Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Secret is to not dump it. Just leave the shite filled truck parked in the carpark for the day. Alert the media. Enjoy the news bulletin that night. Should go national too.

Desperate times call for desperate decisions and actions.

If I lived in Adelaide I absolutely would do this. But it's a bit far for me.

True. A lot of negativity internally, but it was kept in-house. The process to remove him was actually quite controlled.

So yeah, scratch that thought bubble.

Doesnt mean it wont happen.

A losing season like this is a coach killer. Weve had multiple now and regardless of the 2023 sydney game we still didnt make finals.

Good Coaches get their blokes to train on wet, slippery ground under sprinklers for the conditions they had vs PA (slippery, anyway). Nicks is paid veryVERY well to teach our blokes how to handle a wet ball (knock it on, our way, at all costs/ have someone crumbing behind a pack for the ball that slips through hands etc) <== I know these things and I am not an AFL Coach.
Why doesn't Nicks?

Absolutely on Nicks, again. He's the Coach, John. Make the training deck and footballs slippery.
PREPARE them, drill them, COACH them, ffs.

Again, time for Nicks --- OUR COACH --- to step up.
Reset the team at 3/4 time. Calm them. Have a quick word to the really angry ones (forget the man, win the ball). Get their focus away from revenge and back to winning the footy.
Tell them to honour Rankine and the Club by playing better and winning the game.

Nicks failed on all your above points, mate.
Correct. Nicks is responsible for improving the skills of the whole squad.

Incorrect. He isn’t responsible for the players’ entire mindset and skill errors on match day.

I’d argue that the loss to the Power recently wasn’t due to a lack of skills, but a poor implementation of those skills in the last quarter. I also think our relative inexperience caused an unsettling effect when it comes to the push and shove during and after the melee.

Btw, I’m not a blind supporter of Nicks. I think if no Finals next year, Nicks will be shown the door. Or he will walk. There can be no more excuses now.

This stuff with Rachele sounds like it's been brewing for a while.

We've been trying to get him to reel things in. He hasn't and eventually things have come to a head.

The problem is in our initial appraisal. It's good that we have a player who has a bit of personality, is outgoing, has confidence and loves a goal.

Football clubs have all types. There are your down-to-earth professionals, your hotheads, gamblers, family men whatever. Different personalities, behaving differently but working towards a common team goal in their own individual styles.

We've somehow seen Rachele's individual traits as a negative that needs to be ironed out. No wonder he looked down on confidence at various times this year. Our stance effectively has boxed ourselves in here. We feel we have to act because we've made such an issue out of it.

We've been trying to get him to reel things in. He hasn't and eventually things have come to a head.

The problem is in our initial appraisal. It's good that we have a player who has a bit of personality, is outgoing, has confidence and loves a goal.

Football clubs have all types. There are your down-to-earth professionals, your hotheads, gamblers, family men whatever. Different personalities, behaving differently but working towards a common team goal in their own individual styles.

We've somehow seen Rachele's individual traits as a negative that needs to be ironed out. No wonder he looked down on confidence at various times this year. Our stance effectively has boxed ourselves in here. We feel we have to act because we've made such an issue out of it.

I just wonder whether they feel he doesnt do enough on the football field. They merely are trying to get him to work on his game to become the elite player he has the potential to be. He does seem to look to thrive on the easy ball rather than win the contest.

I just wonder whether they feel he doesnt do enough on the football field. They merely are trying to get him to work on his game to become the elite player he has the potential to be. He does seem to look to thrive on the easy ball rather than win the contest.
He's clearly a guy who plays on confidence, so the fact they seem hellbent on mentally breaking him down to get him to comply is a very strange approach.

He's clearly a guy who plays on confidence, so the fact they seem hellbent on mentally breaking him down to get him to comply is a very strange approach.

This is how clubs like Melbourne and St Kilda had so many bad picks. They took good players then ****ed them up

Well reports are Rachele is angry at the club, this could mean there is an amicable parting of the ways this off season. He is contracted though but watch this space. I think he is going to be traded.

Last edited:
Well reports are Rachele is angry at the club could mean there is an amicable parting of the ways this off season. He is contracted though but watch this space. I think he is going to be traded.
Despite all the losses people claim Nicks deserves to keep his job because "he rebuilt the culture!"

If this is how it ends and Rachele is traded in the off-season it's just proof that Nicks hasn't done jack.

The only way to make some sort of statement is to cancel your membership. A lot of people say they will, but then don't (I understand why - fear of losing seats is the main reason).

But, it's quite literally the only mechanism to make a statement.
Was your season ticket in a good spot on the wing because its hard to find good seats?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks fixed the culture did he? That seemed to be the one thing the Nicks head polishers wheeled out in his defence. No evidence that he did, and now, evidence that he didn't!

You know who are, face the music.

he did initially. but he got greedy, threw selection integrity out the window, held draftees to absurdly high standards while gifting golden tickets to favourites. There would be no way he respected by the playing group now.

Well reports are Rachele is angry at the club could mean there is an amicable parting of the ways this off season. He is contracted though but watch this space. I think he is going to be traded.

Well that isn’t going to look good at all.

Can Murphy pick up the 30 goals a season we lose? Didn’t think so.

It's a battle of the ego's

he did initially. but he got greedy, threw selection integrity out the window, held draftees to absurdly high standards while gifting golden tickets to favourites. There would be no way he respected by the playing group now.

Or you know he didn't at all. He did deliver us our first ever spoon though after the playing group took the piss during the Covid shutdown. Culture!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back