Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You overlook the change in pecking order .....there were times Soligo was the main mid ....he should still be 3rd / 4th Mid

You don't value the loss of Worrell ?

Geesus, you keep going back to this "Nicks can't get us back into Finals" in year 5 of a rebuild .....still quoting the first 2 years of the rebuild as failure by Nicks, because he couldn't get us in the Finals those 2 years .....that is such an ignorant POV

Now if you're an ESS or CARL supporter ....you have every right to be ****** given the maturity of those two lists

There is only one ignorant person on this thread and it ain’t me.

An apologist for the club who accepts mediocrity.

There is only one ignorant person on this thread and it ain’t me.

An apologist for the club who accepts mediocrity.
I have never accepted mediocrity in my life on any level .....it's the one thing no-one has or ever could accuse me of

But whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I do put some rationale & thinking in the posts .....now others, just take the lazy approach and say

He's s***
I refuse to renew my membership .....as if that's ever made diddly squat of difference
I'm not watching another game ....as Drummond famously said, which was proven false shortly after

Kirky, when you actually put some thought into a post, then I'll read .....but I'm not a big comic person, so maybe don't waste those precious brain cells

The record of all our other sacked coaches in their final year

Graham Cornes: 9-1-12 87% - 32 games average list experience - SACKED
Robert Shaw: 8-14 96% - 49 games average list experience - SACKED
Gary Ayres: 8-14 96% - 74 games average list experience - SACKED
Neil Craig: 7-15 79% - 43 games average list experience - SACKED
Brenton Sanderson: 11-11 114% - 55 games average list experience - SACKED
Don Pyke: 10-12 101% - 71 games average list experience - SACKED
Matthew Nicks: 8-1-14 (likely) 99% (likely) - 52 games average list experience - SURVIVES

We've sacked coaches with better records, we've sacked coaches with less experienced lists, we've sacked coaches with better records AND less experience

Yet Nicks is on track to survive this season!?!?!

Fair enough with one game to go

I did say, I wanted to see how Nicks handled the adversity of the main post injury period ......it's a tick for me, and also it's only the ignorant footy boozy barrackers on BigFooty that even talk about Nicks tenure ....not one other entity, including the dumb-arse Rowe is discussing it
When you start a post like this, it sounds like you're in the same boat

I have never accepted mediocrity in my life on any level .....it's the one thing no-one has or ever could accuse me of

But whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I do put some rationale & thinking in the posts .....now others, just take the lazy approach
“I do put some rationale & thinking in the posts”

Good one

Instead of accusing others of being lazy morons in every one of your posts, how about you explain to us what it is you see in Nicks’ coaching, development, game plan, squad management, philosophies, messaging, future planning, etc. that doesn’t scream mediocre? (rhetorical question because we know you’re incapable of answering in good faith)

What about the last two years of their career

Graham Cornes - 21-1-20 SACKED
Robert Shaw - 17-27 SACKED
Gary Ayres - 17-18 SACKED
Neil Craig - 13-25 SACKED
Brenton Sanderson - 21-23 SACKED
Don Pyke - 22-22 SACKED
Matthew Nicks - 19-1-26 SURVIVES?

He's on track to win two more games than Robert Shaw over the last two years of their coaching stint, with Nicks losing one less game

Generally changing a paradigm is supposed to bring about something better than what came before. Under the old policy, Nicks would have been sacked at the end of 2021.
Only in your dreams .....and dreams are not reality based

Paradigms were meant to be broken .....the rules of even 15 years ago are no longer relevant

I don't agree

I would argue that Mitchell, Kingsley and Longmuir have already demonstrated the long held belief that good coaches will usually make their mark within 3 seasons.

This is why historically many coaches do not get longer than 3 years before they're sacked.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Nicks' 6th season will fare any better than Dew or Richardson's did.

Holding on to a coach that hasn't proven anything in the blind hope that one day someone will defy football history is pure lunacy.

