Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

McHenry on AA just now toeing the company line about not getting Curtin on due to the fear of upsetting momentum.

Two issues with this thinking.

Bad message to Curtin, coach has no faith in him as a player.

Secondly Nicks basically admitting he as a coach is loathe to make changes.

I bet Clarko/Simpson/C Scott/Longimire/Hardwick/Beveridge never sat back and put his team on cruise control in fear of losing the game.

One thing to say it in a post match presser, even worse to have the players regurgitate it.

Terrible decision maker. And no ability to back himself in.

Bad traits as a coach, or any leader.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

McHenry does it every week which is what you would expect - toe the party line but if he isn’t getting a contract, which he probably isn’t, then for gods sake at least show a set of balls.

He really needs to explain how we had 16 less Inside 50s, 20 less clearances and 23 less contested possession but win hitouts by 26.

Thank god our 5 forwards (Murphy isn’t one) are very efficient.

I can't believe the Firmly no (he should be sacked) option in the poll has dropped about 2% over the last week!

Has this thread vote been hijacked by a bunch of AFC bots? :eekv1: :eekv1: :eekv1:

Have to agree. norths 2 years under Noble are as good or better than the 2 years under Clarkson (same win/loss) so perhaps Noble was underestimated?

Particularly given he didn’t have Sheezel, Wardlaw, Xerri etc who are easily in the best 10 players on their list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Given we know that high quality coaches have pretty consistently struggled when given poor lists, I wonder how many really good coaches have been written off as useless because that was their first job instead of their second. If Pagan's tenure at Carlton was his first role does he get another chance?

Given we know that high quality coaches have pretty consistently struggled when given poor lists, I wonder how many really good coaches have been written off as useless because that was their first job instead of their second. If Pagan's tenure at Carlton was his first role does he get another chance?
Nicks can argue that at his next interview!

McHenry on AA just now toeing the company line about not getting Curtin on due to the fear of upsetting momentum.

I bet Clarko/Simpson/C Scott/Longimire/Hardwick/Beveridge never sat back and put his team on cruise control in fear of losing the game.

One thing to say it in a post match presser, even worse to have the players regurgitate it.

Hypothetical: If Brodie Smith was the sub, would he have played more than 4 minutes of game time?

Its just like an extra interchange! Silly argument.

Just negative and conservative from Nicks, it's just a loser mentality.

I'd like a coach to think that we have a talented young player with fresh legs on the bench.
Lets get him on and see if that will help us win the game.

I'd like a coach to think that we have a talented young player with fresh legs on the bench.

And also... What momentum?

TT kicked his goal 2 minutes into the last quarter. At no point after that did it look like we had any momentum. We shut up shop. Geelong were banging down the doors and we were barely resisting. Momentum on our side was non existent.

And does anyone remember who eventually kicked the goal to put Geelong in front?

Lawson Humphries. Drafted at pick 63 in last year's draft. Playing in his 6th AFL game. Could be something in that.

TT kicked his goal 2 minutes into the last quarter. At no point after that did it look like we had any momentum. We shut up shop. Geelong were banging down the doors and we were barely resisting. Momentum on our side was non existent.

And does anyone remember who eventually kicked the goal to put Geelong in front?

Lawson Humphries. Drafted at pick 63 in last year's draft. Playing in his 6th AFL game. Could be something in that.
It's just frustrating on so many levels
It would be nice if a journalist actually questioned some of Nicks BS in the pressers

Hypothetical: If Brodie Smith was the sub, would he have played more than 4 minutes of game time?
Of course he would. Bring in your experienced heads in times of pressure. That's not a sackable offence though is it? Most coaches would do the same, I believe. The issue isn't that he didn't want to rock the momentum boat... but that he took so long to change it once the momentum had changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

which came from Soligo not getting the free kick for in the back..

Watch when Collingwood bring on a young player from the sub … it’s an exciting thing that they embrace. Much more what I’d want to see.

Hawthorn have made Luke Breust sub for most of the season.

I'd love for us to do that with Smith.

Five years into a rebuild and we are still a bottom 4 side.

Pretty simple when you boil it down.
Thats why he is so desperate to win games now to push out of the bottom 4.

To make his resume look better at the detriment of our draft position.

It happens every time we hit the front in the last vs good opponents. We change game plans to protect the lead, lose any ability to score, and lose the match because the other team attacks unchecked until they get in front again. There are 15 or so examples of this. The only times we win close games are where we hit the front right at the end and there isnt enough time for the opposition to score again (Carlton, Essendon)

To make his resume look better at the detriment of our draft position.
Its already been stamped Senior Assistant

There would not be a club or club CEO that has Nicks on speed dial for a senior coaching job interview

None

It happens every time we hit the front in the last vs good opponents. We change game plans to protect the lead, lose any ability to score, and lose the match because the other team attacks unchecked until they get in front again. There are 15 or so examples of this. The only times we win close games are where we hit the front right at the end and there isnt enough time for the opposition to score again (Carlton, Essendon)

We have a game plan? Bloke doesn't even know when he has a fly on his dome.

No other AFL club would even look at nicks unless that club is mediocre like Adelaide is. Less than 40% winning record over his 5 years any other club would have gotten rid of him by now.
Which makes our need to extend his contract so early in the season, such a poor management decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back