Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont bye the viable alternatives line. Youve made great points but to me a viable alternative is a cop out used by clubs to silence. Fact is all coaches have to start somewhere. Everyone unless theyve had senior coaching experience is an unknown. Will the next coach be better than Nicks? who knows. But at least weve gone through the process to bloody well try.
We have nothing to lose - Nicks is as bad a senior coach as you can get in the AFL, so what's the harm in trying someone else? Almost anyone would be better. And every year (or month) we persist with Nicks is more development time wasted, more time for the next good coach to be taken by another club, and more time for our good players to get fed up and leave.

We have nothing to lose - Nicks is as bad a senior coach as you can get in the AFL, so what's the harm in trying someone else? Almost anyone would be better. And every year (or month) we persist with Nicks is more development time wasted, more time for the next good coach to be taken by another club, and more time for our good players to get fed up and leave.
The fly would be better

But yes we would not be worse off

When has he made a change that you thought was courageous or out of the box thinking?

Courageous- maybe dropping ROB for Strachan.
Out of the box - maybe playing 4 talls up forward against the fast rebounding hawks.

I can't think of anything else. He has loser instincts.

When has he made a change that you thought was courageous or out of the box thinking?

Courageous- maybe dropping ROB for Strachan.
Out of the box - maybe playing 4 talls up forward against the fast rebounding hawks.

I can't think of anything else. He has loser instincts.

I think Nicks has tried many different things. He often gets blasted as being stubborn, but overall I think he has shown a real willingness to make adjustments and moves.

The issue - is as you put it - he has loser instincts. He is absolutely woeful at tactics and adjustments.

Out of the box - Pedlar on Stewart, playing star draftee for 6% of game time, going small against Richmond last year, completely changing gameplan in rd 2 of 2022, subbing out Soligo against Collingwood, changing gameplan to start 2024.

Looked at Murphy's stats in 4th quarters this year

Cats - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 5 pressure acts
Dockers - 2 disposals, 2 pressure acts
Pies - 1 disposal, 5 pressure acts
Eagles - 5 disposals, 1 tackle, 4 pressure acts
Hawks - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 3 pressure acts
Tigers - 2 disposals, 6 pressure acts
Swans - 3 disposals, 4 tackles, 10 pressure acts
Giants - 3 disposals, 3 pressure acts, 1 behind
Lions - 2 disposals, 1 tackle, 5 pressure acts
Saints - 0 disposals, 5 tackles, 6 pressure acts
Bombers - 1 disposal
Hawks - 3 disposals, 2 pressure acts
Cats - 1 disposal, 1 pressure act

Those last 3 weeks stick out like dogs balls in particular. You could at least argue he was providing some level of pressure, even if he wasn't winning the ball from it, but even that dried up recently late in games.

Yet certain posters will still come in here with all seriousness and try and tell us that he actually "had a pretty good game" and everyone else just has preconceived hatred for him irrespective of real stats like the above.

So who was the ideal match up if the underdone Nick Murray and Josh Worrell couldn't get the job done? God forbid Keane or Borlase? Truth is we didn't have an ideal match up size and tank wise.
Worrell underdone? He’s been running for months and played the week before.

Murray missed one week with an injury.

Again if it’s not Nicks coaching, it’s got to be our list of defenders. I’ve shown you Camerons recent goal kicking where Norths sorry list of KPD kept him to 2 goals.

So which is it, Nicks or Hamish?

I think Nicks has tried many different things. He often gets blasted as being stubborn, but overall I think he has shown a real willingness to make adjustments and moves.

The issue - is as you put it - he has loser instincts. He is absolutely woeful at tactics and adjustments.

Out of the box - Pedlar on Stewart, playing star draftee for 6% of game time, going small against Richmond last year, completely changing gameplan in rd 2 of 2022, subbing out Soligo against Collingwood, changing gameplan to start 2024.
Going back in time now... but picking an injured Lynch as the sub was gold too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again if it’s not Nicks coaching, it’s got to be our list of defenders. I’ve shown you Camerons recent goal kicking where Norths sorry list of KPD kept him to 2 goals.

Geelong were +20 for clearances and +16 for I50’s so our rubbish midfield setup (which Nicks chooses) was more to blame than our defenders.

Stubborn also mean making the obvious changes way too long out of necessity.

Do me a favour and give it a rest, I have no interest in your continual trolling with the same shit over and over.

Do me a favour and give it a rest, I have no interest in your continual trolling with the same shit over and over.
Look, you made a point and tried to deflect from any criticism from Nicks. I’ve pointed out with legitimate examples that your excuse is bogus and have asked for a comment. That’s what people do on this board, discuss and debate.

You won’t because it might mean you actually have to criticise someone at the club.

If you’re that precious that you won’t provide an opinion that’s on you, not me, calling it as trolling is weak as piss.

Look, you made a point and tried to deflect from any criticism from Nicks. I’ve pointed out with legitimate examples that your excuse is bogus and have asked for a comment. That’s what people do on this board, discuss and debate.

You won’t because it might mean you actually have to criticise someone at the club.

If you’re that precious that you won’t provide an opinion that’s on you, not me, calling it as trolling is weak as piss.
I don't want to put you on ignore but I don't need this same old same old shit over and over. I don't come on here looking for an argument or to harass other posters who I may not agree with, I'm always prepared to agree to disagee and move on, clearly you're not.

I don't want to put you on ignore but I don't need this same old same old shit over and over. I don't come on here looking for an argument or to harass other posters who I may not agree with, I'm always prepared to agree to disagee and move on, clearly you're not.
That’s fair but is it that much to ask for an opinion? Especially when you’ve made a point of trying to protect club criticism?

lol that is a very nice nice way to describe his coaching. if david noble had this list would he be coaching better than nicks? wouldnt know but i'd bet my money on noble.

Have to agree. norths 2 years under Noble are as good or better than the 2 years under Clarkson (same win/loss) so perhaps Noble was underestimated?

Particularly given he didn’t have Sheezel, Wardlaw, Xerri etc who are easily in the best 10 players on their list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

McHenry on AA just now toeing the company line about not getting Curtin on due to the fear of upsetting momentum.

Two issues with this thinking.

Bad message to Curtin, coach has no faith in him as a player.

Secondly Nicks basically admitting he as a coach is loathe to make changes.

I bet Clarko/Simpson/C Scott/Longimire/Hardwick/Beveridge never sat back and put his team on cruise control in fear of losing the game.

One thing to say it in a post match presser, even worse to have the players regurgitate it.

Terrible decision maker. And no ability to back himself in.

Bad traits as a coach, or any leader.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back