Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks has been granted lots of time for the rebuild. Fair enough too as it was pretty deep as it turned out.
We have, however, failed to better our "bottom club" status after any hypothetical grace period has expired. Bottom 4 after 5 years of rebuild is North Melbourne levels of ineptitude.

A contracted Rachele and a contracted Keane seeking to break their contracts and be traded away is a look inside the locker room. And what do we see? Coach killer stuff. Team killer stuff. Club killer stuff.

The club must act. It's desperate times again.

Coach sacked on Saturday night after the game would finish the season with the best news the club could produce leading into the off season.

This year we have had confusing game plans, confusing selections, confusing messaging resulting in a locker room revolt.

Better still.... play Rachele this week and sack Nicks tomorrow.
You’d think it would be hard for something player led to get done. You’d think the seniors and leadership group would be team nicks, not many players in the middle age range to bridge the age gap and divide

We were good up to 2006 (first 16 seasons, 6 prelim finals).

In the 18 seasons since, 2 (also the only times we've finished top 4).

We are mediocrity trending towards futility.
I wonder if we're seeing a slow decay of SA football on and off field

70s and 80s our competition wasn't way behind the VFL. We did well in State of Origin, our champions who did head across the border were champions there too

Our off field people involved in SANFL clubs were on par with their interstate rivals in terms of the professionalism of the football they were involved with.

The AFCs early staff were largely drawn from this environment

Since then the SANFL has become a distant secondary competition. Those involved aren't at the cutting edge level (comparatively) they would have been previously.

A high level SANFL coach now (eg Godden) is well below what a high level coach would have been previously

We don't have the local prowess to draw on but our decision makers (board members) don't know the national landscape of AFL. Don't have the networks, contacts or relationships our club now needs.

So Nicks says in his presser today it was not tge celebration or comments on 5AA last week that got him omitted.

But a number of other things.

What utter Bullshit.

Especially when Laird has already been critical of Rachele over the comments and celebration.

Any trust built up between club and supporters after the Camp is now gone.

So Nicks says in his presser today it was not tge celebration or comments on 5AA last week that got him omitted.

What utter Bullshit.

Especially when Laird has already been critical of Rachele over the comments and celebration.

So Nicks has said it's not related to the comments or celebrations in the Port game, but the "problem" of not being team first just so happens to have reached a tipping point this week

And then he refuses to explain what specifically caused his omission, citing it's "unfair on the player"

Then laughably claims he has Josh's back

Perfect example of why supporters have no trust in the club. Nicks claims the reason isn't what everyone is thinking and what makes the most logical sense, but then provides absolutely zero evidence otherwise. "Trust me bro, it wasn't the celebrations, it was secret other reasons"

Even more laughable:

A journo tells Nicks that the perception around his dropping will be that it's related to the celebrations/comments

Nicks basically says "yep we understand that would be the perception, that's why I'm here to give clarity"

WHAT CLARITY NICKS? You haven't explained anything, just said "that's not the reason" and provided jack shit other explanation

And he claims he has Rachele's back even though he knew the perception would be he's been dropped due to celebrations and didn't previously and still hasn't provided any other real explanation.

Yeah, real good support there, throwing a player under the bus knowing exactly how people would interpret it and doing nothing to avoid that interpretation beforehand

Even more laughable:

A journo tells Nicks that the perception around his dropping will be that it's related to the celebrations/comments

Nicks basically says "yep we understand that would be the perception, that's why I'm here to give clarity"

WHAT CLARITY NICKS? You haven't explained anything, just said "that's not the reason" and provided jack shit other explanation
Do we need him to bring out the water bottles at the airport

Even more laughable:

And he claims he has Rachele's back even though he knew the perception would be he's been dropped due to celebrations and didn't previously and still hasn't provided any other real explanation.

Yeah, real good support there, throwing a player under the bus knowing exactly how people would interpret it and doing nothing to avoid that interpretation beforehand
You would have thought after all this club has put its supporters through, they would have known once you start having to clarify things , you've already lost the messaging battle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What utter Bullshit.

Our media dept is hopeless
They can't even get the messaging straight.

After wheeling out the whole leadership group, Nicks now comes out and says he has been dropped for other reasons but wont explain

Sounds dodgy

That's the thing, they keep talking about 'team first focus'
Team first focused clubs don't throw individuals under the bus

It's so hypocritical
Laird has become the absolute antithesis of team first this year yet seems to be held completely unaccountable for it because he's a senior player.

Even more laughable:

No follow up question from the "journalist" asking what clarity?

Or they just nod their head in agreement.

I just dont have any enthusiasm for this club anymore ad I dont think I'll get it back until this fraud and the people who extended him are gone. The treatment of, first Curtin, and now this absolutely disgraceful treatment of Rachele is the last straw for me. Kicks the wealer against Essendon a few weeks ago but nor dropped. Bet Nicksy was happy to soak up the positive press from the Essendon win thanks to Josh's goal but throws him under the bus now. He has no idea how to develop a list. His treatment of young players is disgusting. His obsession with senior experienced players regardless of their performance is galling. And to let a Senior player bag a young guy in the media this week and then drop said young player citing "team first" standards is ****ing disgusting.
Just sack him now. Worst coach in the AFL, worst coach in our history. Arrogant and tactically inept.
I finally think I'm done until Nicks, Roo, Kelly, Silvers etc are gone from the club I love.

Well they clearly have no idea how to manage the Rachele situation given it's blown up in their faces... to they really don't read the situation well or capable of making good decisions.

Is the leadership group etc running the club or is Nicks just not the firm, decisive, forward thinking, big picture strong LEADER the club so badly needs.

I wonder if we're seeing a slow decay of SA football on and off field

70s and 80s our competition wasn't way behind the VFL. We did well in State of Origin, our champions who did head across the border were champions there too

Our off field people involved in SANFL clubs were on par with their interstate rivals in terms of the professionalism of the football they were involved with.

The AFCs early staff were largely drawn from this environment

Since then the SANFL has become a distant secondary competition. Those involved aren't at the cutting edge level (comparatively) they would have been previously.

A high level SANFL coach now (eg Godden) is well below what a high level coach would have been previously

We don't have the local prowess to draw on but our decision makers (board members) don't know the national landscape of AFL. Don't have the networks, contacts or relationships our club now needs.
100%

Aussie Rules has become a bubble centred in Victoria. Those who don't make it drift to the state leagues, but rarely do you get a state league administrator or coach breaking into the big league.

Just another sad outcome of how things have transpired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back