When you start a post like this, it sounds like you're in the same boat
Nah, I joined BF in 2003 ....I had just retired from the corporate world and being in MELB was looking for info and discussion

Gotta say, the ADEL board had some fantastic contributors back then .....nowadays it's simply like all other Social Media ....toxic, and most of the great thinkers & knowledgeable footy heads have departed

I don't mind alternate POV's ......but FFS put some thought into it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would argue that Mitchell, Kingsley and Longmuir have already demonstrated the long held belief that good coaches will usually make their mark within 3 seasons.
The FREO board wanted Longmuir sacked last year .....I know for a fact, via my personal contact in coaching circles, GWS sat Kingsley down, last year, and had some tough discussions with him

“I do put some rationale & thinking in the posts”

Good one

Instead of accusing others of being lazy morons in every one of your posts, how about you explain to us what it is you see in Nicks’ coaching, development, game plan, squad management, philosophies, messaging, future planning, etc. that doesn’t scream mediocre? (rhetorical question because we know you’re incapable of answering in good faith)
Obviously you haven't read my posts .....because I've outlined my rationale many many times ....so I'm not repeating myself again ....try using the search function

Why don't you post your reasons for thinking he's mediocre .....and please do not post this S*** about not getting the Club into Finals during the rebuild ....I'll spew all over my tea

That was the old policy though. Somewhere along the way, the people leading this club got insecure about being too ruthless with coaches. Look at us now.
Cmon Moogles .....this Club has always been ruthless with Coaches ......Cornes finished 12th, Sanderson ....the only Coach IRRC that the Club was dragged kicking & screaming was Craigy

No, don't try and change history ....this club will make the hard call in a two team Country Town .....and with PORT up the top, that puts more pressure to make the right call

The Club has history of getting back to the 2017 GF after a mini-rebuild,in record time, after suffering 2 years of Draft sanctions

So lets not try and re-write history to suit a current narrative

Cmon Moogles .....this Club has always been ruthless with Coaches ......Cornes finished 12th, Sanderson ....the only Coach IRRC that the Club was dragged kicking & screaming was Craigy

No, don't try and change history ....this club will make the hard call in a two team Country Town .....and with PORT up the top, that puts more pressure to make the right call

The Club has history of getting back to the 2017 GF after a mini-rebuild,in record time, after suffering 2 years of Draft sanctions

So lets not try and re-write history to suit a current narrative
What is this gibberish? I'm saying Nicks is the first time we haven't been ruthless and it backfired horribly.

Obviously you haven't read my posts .....because I've outlined my rationale many many times ....so I'm not repeating myself again ....try using the search function

Why don't you post your reasons for thinking he's mediocre .....and please do not post this S*** about not getting the Club into Finals during the rebuild ....I'll spew all over my tea
Not only will we never win a final under him, I’m certain we’ll never make the 8 under him

I’m confident of this because he’s completely failed to set us up for genuine success since his appointment, his MO is aligned with the club’s as a whole sadly and it’d be why he won the job in the first place; try and scrape into finals relying on many of the resources we started with at the beginning of this “rebuild” and coach in a way that minimises blowouts so we can keep selling hope

It’s completely phoney and it’s dooming us to Essendon and St Kilda levels of pathetic for years to come. You seem to be enjoying the ride though so good for you

What is this gibberish? I'm saying Nicks is the first time we haven't been ruthless and it backfired horribly.
Maybe there's a reason .....the Club is correct in their assessment .....and you're wrong

There's nothing in the recent games to suggest Nicks is under any pressure whatsoever

It's certainly not the first time a Club has struck a bump in the road, and bounced back the next year .....IIRC West Coast was one such Club

Fair enough with one game to go

I did say, I wanted to see how Nicks handled the adversity of the main post injury period ......it's a tick for me, and also it's only the ignorant footy boozy barrackers on BigFooty that even talk about Nicks tenure ....not one other entity, including the dumb-arse Rowe is discussing it

