Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's be serious, this is where we as a club get to seriously flex. We tried to suspend Stengle for a full season when the AFL strike penalty would have been 4 weeks. It's our dna, we love this stuff.

Not just that either, but the club literally hung Stengle out to dry, sent him to WWT and gave him absolutely zero support at all.

I won't go into any further details publicly, but all I will say is that my son knows him and has been told a couple of things and let's just say the club couldn't have handled things any more poorly.

I've lost all enjoyment of the game.
I'm embarrassed to be a supporter.
I feel pretty much the same. It's a double-edged misery too; it sucks and blows.

I could never swap allegiances, but when I was away on biz the Bush Channel7 didn't show 2 of the Crows games and I didn't even watch the replays. I've watched too much shit Crows footy and losses over the last 5 years. I doubt that I'll watch the Sydney game this week (Rankine out, nothing to play for, Rachele dropped for being hmself) unless it turns out to be Tex's last game.
I intend to watch the AFLW Crows clobber Port.

I'm thinking of giving the 2025 Crows a miss, at least until Nicks is sacked anyway.

I agree with you on this. Rachele is more concerned about being the star of show than actually working on his game. His over celebration with forced antics for the crowd would have rubbed many team mates the wrong way. Its great when you are winning, but antics get old if you arent really performing when the going gets tough.

Such a typical Adelaide answer.

For once in the club's history, we have a kid who's got some talent and personality to go with it. Embrace it and learn to manage him—don't throw him under the bus. Educate him and back him in.

I know Stengle is different, but look at what a good club does when they manage and embrace certain attributes— Premiership player and All Australian...The pros far outweigh the cons

My favourite example is Dennis Rodman and Phil Jackson. Rodman was as loose as they come, but Jackson, being the open-minded leader that he is, embraced Rodman’s uniqueness, and look what it got him.

The Crows are so busy trying to mould every player that enters the club into the same parameters. They're the worst club (besides North) in the competition when it comes to development, if they don't suit a particular mould they're shunned from the inside and forced to change into the vanilla choir boy mindset. **** that.. Time for a change.

Oh and Nicks is a woeful coach.

Such a typical Adelaide answer.

For once in the club's history, we have a kid who's got some talent and personality to go with it. Embrace it and learn to manage him—don't throw him under the bus. Educate him and back him in.

I know Stengle is different, but look at what a good club does when they manage and embrace certain attributes— Premiership player and All Australian...The pros far outweigh the cons

My favourite example is Dennis Rodman and Phil Jackson. Rodman was as loose as they come, but Jackson, being the open-minded leader that he is, embraced Rodman’s uniqueness, and look what it got him.

The Crows are so busy trying to mould every player that enters the club into the same parameters. They're the worst club (besides North) in the competition when it comes to development, if they don't suit a particular mould they're shunned from the inside and forced to change into the vanilla choir boy mindset. **** that.. Time for a change.

Oh and Nicks is a woeful coach.
Didn't stengle very recently go out on a bender, had to go to hospital and their club still backed him in?

Ffs this club is sh1thouse... It's no wonder they persist with guys like murphy and McHenry...

All the above points are out of Nicks’ control.
  • players slipping and sliding like they’re on a summer vacation
Good Coaches get their blokes to train on wet, slippery ground under sprinklers for the conditions they had vs PA (slippery, anyway). Nicks is paid veryVERY well to teach our blokes how to handle a wet ball (knock it on, our way, at all costs/ have someone crumbing behind a pack for the ball that slips through hands etc) <== I know these things and I am not an AFL Coach.
Why doesn't Nicks?
  • some players persistently fumbling the ball
Absolutely on Nicks, again. He's the Coach, John. Make the training deck and footballs slippery.
PREPARE them, drill them, COACH them, ffs.
  • after the Rankine hit, we lost our focus and got suckered in by the Port players and the entire squad looked out of sorts, compared with their efforts in the earlier quarters.
Again, time for Nicks --- OUR COACH --- to step up.
Reset the team at 3/4 time. Calm them. Have a quick word to the really angry ones (forget the man, win the ball). Get their focus away from revenge and back to winning the footy.
Tell them to honour Rankine and the Club by playing better and winning the game.

Nicks failed on all your above points, mate.

Didn't stengle very recently go out on a bender, had to go to hospital and their club still backed him in?

Ffs this club is sh1thouse... It's no wonder they persist with guys like murphy and McHenry...

Its definitely a difference between cultures. AFC is scared of the Adelaide Media and the perfectionist demanding members that it jumps at shadows. Geelong basically controlled the narrative. Didnt let anyone from outside influence its decision making.

Good Coaches get their blokes to train on wet, slippery ground under sprinklers for the conditions they had vs PA (slippery, anyway). Nicks is paid veryVERY well to teach our blokes how to handle a wet ball (knock it on, our way, at all costs/ have someone crumbing behind a pack for the ball that slips through hands etc) <== I know these things and I am not an AFL Coach.
Why doesn't Nicks?

