Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

That wasn't the question Kirky .....I said no-one's prepared to call out Dawson and Keys ....you simply confirmed, via not answering

If this is their idea, having failed themselves in their leadership duties after Rankine got knocked out, then they're going to join our conga line of leaders that have achieved SFA during their tenure with our club. But reality is that these guys are just puppets of the coaching group and none would be in the role if the coaching group didn't approve of them. It's not an open vote for a reason.

Trouble is people refuse to read properly....they see what they want to see

The irony of this comment aside, the fact that we are not able to use the ignore function on you and are thus subjected to your absolute drivel without reprieve is almost as big an indictment on this board as Nicks' premature extension is on the AFC board.

The irony of this comment aside, the fact that we are not able to use the ignore function on you and are thus subjected to your absolute drivel without reprieve is almost as big an indictment on this board as Nicks' premature extension is on the AFC board.
Thankyou .... I always enjoy your contributions

With all the talk mid-season of "Nicks doesn't have enough help in the box", to his constant comments on players failing in post-match pressers, to this it seems the only culture Nicks has created at the Crows is one where he is held completely unaccountable and it's somehow always someone else's fault when things go wrong.

I haven't read the rest of this but I absolutely disagree on the point you made that jumped out at me - if nothing else, Nicks has built a resilient team who NEVER give up.
Thanks for an interesting and thoughtful response. I apologise in advance for some niggly words below but I've had a gutful of Nicks and losing.

I disagree, with respect, but it probably hinges on what we think 'resilience' is.
I didn't look it up but I will; at time of writing I was thinking about strength, physical and mental, and the ability to stick at a task.
Our Crows are not a physically imposing side, nor do they play a particularly hard/tough game, but that's not about resilience. You said they "NEVER give up". Problem with 'NEVER' is that only one exception makes it false.
How about the Dockers game, Round 3, scoring 1.5 after half-time, NO goals in the last?
The Hawks game, Round 12, where the Hawks led by 8 goals at one stage, led all game, then cooled their heels after half time?
The Swans game, Round 14, kicking 3 goals to 10 after half time, one goal in the last?
How about the debacle in Round 20 when the Hawks held us GOALLESS after halfway through the second quarter (I cannot see any resilience there)?
How about last week's capitulation to PA who roughed them up and the Crows folded?
SOMETIMES, the Crows give up.

P.S. "resilience: noun, "an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change.".
The Crows: NOT resilient. With no such ability at all, Nicks himself is even less resilient.
Every Crows supporters I know at least agree on that point & it is frequently pointed out by so-called experts.
EVERY one? Not a one of them disappointed/pissed off with any of the losses above?
Please send me only one link where a so-called expert praises the Crows for their resilience? I can send you a few where they shred our midfield, lack of game plan and general softness when the heat is turned up <== that latter is because so many of our players are well-meaning, try-hard boys.
I was so disappointed that Nicks didn't get up straight after the Rankine blow & come down to the interchange bench to have one on ones with the players as they rotated.
I agree. He also had a chance to calm and re-focus them at 3/4 time and failed.
They were focussed in their attack on the man in the last 1/4, while Port walked away with the points.
That tells me that he is not the brightest spark
I agree. His game sense and understanding of game-fluctuation nuances and ability to make proactive changes are non-existent.
it is a young team & it was no surprise to me that they reacted in a an unfocussed manner.
PA have always played a filthy, attack-the-man game. They're grubs. They have to be, because they cannot win any other way.
We know that. Nicks knows it. The players know it and they won the last 3 Showdowns by playing better footy and NOT getting distracted by the 'incidental punishment' Port dishes out.
The Rankine hit was unfair, ugly, but typically grubby. Young team? We had close to our best team last week and they lost the plot. Not having Finals to play for (thanks, Nicks) they decided to retaliate and got done for it.
Worst of all, they couldn't win it for Rankine or Crows pride.

I think Nicks is way out of his depth.

We all know the kind of employee who doesn’t really know what they’re doing, isn’t really good at actually doing their job, but manages to gradually slide upwards, always reporting to another employee who also doesn’t really know what they’re doing, and likes having similar people around so they won’t be shown up. But they have learned the lingo, they can recite the hollow incantations, and so they survive, but over time the whole thing goes limp. The truly high performing people know their managers are not up to it, and they leave, or eventually they get cynical.
THIS!!
I was a High School teacher for many years and saw many Empire Builders, ie their own Empire/promotion/self-advancement "teachers" who stole others' ideas, took credit for others' achievements and knew all the right ways to shmooze School and Ed. Dept. Admin to slime their ways up the promotion ladder.
I'd say that less than half of the "seniors" or Faculty Leaders were any chop at teaching and the students knew it. They could spot a dud in the Classroom from Day One.
Too bad our Board is not that smart.

I have no problem with what Crouch did. The bloke was leaning over the fence abusing players, all he did was flick a hat. There’s a reason the general consensus is that he’s a flog for going to the police about it.

