Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

119others

The Crows are coming
Apr 19, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Last edited by a moderator:
Dangerfield progressed from being “okay” to a near-draft certainty after Ogilvie and co. saw him play a few more times in ‘07’ …

“The AIS team played another game against a WAFL side, this time Swan Districts at Leederville Oval. I can remember the game vividly … even where we were sitting to watch. Swan Districts weren’t quite as good as West Perth, but they still had quite a few men in their side.

“There was this kid, Dangerfield, just running with the ball up and down the wing. Matty Rendell and I looked at each other, smiled and started laughing.

“From that moment on, we knew we wanted to pick Patty if we had the chance.

“There was another occasion that stands out in my mind and I still tease Patty about it today. I was watching him play out at Dandenong one day. It’s a pretty small ground and it gets really windy.

“Patty was doing the kick-ins and he kicked three-in-a-row out on the full, straight into the cars. It was like the ground couldn’t contain his kick, but he just didn’t read the wind very well. On a normal ground, the kicks probably would’ve been okay down the boundary line, but these blew out.

“The thing I loved was that when it came time for the fourth kick-in, Patty grabbed the ball again and was prepared to give it another go. He’d made three big howlers, but he wasn’t frightened to try again … he hit the fourth kick perfectly. He got another tick that day for showing he had balls of steel and wasn’t worried about making mistakes.”

So, Dangerfield wasn’t perfect, but he had something special …

“Patty didn’t have a standout year in ‘07’ by any means, but he did some really good things. He’d showed he wasn’t worried about making a few blues, that he had a defensive side to his game and was prepared to play on an opponent.

“Maybe, we just saw him on the right days. At that stage, Matty and I had a thing about wanting to draft blokes with a bit of ‘X-factor’. We had a lot of guys in a similar mould in a structured system and we wanted to add a bit more speed and spunk to compliment the group.

“Patty certainly fit the criteria. We saw him becoming a big, powerful midfielder and a good finals player – he had finals qualities.”

Looked at Murphy's stats in 4th quarters this year

Cats - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 5 pressure acts
Dockers - 2 disposals, 2 pressure acts
Pies - 1 disposal, 5 pressure acts
Eagles - 5 disposals, 1 tackle, 4 pressure acts
Hawks - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 3 pressure acts
Tigers - 2 disposals, 6 pressure acts
Swans - 3 disposals, 4 tackles, 10 pressure acts
Giants - 3 disposals, 3 pressure acts, 1 behind
Lions - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 5 pressure acts
Saints - 0 disposals, 5 tackles, 6 pressure acts
Bombers - 1 disposal
Hawks - 3 disposals, 2 pressure acts
Cats - 1 disposal, 1 pressure act

Those last 3 weeks stick out like dogs balls in particular. You could at least argue he was providing some level of pressure, even if he wasn't winning the ball from it, but even that dried up recently late in games.

Dangerfield progressed from being “okay” to a near-draft certainty after Ogilvie and co. saw him play a few more times in ‘07’ …

“The AIS team played another game against a WAFL side, this time Swan Districts at Leederville Oval. I can remember the game vividly … even where we were sitting to watch. Swan Districts weren’t quite as good as West Perth, but they still had quite a few men in their side.

“There was this kid, Dangerfield, just running with the ball up and down the wing. Matty Rendell and I looked at each other, smiled and started laughing.

“From that moment on, we knew we wanted to pick Patty if we had the chance.

“There was another occasion that stands out in my mind and I still tease Patty about it today. I was watching him play out at Dandenong one day. It’s a pretty small ground and it gets really windy.

“Patty was doing the kick-ins and he kicked three-in-a-row out on the full, straight into the cars. It was like the ground couldn’t contain his kick, but he just didn’t read the wind very well. On a normal ground, the kicks probably would’ve been okay down the boundary line, but these blew out.

“The thing I loved was that when it came time for the fourth kick-in, Patty grabbed the ball again and was prepared to give it another go. He’d made three big howlers, but he wasn’t frightened to try again … he hit the fourth kick perfectly. He got another tick that day for showing he had balls of steel and wasn’t worried about making mistakes.”

So, Dangerfield wasn’t perfect, but he had something special …

“Patty didn’t have a standout year in ‘07’ by any means, but he did some really good things. He’d showed he wasn’t worried about making a few blues, that he had a defensive side to his game and was prepared to play on an opponent.

“Maybe, we just saw him on the right days. At that stage, Matty and I had a thing about wanting to draft blokes with a bit of ‘X-factor’. We had a lot of guys in a similar mould in a structured system and we wanted to add a bit more speed and spunk to compliment the group.

“Patty certainly fit the criteria. We saw him becoming a big, powerful midfielder and a good finals player – he had finals qualities.”
Good article. I remember them saying how impressive he was as an individual and parents. Almost certain Rendell said they rated Danger only behind Cotchin on their talent order

Also remember Rioli tanking his interview talk in the media at the time

Bombers - 1 disposal

Those last 3 weeks stick out like dogs balls in particular. You could at least argue he was providing some level of pressure, even if he wasn't winning the ball from it, but even that dried up recently late in games.
Shocking. Only once above 3 possessions and that was in Weagles thrashing

Bombers - 1 disposal

Not someone you want in your team when the game is on the line.

