Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was comparing career averages since Longmuir was appointed in 2019 ...the confusion is understandable

No, you are the master in deflection and not answering questions directly put to you.

I wasn’t the only one to question this. Numerous posters said exactly the same thing.

He was comparing career averages since Longmuir was appointed in 2019 ...the confusion is understandable

Just for a point of reference, Longmuir has had just 10 players on his list left from 2019 (we had 20). Made the semis in his 3rd year, missed the following years but still won a combined 22 out of 46 games. This is a guy who is rebuilding his side and still winning more games than Nicks.

I agree with a lot of your points but surely even you can admit, perhaps he is struggling to get the best out of the squad. In 5 years he really has provided no evidence of achieving anything.

Olsen is the used car salesman of politicians. He will give you a $1 while someone behind you takes a $5 from your wallet. Im sure he is a good guy but he is a PR man. He will do anything he can for good PR. Olsen won it from Dean Brown though. And was premier from 1996 to 2001.

To get a sense of the type of government he lead. In 1997 Port had just come in, West Lakes was pumping. There was talk about building a spur line for game days by extending the grange line. But conveniently at the same time the Olsen Government was looking to privatize everything and the bus network was up for grabs. A few brown paper bags later, the LP built a footy express network for the privatised bus system. In the long run it worked out because we likely would have seen stands upon stands built at West Lakes and it would have looked ugly instead of rebuilding AO. So we got lucky.

Apologies, I was up in Darwin at the time and didn’t check. That makes it worse, he white anted Brown and nearly lost the 1997 State Election. Now that takes some doing.

define the "Murphy role"

Easy

Murphy is an out the back pressure player whose job is to connect the wing with the forward line.

He is highly replaceable. Taylor could come in and perform it better, Curtin could do it in his sleep and has been a better small forward as a 197cm player than Murphy ever was. Dowling could have played that role. Hell McHenry was probably better at it than Murphy. Shoenberg is a better player. The list goes on.

Would anyone else be shocked if in another week or two a huge story drops where Nicks has been sacked and we have appointed Goodwin as coach (Melbourne are also in a state and they might be more than ok with Goodwin leaving)
Roo front and centre with a big shit eating grin leaving his bestest of buddies in charge as he leaves his role.
With Van Berlo in the mentor Chocco Williams role.

The agitation, bordering on anger, that you perceive springs from our Flag-less last 26 seasons
  • we have not played Finals for 7 years
  • although I was ok with giving Nicks leeway for 2020 (bottom) and 2021 (15th), 3 seasons later he's taken us back down to 15th. 15th ==> 15th in three years means he is a dud.
I don't see any other way that anybody could spin it, let alone a Moderator with 21 years experience in here and such an extensive posting history and footy background.
I won't read anymore of your post, this part stopped me in my tracks

So you were prepared to be out of the Finals for the first 2 years 20/21 .....in a full rebuild, and Covid
If you don't understand the restrictions Covid put on a young group, new gameplan and Coach ......maybe do some research

So on your expectations .....If I'm a NORTH supporter, then Clarkson gets the sack next year .....no if's and maybe's
NORTH still bottom after 2 rounds of Draft Compo picks .....and the Club was above us when we bottomed out
If you want to roll in the last 2 years of Calrko's reign at HAW, that's 4 years of failure ......gotta be sacked under your criteria

Then obviously Brad Scott is gone as well ....ESS, is it 21 years without a Finals win ?

So do you agree ....Scott, and Clarko gone next year ?

Would anyone else be shocked if in another week or two a huge story drops where Nicks has been sacked and we have appointed Goodwin as coach (Melbourne are also in a state and they might be more than ok with Goodwin leaving)
Roo front and centre with a big shit eating grin leaving his bestest of buddies in charge as he leaves his role.

I am not expecting it. But scapegoating is the current culture at West Lakes. Nicks has scapegoated everyone he can, but the board are yet to provide their scapegoat to make themselves look good. So that wouldnt surprise me.

I would seek out Simpson and Buckley though. Buckley wont do it, but I think Simpson could be well worth asking the question.

I'm sufficiently deluded/optimistic that I think this debacle might actually lead to some changes in the footy department/coaches box but we'll see!
I admire your positivity. I really do. However, after 26 years of this garbage and not much hope on the horizon I'm just about done. Definitely done with my membership. I think if you are "all in" type this club really does have an adverse impact on your life. I still support the players (some of them) but I think the club is rotten to the core and at every level.

It makes it even worse that the filth has been able to build a much better list over the last decade even though we had better picks.