Absolutely on Nicks, again. He's the Coach, John. Make the training deck and footballs slippery.
PREPARE them, drill them, COACH them, ffs.

Again, time for Nicks --- OUR COACH --- to step up.
Reset the team at 3/4 time. Calm them. Have a quick word to the really angry ones (forget the man, win the ball). Get their focus away from revenge and back to winning the footy.
Tell them to honour Rankine and the Club by playing better and winning the game.

Nicks failed on all your above points, mate.

Nicks strikes me as the type of coach that when its raining, he does the old amateur league inside weights training session. lol

Maybe we could get together as a collective and surreptitiously dump a few bits at a time, Andy Dufresne style.

Maybe we could get away with some plausible deniability

For example, driving a truck filled with horse shit to the club claiming we're there to buy some merch at Crowmania on the way out to a farm, but oh no! There's a mechanical malfunction with the truck and it's accidentally unloaded all the shit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just that either, but the club literally hung Stengle out to dry, sent him to WWT and gave him absolutely zero support at all.

I won't go into any further details publicly, but all I will say is that my son knows him and has been told a couple of things and let's just say the club couldn't have handled things any more poorly.
I was not happy with Stengle's antics but I hoped the AFC would deal with it, in-house. I don't have the info you have, but the Crows couldn't/didn't make it work.
Stengle's better off at Geelong. Now a Premiership player and playing better there than when at AFC.
Better Club, better Coach, better culture.

I was not happy with Stengle's antics but I hoped the AFC would deal with it, in-house. I don't have the info you have, but the Crows couldn't/didn't make it work.
Stengle's better off at Geelong. Now a Premiership player and playing better there than when at AFC.
Better Club, better Coach, better culture.

The Crows wanted to send him to a Sanfl club for 12 months. What an absurd punishment and either they were arrogant enough to think hed take it or stupid enough to think hed take it. My take is they were arrogant and stupid. It was ill thought out, nothing more than a 'happy clapper pleaser punishment' aimed to silence the media. He told them to go **** themselves for scape goating him at the expense of party boys like Brad Crouch. Good for him. He made them look stupid and he became a premiership player. The AFC should be embarressed for the way they acted. Instead it looks like they havent learned a thing.

The Crows wanted to send him to a Sanfl club for 12 months. What an absurd punishment and either they were arrogant enough to think hed take it or stupid enough to think hed take it. My take is they were arrogant and stupid. It was ill thought out, nothing more than a 'happy clapper pleaser punishment' aimed to silence the media. He told them to go **** themselves for scape goating him at the expense of party boys like Brad Crouch. Good for him. He made them look stupid and he became a premiership player. The AFC should be embarressed for the way they acted. Instead it looks like they havent learned a thing.

That's not actually what happened.

I'm just going to say some of what I've been told.

Stengle was basically exiled to WWT and the club provided him with zero support and had no intentions of giving him another chance.

The only support he got during those 12 months was directly from WWT. The Crows apparently washed their hands of him and despite reaching out to the club numerous times he received absolutely zero support from the AFC to help him try and get his career back on track.

He 100% wanted to stay at the Crows and begged the club for another chance after the 12 months was up and they told him no and told him that if he wanted to play AFL again he'd have to go looking for a new club.

Maybe we could get together as a collective and surreptitiously dump a few bits at a time, Andy Dufresne style.
Great Escape style

MMbT5r.gif

Stengle was basically exiled to WWT and the club provided him with zero support and had no intentions of giving him another chance.

The only support he got during those 12 months was directly from WWT. The Crows apparently washed their hands of him and despite reaching out to the club numerous times he received absolutely zero support from the AFC to help him try and get his career back on track.

He 100% wanted to stay at the Crows and begged the club for another chance after the 12 months was up and they told him no and told him that if he wanted to play AFL again he'd have to go looking for a new club.
Didn't Adelaide want to banish him to our sanfl side? Stengle said no, took his payout and then played for WWT when off our books.

I agree with you on this. Rachele is more concerned about being the star of show than actually working on his game. His over celebration with forced antics for the crowd would have rubbed many team mates the wrong way. Its great when you are winning, but antics get old if you arent really performing when the going gets tough.

How would that rub his teammates the wrong way?

If a team mate of mine did that, I'd be pissing myself, then 100% have his back when the opposition came after him.

Let's be serious, this is where we as a club get to seriously flex. We tried to suspend Stengle for a full season when the AFL strike penalty would have been 4 weeks. It's our dna, we love this stuff.

Same as faux tough guy Brad Scott not giving Heppell a game last week - it's pissweak play acting of being strong.

At least WWT aren't ****ing losers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back