but thats BS and we all know it, the media called them on it and kept putting Nicks under pressure and the club panicked into giving him a contract thinking we will get finals this year anyway.

We spent our entire summer working on defense. Nicks was not signed. His job in his head was very much on the line.

The good bloke defense. I'm sure he's lovely to the media.

This time next year he will be in Adam Simpson shoes if things don’t turn around.

Was he always going to be re-signed? the time line doesnt support this conclusion.

End of 2023 - came off an exciting year where the club just missed the finals. The club refused to talk about Nicks contract. Wasn't even an offer on the table. Not one single word was mentioned prior to the end of the year.

January 2024 - Media 'Nicks......Contract?'
- Club 'not even in our thought process, we don't want to be rushed, other priorities'

February 2024 - media speculation mounts Nicks is under pressure

March 2024 - Club 'Shhhh look a shiny new contract'

I dont think there is legitimately anyone who didnt think the Crows had every intention of waiting until mid year after the post season silence on Nicks contract. Every bit of the clubs actions suggest this was the case. They tried to hide it with the excuse of the new HQ but thats BS and we all know it, the media called them on it and kept putting Nicks under pressure and the club panicked into giving him a contract thinking we will get finals this year anyway.

We spent our entire summer working on defense. Nicks was not signed. His job in his head was very much on the line.

They also said they were really happy with the direction and how the team was progressing.
They announced his signing before the first home game, even after an opening round loss.

I think it’s pretty naive to think that wasn’t planned much earlier in the summer

We know that Blight and King openly criticised him and then changed their tune after him reaching out for a coffee.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but does Nix have a regular radio segment? Ken-Kennel seems to have a designated open mic on 5aa (& AFL360)
even oftken appearing in studio. But Nix seems to have close to Zer👩‍🦲 media presence (or in turn..scrutiny!) I never hear grabs from anything other than what the club/news services want released.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but does Nix have a regular radio segment? Ken-Kennel seems to have a designated open mic on 5aa (& AFL360)
even oftken appearing in studio. But Nix seems to have close to Zer👩‍🦲 media presence (or in turn..scrutiny!) I never hear grabs from anything other than what the club/news services want released.

He doesn't do social media either (no accounts at all supposedly).

So all we get is his press conferences which are just word salads.

Just think if we hadn't extended numbnuts contract we might have been able to secure Simpson.
We still can.

Simpson best having the rest of this year off to refresh, but we should approach him about taking over from next season.

How the **** have we gone back to Laird getting the majority of minutes and halving the minutes of our two best midfielders (Dawson and Rankine)? Like, wtf?

I don't mind Berry getting an opportunity after the GWS game, but it's also again not in tune with list management, given it appears very likely he's been told to explore options at the end of season.

Laird should've been the obvious choice to go to Neale - but God forbid he plays any accountable, team first footy.

We still can.

Simpson best having the rest of this year off to refresh, but we should approach him about taking over from next season.

I do think he is legitimately burnt out after the last few years (not a Hardwick). But for 2026, the door would be open.

There should be no more excuses for Nicks now, but if the club gets him the extra “support” and he still fails next year, then it is well and truly time to go.

The clubs need there to be positive vibes out there so that supporters attend, members sign up and sponsors hop on board

They need the media on board, pumping up their tyres.

The local media needs the two clubs to be seen as successful. Positive vibes, people tuning in to listen, devouring football news content. Driving advertising revenue.

Talking down the clubs will only hurt the media.

These "meetings" that clubs hold with media simply explain that concept to the odd renegade who goes off script.

I do think he is legitimately burnt out after the last few years (not a Hardwick). But for 2026, the door would be open.

There should be no more excuses for Nicks now, but if the club gets him the extra “support” and he still fails next year, then it is well and truly time to go.
Won't matter how much support he gets. He can't select the right players. If you can't at least do that, you're done.

You can tell me curtin isn't ready and that's fine but taylor instead of murphy is too black and white.

Last edited:
The clubs need there to be positive vibes out there so that supporters attend, members sign up and sponsors hop on board

They need the media on board, pumping up their tyres.

The local media needs the two clubs to be seen as successful. Positive vibes, people tuning in to listen, devouring football news content. Driving advertising revenue.

Talking down the clubs will only hurt the media.

These "meetings" that clubs hold with media simply explain that concept to the odd renegade who goes off script.
I dunno man. Negative news sells and drives engagement too.

Nicks is our third longest serving coach.
Very soon he will be our second longest serving coach.
He'll soon have the most losses.

This weeks game against St Kilda will be his 100th

After 99 games Nicks is 34W 1D 64L

Ayers 101 games 53W 48L

Craig 157 games 89W 68L

Last edited:
Back