Criticise Nicks, as is everyone's perogative .....but Clarko only finished with 3 wins for the year, after 2 rounds of Draft Compo picks, and a far better midfield than ours.
When Nicks took over, we were 11th, then 18th which was a distinct drop.
Clarko took on NM when they were 2nd-bottom, now ... same.
How about we see where NM is AFTER another 4 years of Clarko? That's the only comparison that makes any sense.
The Coach can only maximise the list at his disposal .....and it's arguable that Nicks outperformed Clarko .....or give me evidence to the contrary
Well, we can do a year-by-year comparison.
I think after their first years with their new Clubs, Clarkson is slightly ahead I'd say, but to be fair Clarko has experience behind him; years of Coaching, years of winning, losing, years of Finals so the comparison is skewed his way.
It's be fairer to compare the newest Coaches to Nicks after their first, second, third etc years.
OK, Adelaide is ranked 11th in 2024 for career goals; what do "career" goals mean, please?
Where were Adelaide in 2023?

I agree with a lot of your points but surely even you can admit, perhaps he is struggling to get the best out of the squad. In 5 years he really has provided no evidence of achieving anything.
My POV is on record ....and I disagree vehemently, he hasn't maximised the list at his disposal

Name players then ...who haven't developed ?

Nankervis, Michalanney, Keays, Rankine, Thilthorpe, Sholl .....please, tell me who has regressed ??

Is Dawson a better player at ADEL than SYD ?

Is Keane a better player at ADEL than COLL ....what about Murray from the bush, is he going backwards

Frankly you don't know what you're talking about

The issue is consistency & connection .....young kids CANNOT be consistent .....you see the good, but fail to recognise the inconsistency Qtr to Qtr, game by game

I won't read anymore of your post, this part stopped me in my tracks

So you were prepared to be out of the Finals for the first 2 years 20/21 .....in a full rebuild, and Covid
If you don't understand the restrictions Covid put on a young group, new gameplan and Coach ......maybe do some research

So on your expectations .....If I'm a NORTH supporter, then Clarkson gets the sack next year .....no if's and maybe's
NORTH still bottom after 2 rounds of Draft Compo picks .....and the Club was above us when we bottomed out
If you want to roll in the last 2 years of Calrko's reign at HAW, that's 4 years of failure ......gotta be sacked under your criteria

Then obviously Brad Scott is gone as well ....ESS, is it 21 years without a Finals win ?

So do you agree ....Scott, and Clarko gone next year ?

I would suggest Clarkson was given a mandate to build a squad over a period of time. Which I have no doubt Nicks had as well.

Covid was so detrimental that only North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide are the only three sides to not play finals since that time. Yet at the same time we should have played last year. So thats an interesting dilemma for the narrative isnt it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Nicks took over, we were 11th, then 18th which was a distinct drop.
Clarko took on NM when they were 2nd-bottom, now ... same.
How about we see where NM is AFTER another 4 years of Clarko? That's the only comparison that makes any sense.

Well, we can do a year-by-year comparison.
I think after their first years with their new Clubs, Clarkson is slightly ahead I'd say, but to be fair Clarko has experience behind him; years of Coaching, years of winning, losing, years of Finals so the comparison is skewed his way.
It's be fairer to compare the newest Coaches to Nicks after their first, second, third etc years.

OK, Adelaide is ranked 11th in 2024 for career goals; what do "career" goals mean, please?
Where were Adelaide in 2023?
Now all you're doing is changing the goalposts of your own stated expectations to suit the narrative that suits you

All you've now said, is that you do not believe what you just posted ....was 2 years, but now you make it 4 years

You're consistently inconsistent

My POV is on record ....and I disagree vehemently, he hasn't maximised the list at his disposal

Name players then ...who haven't developed ?

Nankervis, Michalanney, Keays, Rankine, Thilthorpe, Sholl .....please, tell me who has regressed ??

Is Dawson a better player at ADEL than SYD ?

Is Keane a better player at ADEL than COLL ....what about Murray from the bush, is he going backwards

Frankly you don't know what you're talking about

The issue is consistency & connection .....young kids CANNOT be consistent .....you see the good, but fail to recognise the inconsistency Qtr to Qtr, game by game

You know full well there are development coaches, line coaches under Nicks. You can not in all serious gift Nicks natural progression. When for every player you name, I can name some that not only didnt develop but who he put stupid amount of games into.

Pedlar, Murphy, Schoenberg, McHenry, Jones, McAsey, Cook, Borlase. Its dumb to state, oh Nicks is a genius for these players who are stars but these plebs are the players fault. Like cmon, its the same or it isnt. But that isnt my gripe at all anyway.

The mistakes on game day. The poor selection, the inexcusable game plan changes. Thats not getting the best out of the team. Throwing development out the water for a tilt at finals only to screw over your depth and be exposed with half a dozen injuries. Also not removing players from the best 23 for poor form.

