Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your way of overcoming reality is to create alternative fantasy scenarios that you know aren’t true.

Good to know, won’t waste my time responding then.

Not fantasy at all. You just look from one lense - a negative one - on every single Nicks related decision (arguably club decision but not player performance or ownership)

They wanted to get TT back in as quickly as possible. They likely didn’t want him to ruck much at all and wanted limited game time. So they rolled the dice with the weather and injury - which how many times this year have we used the injury sub 4 or 5?

So it’s a risk but one they were comfortable with and paid off

Hardly fantasy land

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not fantasy at all. You just look from one lense - a negative one - on every single Nicks related decision (arguably club decision but not player performance or ownership)

They wanted to get TT back in as quickly as possible. They likely didn’t want him to ruck much at all and wanted limited game time. So they rolled the dice with the weather and injury - which how many times this year have we used the injury sub 4 or 5?

Hardly fantasy land

Look when you come out with a defence of “it hardly rains during games” when it’s been raining and rains forecast, yeah it’s a fantasy land defence.

Yeah they were comfortable and concerned…..because it was raining ….

Can’t remember but you threw up another ridiculous counter the other day, it’s what you do, I get it. I just won’t bother engaging

Its still a poorly made decision

Crossing your fingers it wont rain is hardly clever coaching - yes risks pay off at times but this wasnt it - sure it was a good outcome but oh boy if it went bad

Last edited:

I find it funny our SANFL players are told to eliminate all errors before they can be elevated yet we allow our coaching group to make error after error

Some criticise those same SANFL players for making errors yet defend to the hilt the club and coaching group

saints and essendon are the two teams i find are very comparable to the crows list wise, and coaching wise, so im super interested.

like some others ive always held a slither of benefit of the doubt as I think he has some great qualities that were needed following a pretty dark nadir, including galvanising a pretty young group in the face of a club that handled almost everything in the absolutely worst way possible. However as a tactical coach he's leant heavily in the more conservative and defensive side, both at selection and the way he wants to play football, which is what has lost me. I'm very much a "die on your sword and learn some lessons losing" vs a "try and lose by as little margin as possible and save face", and I feel nicks (this year most obviously) is the latter. he still feels very much like a "would make a great assistant coach" kind of guy.

Its still a poorly made decision

Crossing your fingers it wont rain is hardly clever coaching - yes risks pay off at times but this wasnt it - sure it was a good outcome but oh boy if it went bad

But they delay getting Thilthorpe back in and their would have been criticism for that as well

Anyway - we will continue to have majority of discussions for the next couple of years focused on how rubbish Nicks is. Should be good times

But they delay getting Thilthorpe back in and their would have been criticism for that as well
Not from me - I stated before the game given the conditions a day game in the SANFL would be better

I had actually forgotten this week is at Marvel so a double reason to hold him back. Roof closed dry deck with another run under his belt - wow that would go off
Anyway - we will continue to have majority of discussions for the next couple of years focused on how rubbish Nicks is. Should be good times
Glad you are starting to come around

I find it funny our SANFL players are told to eliminate all errors before they can be elevated yet we allow our coaching group to make error after error

Some criticise those same SANFL players for making errors yet defend to the hilt the club and coaching group

I'm sure we will get another rookie coach when we eventually replace the human bowling ball. Can't wait to hear about the need to give them time to learn on the job.

Hardly fantasy land

I think the payback was the team (and crowd) reaction to his first mark and goal. Just gold.

Everyone bought in. They bought into his rehab and potential in future and what was left of this season. It was an eruption of just what is to come, this was the first part of the payback.

Maybe it's just a fluke of how it just happened last weekend.. but it was perfect.

I think the payback was the team (and crowd) reaction to his first mark and goal. Just gold.

Everyone bought in. They bought into his rehab and potential in future and what was left of this season. It was an eruption of just what is to come, this was the first part of the payback.

Maybe it's just a fluke of how it just happened last weekend.. but it was perfect.

Nicks is a players coach and its because of things like that.

He did a similar thing with Milera in Rd 1 of 2022. Brought him in to play because he had 2 years off injured.

Nicks would be a fantastic assistant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody is forcing you to be here

Nicks is a players coach and its because of things like that.

He did a similar thing with Milera in Rd 1 of 2022. Brought him in to play because he had 2 years off injured.

Nicks would be a fantastic assistant
Yep thats his go. Should have brought him in to work under Pyke as a senior assistant. The one that players feel comfortable talking to but not the main guy. Remember his main strength when he got the job was his ability to build relationships. That right there spells great assistant.

Yep thats his go. Should have brought him in to work under Pyke as a senior assistant. The one that players feel comfortable talking to but not the main guy. Remember his main strength when he got the job was his ability to build relationships. That right there spells great assistant.
That's one of the big things he was doing at GWS apparently. Was basically a conduit between Leon Cameron and the players and coaches.

Why couldn’t we play like this from round 1. Few late season wins unfortunately justifying the clubs decision to sign nicks when they did.

I find these wins as an indication that he truly did screw up our season with that defensive game plan and not playing the kids. We are good enough if coached well.

It's a bit concerning also when Nicks said before the game he wanted it to be a hard fought slog, and Keays said after the match it's probably not the way we want to play, a bit too free flowing.

We clearly play best when we take the game on and score, so why wouldn't we want to play like that?

Credit to Nicks - tonight the magnets were flying and he came out on top

Its a nightmare when players start dropping and you're scrambling to find matches

I thought our defensive unit was outstanding and Hombsch gets credit for that

We could be top 4 even top 2 if Nicks didn't screw up the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back