There's no doubt, West Coast would be knocking on Nicks door, if he wasn't re-signed .....irrespective, that wasn't any more than a minor consideration ....he deserved the extra 2 years:

1. He plays a Finals brand of footy ....competitive, and never give up

2. There's zero doubt Nicks has the players .....you don't get the competitiveness if you haven't got the players

3. We are seeing every Club go thru 3-5 games of poor footy ....BRIS, COLL early ....CARL, SYD, WB, and the ever reliable flakey ESS
So are all those Coaches bad, should they be sacked ? .....or do "key" injuries play a bigger part than you're prepared to credit?

4. We still have a young list .....injuries to Thilthorpe, Murray, Rankine ect, impact us more than mature teams

I said, you judge a Coach on what he does with the list available to him :whitecheck: ......you can argue the timing of playing rookies, it's really a waste of time whether it's R5 or R15 ....makes no diff to a player's career

If you actually study Clubs playing of Rookies .....some rooks play early, then fade to not be seen again ...and then you have players like GEEL's Humphrey, and Mannagh play quite late in the season and perform well

I liked playing Curtin and Taylor in the MID against PORT ...even though, Curtin's a long way off being an AFL Mid, and even though we were being torn apart by PORT's Midfield

Mate I've seen enough of you...you are dead set fckn delusional. God I wish I could put you on ignore

But whether you agree or disagree with my thoughts, I do put some rationale & thinking in the posts .....now others, just take the lazy approach and say

He's s***
I refuse to renew my membership .....as if that's ever made diddly squat of difference
I'm not watching another game ....as Drummond famously said, which was proven false shortly after

Kirky, when you actually put some thought into a post, then I'll read .....but I'm not a big comic person, so maybe don't waste those precious brain cells
Thanks for the tag you clown.

I find it interesting, the ignorant vitriol towards Nicks has been devoid of any thinking rationale .....simply comments "he's ****"

I even love Kane McGoodwin POV that he will not be attending another Crows game until Nicks is sacked ....does anyone honestly believe that infantile statement .....of course he's attending games

Every Club has supporters, that on a losing streak, want everyone connected to the club sacked .....it's what social media has become, a place to vent .....not actually to think, or discuss

George Kramer went on for 10 years about David Mackay .....ultimately he was right ....he retired, after knocking back an offer for another season

Yes, ultimately Nicks, as all Coaches, will be sacked .....but it's not this year, as many suggested .....and I highly doubt it'll be next year

If I was a betting man, I could clean up on this board
Why would I renew my membership when we have no hope under Nicks

It's my only way of messaging the club I have lost faith in them.

I won't be alone Wayne, so feel to pass this on the club as their delusional mouthpiece.

There will be a drop in memberships.

The FREO board wanted Longmuir sacked last year .....I know for a fact, via my personal contact in coaching circles, GWS sat Kingsley down, last year, and had some tough discussions with him

I am not doubting what you're saying, however both coaches have already shown something that suggests that they're worth persevering with.

You can also list Hardwick and Thompson as coaches who had dark points in their careers where their calibre was questioned, however they had shown enough prior to that to justify keeping faith in them.

This is in stark difference to Nicks who hasn't shown anything yet that has justified the club continuing to maintain faith in him.

At this point no-one in their right mind would suggest that finals appear to be on the card for 2025.

How does the club go from most of us believing that finals in 2024 was a fait acompli to sides like Hawthorn leap frogging us and making us looking miles off the pace without having serious reservations about Nicks going forward?

Last edited:
If you have to think about it any more than that, you’re doing it wrong.

Even if you are being charitable, his record instantly disqualifies him — based on all the available metrics in the game’s entire history.

Nobody has survived a record like that. Not one person.

Let alone having another two years locked in.

Only this loser club could go from the disaster of the Burton appointment to extending one of the most unsuccessful coaches of the modern era.

We really are a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back