We would have been better off if we had subbed him at 3 quarter time in all games where we have not had an injury.

Not someone you want in your team when the game is on the line.

We would have been better off if we had subbed him at 3 quarter time in all games where we have not had an injury.
in his career he has only ever been the sub twice and subbed off twice. What a fail by Nicks.

It was a no-brainer move to sub off Crouch during the 3rd as he was struggling with a lack of match fitness.

Problem is we have a no brain coach.

Completely inept strategically... & this will never change as he doesn't have it!
And in true fashion Nicks shared the blame for his inaction by ensuring his assistant coaches were included with his use of the word ‘we’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, needs replacing ASAP. He is our one remaining UNIVERSAL whipping boy.

Disappointing years by 3 small forwards - Murph, McH and esp Peds

We will get a whole new whipping boy. Thats a certainty. But Murphy is a different breed. Ive said it before. We used to complain about their quality of football now we complain they arent even a footballer. The standards by the supporters have unquestionably dropped now. We used to never accept a coach like Nicks, not in a million years. A narrative of a rebuild gets fed and some people have lowered their standards so much they cant see the reality anymore. There are supporters who still think Nicks is a Rookie coach with a team of teenagers and its not until you point out the stats, do they realise its not the case. But the club continues to feed the young player rookie coach narrative.

Different times and all that but in light of the discussion about Nicks being a young coach in his fifth year, how long did it take for the media/supporters to realise that some of the great coaches of the past e.g. Sheedy, Matthews had that something extra that set them apart?

(NOT implying that Nicks does in spite of the protestations from our hierarchy - I was almost a lone fan in the Joel Selwood the other day screaming for Curtin to come on!)

I know we've discussed it before but we also need viable alternatives. Buckley I think was too defensive which doesn't suit our group. Adam Simpson? WC from memory seemed to succeed with that uncontested, chipping the ball around the boundary type play and the web defence that was different to how Richmond played. He does have a track record though.

Different times and all that but in light of the discussion about Nicks being a young coach in his fifth year, how long did it take for the media/supporters to realise that some of the great coaches of the past e.g. Sheedy, Matthews had that something extra that set them apart?

(NOT implying that Nicks does in spite of the protestations from our hierarchy - I was almost a lone fan in the Joel Selwood the other day screaming for Curtin to come on!)

I know we've discussed it before but we also need viable alternatives. Buckley I think was too defensive which doesn't suit our group. Adam Simpson? WC from memory seemed to succeed with that uncontested, chipping the ball around the boundary type play and the web defence that was different to how Richmond played. He does have a track record though.

I dont bye the viable alternatives line. Youve made great points but to me a viable alternative is a cop out used by clubs to silence. Fact is all coaches have to start somewhere. Everyone unless theyve had senior coaching experience is an unknown. Will the next coach be better than Nicks? who knows. But at least weve gone through the process to bloody well try.

We will get a whole new whipping boy. Thats a certainty. But Murphy is a different breed. Ive said it before. We used to complain about their quality of football now we complain they arent even a footballer. The standards by the supporters have unquestionably dropped now. We used to never accept a coach like Nicks, not in a million years. A narrative of a rebuild gets fed and some people have lowered their standards so much they cant see the reality anymore. There are supporters who still think Nicks is a Rookie coach with a team of teenagers and its not until you point out the stats, do they realise its not the case. But the club continues to feed the young player rookie coach narrative.

Partly right. The young team is absolutely still correct - but the rookie coach thing isn’t.
Remember last year we had Sloane, Doedee and McAdam (to a lesser extent) playing. We had Smith every week up to the last few.

We have replaced McHenry, Jones and Schoenberg with Dowling Taylor and Bond

So we aren’t improving our age profile at all - so the young part stays. Suspect we have had the youngest/second youngest side for the last month? Someone probably has those stats

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sheedy start 1980? And Essendon stayed in the bottom 6 but 81 started moving

Malthouse at footscray 1984 got them to 2nd place in 85

Swoon!😍
Did anyone catch Kingsley with the Players, Friends & Families in the room after their win? (on 360 tonight)

Just on ages.
Found the numbers on it by week and it’s interesting to look at. On average on the weekend Geelong were 50 games per player more experienced than we were
The Hawks were only 24 games, and Essendon 43 games per player more experienced over the past few weeks

Over the year we have been more experienced than our opposition once - when we played North, and essentially even in the round 2 clash v Freo

Outside of this we have had a handful of games where we have been within 20 games of our oppo

And then some shockers like the game v Sydney where they had an average of 121 games played v us at just 63

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we've all worked at places where the boss/manager was TOO nice - and it most cases, it isn't a good thing.

People take the piss, don't work as hard, needed decisions aren't made, hard discussions avoided, etc.

A culture of performance and accountability can still be a friendly and caring one (as it should be), but a 'too nice' culture can rarely result in high performance.
images-3.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back