Yeah I dont think it went the way it thought. Even Port fans dont rate what he did and I think the PAFC would be seething behind closed doors.

The only way to make some sort of statement is to cancel your membership. A lot of people say they will, but then don't (I understand why - fear of losing seats is the main reason).

But, it's quite literally the only mechanism to make a statement.

Unfortunately the AFC have been always able to sell out memberships. If people dont renew you will get the club doing membership specials to bring in new members and there will be people that jump at the chance to get a deal. Wont change a thing.

Unfortunately the AFC have been always able to sell out memberships. If people dont renew you will get the club doing membership specials to bring in new members and there will be people that jump at the chance to get a deal. Wont change a thing.

I disagree.

They rely on their core base of 35k diehard, never-not-renew people (25+ year members). They know who they are. If they jump off quickly, it does send a message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The time has come.

I've officially detached myself from the club after 33 years.

They have killed the love I had for the game.
Their elitist, hypocrites and dishonest.
I can't support these campaigners any longer.
I will continue to hope they lose until Nicks is gone and only then will I ever consider supporting them again.

**** the crows organisation.
You stand for nothing except protecting your own selfish agenda.

Im interstate, so I can withhold my money and they can’t replace that (and I have since Roo told us to piss off, wish I could cancel all over again).

It was a ****ing dog act to us supporters to sign this arrogant loser up for another couple of years.

It wasnt a dog act to the supporter group. It was the club accepting mediocrity but praying if we gave the mediocre coach everything hed turn from an ugly duckling into a swan. Problem was it doesnt take 4 seasons for an ugly duckling to grow up into a swan. Sometimes an ugly duckling turns out to be nothing more than an ugly ****ing duck!

The club screwed up. They put the good PR of a possible finals appearance above the long term good of the club. But they got ahead of themselves. Based on absolutely nothing they though Nicks would take us to finals. He had a good run last year with an easy draw and very little injuries. Allowed him to coast using the same set of mediocre players.

But it was a highly arrogant and naive move. The decision makers forgot one damn thing, other teams in the competition. We were never the only team in the comp to potentially rise into finals contention. They didnt take into account other teams may go past us.

With all the talk mid-season of "Nicks doesn't have enough help in the box", to his constant comments on players failing in post-match pressers, to this it seems the only culture Nicks has created at the Crows is one where he is held completely unaccountable and it's somehow always someone else's fault when things go wrong.
Not even a world 1st brain transplant can save Nix...

Another outright lie.

Ginnivan absolutely has celebrated more than Rachele... yet how has Mitchell responded? Embraced his enthusiasm of his younger players, rather than holding them out to dry.

You are seriously clueless about managing people.. yet make fanciful claims you can rebuild teams in organisations. With your attitude, you would have as much success as Birdbrain did at the Crows.

Big Ange apparently had a huge impact on Mitchell after spending time together before the season - and this was one of the key lessons.

Meanwhile, we've got Nicks, the worst coach in the AFL by a mile - he's not only a shit coach, but he's actively damaging our club due to his stupidity .

**** off you absolute moron.

Big Ange apparently had a huge impact on Mitchell after spending time together before the season - and this was one of the key lessons.

Meanwhile, we've got Nicks, the worst coach in the AFL by a mile - he's not only a shit coach, but he's actively damaging our club due to his stupidity .

**** off you absolute moron.
Yes, it's the damage he doing to our best young talent that is now of most concern... but our club management are oblivious as they are clueless too.

I disagree.

They rely on their core base of 35k diehard, never-not-renew people (25+ year members). They know who they are. If they jump off quickly, it does send a message.

Based on the rhetoric of the club, the club wants people who arent Happy Clappers to piss off. The culture under Roo has always been an utter arrogant and elitist disdain for complaining supporters and media. Its flowed through every employee. From Silvers arrogance in press conferences to Nicks disinterest. No one at the club gives a flying crap about the supporters. And im telling you money is money. If you dont pay it, someone else will.

Based on the rhetoric of the club, the club wants people who arent Happy Clappers to piss off. The culture under Roo has always been an utter arrogant and elitist disdain for complaining supporters and media. Its flowed through every employee. From Silvers arrogance in press conferences to Nicks disinterest. No one at the club gives a flying crap about the supporters. And im telling you money is money. If you dont pay it, someone else will.
They are going to get their wish & lose a stack of members next season.

They have badly misread the room, because they have been advised by the Wayne's of this world that all is OK & they are on the right track.

The time has come.

I've officially detached myself from the club after 33 years.

They have killed the love I had for the game.
Their elitist, hypocrites and dishonest.
I can't support these campaigners any longer.
I will continue to hope they lose until Nicks is gone and only then will I ever consider supporting them again.

**** the crows organisation.
You stand for nothing except protecting your own selfish agenda.

Send this to AA, Rowey and Will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back