I would suggest Clarkson was given a mandate to build a squad over a period of time. Which I have no doubt Nicks had as well.

Covid was so detrimental that only North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide are the only three sides to not play finals since that time. Yet at the same time we should have played last year. So thats an interesting dilemma for the narrative isnt it?
How many teams changed Coaches at the onset of Covid ? ......then tell me, how many Clubs started a full rebuild at the same time ?

Couldn't train a gameplan as a group ....runners were given harsh restrictions on access during games, impacting young teams, with new gameplans more than the more experienced Clubs

You just don't get it

Final comment (to you) .....the Club has been ultra quick over its history to sack underperforming coaches .....the Club has been well aware of supporter frustration with the rebuild

I know I won't get an intelligent answer .....but despite history and pressure, the Club still extended Nicks .....don't for one minute think they're stupid people .....they're not

How many teams changed Coaches at the onset of Covid ? ......then tell me, how many Clubs started a full rebuild at the same time ?

Couldn't train a gameplan as a group ....runners were given harsh restrictions on access during games, impacting young teams, with new gameplans more than the more experienced Clubs

You just don't get it

Final comment (to you) .....the Club has been ultra quick over its history to sack underperforming coaches .....the Club has been well aware of supporter frustration with the rebuild

I know I won't get an intelligent answer .....but despite history and pressure, the Club still extended Nicks .....don't for one minute think they're stupid people .....they're not

Did we start a full rebuild? Nicks first team against Sydney just before Covid was our best 22 under Pyke. Hardly a sign we were interested in a rebuild.

Also we should have played finals in 2023. So how is that explained away under the same covid narrative of woe is Nicks, he is not at fault.

You know full well there are development coaches, line coaches under Nicks. You can not in all serious gift Nicks natural progression. When for every player you name, I can name some that not only didnt develop but who he put stupid amount of games into.

Pedlar, Murphy, Schoenberg, McHenry, Jones, McAsey, Cook, Borlase. Its dumb to state, oh Nicks is a genius for these players who are stars but these plebs are the players fault. Like cmon, its the same or it isnt. But that isnt my gripe at all anyway.

The mistakes on game day. The poor selection, the inexcusable game plan changes. Thats not getting the best out of the team. Throwing development out the water for a tilt at finals only to screw over your depth and be exposed with half a dozen injuries. Also not removing players from the best 23 for poor form.
So these are the players you're claiming haven't developed under Nicks ....of a list of 40+, that's pretty small

Cook has most definitely improved
Schoenberg .....yep, I'll give that
McHenry ....Yep
Borlaise .....I don't rate him, but you're not serious if you're suggesting he hasn't improved
McAsey .....give me a break, he quit due to mental health ....sorry if in your mind mental health is minimised

Now given not every draftee isn't going to make it ....and that's a statistical fact .....you really haven't put up any argument

Far more have progressed and are playing better footy ....so your argument is completely invalid

I give you a "F"

I am not expecting it. But scapegoating is the current culture at West Lakes. Nicks has scapegoated everyone he can, but the board are yet to provide their scapegoat to make themselves look good. So that wouldnt surprise me.

I would seek out Simpson and Buckley though. Buckley wont do it, but I think Simpson could be well worth asking the question.
I would take anyone that would have the balls to come in and demand change. The last thing we need is another rookie coach that will bow down to the 'crows way'.
We've won nothing in nearly 30 years. The Crows way is not good enough.

Buckley wouldn't take the job, not while he has idiots like Roo looking over his shoulder.
BUT, if you offered him the job with a mandate to change the internal structure and that he gets to put in place who he wants, then maybe he could be enticed.
Of course we would never do that - too many people interested in maintaining their position in the status quo.

You just don't get it

30 years of mediocrity suggests otherwise.

I gotta be honest, I shake my head at your logic, everytime you post ........sorry, I don't want to be mean, but have you tried thinking a bit deeper than direct comparisons ....I know you're fairly inexperienced, but a rebuild versus a mature team is not a direct statistical comparison

Are you kidding?

You're the one who continually brings up names like Longmuir, McRae etc whenever people discuss why Nicks should be sacked.

The only reason why people are comparing them is because you're constantly trying to correlate them together and no one can understand your logic.

Are you kidding?

You're the one who continually brings up names like Longmuir, McRae etc whenever people discuss why Nicks should be sacked.

The only reason why people are comparing them is because you're constantly trying to correlate them together and no one can understand your logic.
No you can't ....because you don't try and understand the point

People skim posts, and move on .....most of my posts are longish, and people really don't read them

You just don't get it

I never said that and you shouldnt insult people just because they disagree with you. As I said, I do agree with a lot of your points. Its a shame you have decided you are nothing but right and everyone else is wrong and you choose to ignore all the good points we make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back