Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks got a huge win this off season with 3 good recruits, will also get Welsh and a pick 4 mid. The club was able to add Davis as its director of coaching as well. So all in all, this ranks for an Adelaide offseason A+++

What does this mean for Nicks though? I for one am keen to see what Nicks can finally do. With this recruitment, surely the pro Nicks crowd and the club have run out of excuses and now Nicks is surely living and dying on what he does next season. I am putting it on record, I dont hope he fails, I have always said I am happy to be proved wrong every step of the way in all my assessments.
Is there a pro-Nicks crowd?

This needs to be discussed, here it is in all it’s glory

Starting a speech at a Club Champion dinner by potting people for criticising the club in a season which you finished 15th was a bold strategy by a bald coach.

gNbmwo102Z1_MxxzV1ggpHQr2VI=.gif

I’ll have to try and listen again when I’m less angry.

Don’t question?
Stay the course?
Believe in what we are doing?

Dear God.

Great teams question everything they do.
Changing course when you’re heading for a disaster is a good thing.
If what we are doing produces what we got … belief is the wrong word.

He needs to realise that he is not talking just to his inner circle - he has a public role.

Embarrassing.

Were there any valid criticisms from outside the club, Nicksy?

Or was it all off the mark, delivered by people outside the inner sanctum who just don't get how great everything is?

This is peak AFC on display for all to see.

It's the same mentality that be brought us classics like, "If you don't think my mate Burton is doing a great job, go and find another club to support".

This club's finger is so far off the pulse they wouldn't even know what it feels like.

Last edited:
P.S. One other thing ... to the Nicks supporters who keep reminding us that he's such a good Coach that we attracted Dawson and Rankine (and the untried-for-us UNB and Cumming +
Soligo (a gun, love him), Rachele (ostracized most unfairly over that silly no-teeth bs), Pedlar/Curtin (used badly by Nicks), Fogarty's improved etc.
With all that, we played worse in 2024 and dropped back to 15th. Do any of you wonder why?

Look no further than this ... Nicks :poov1:.
Nothing to do with having worrell 10 weeks , murray 14 weeks , butts 7 weeks , thilly 15 weeks and rankine 8 all out injured etc ?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Serious question, did any of those coaches take over a list in as bad condition as ours?
Oh of course .....Hardwick at RICH, and Paul Roos at MELB .....both Clubs were engrained losers with poor cultures

Many Clubs have rebuilt from bottom up ......HAW, and WCE great examples ....NORTH are the best, because they just keep repeating rebuilds & staying bottom

Great teams question everything they do.
Changing course when you’re heading for a disaster is a good thing.
If what we are doing produces what we got … belief is the wrong word
THIS, well said.
Let's say for a moment that what he said was not just PR spin, but what he actually believes.
The only conclusion from that must be he's an idiot --- doing the same things that are not working, only harder, can only be disastrous. We're in big trouble, with that attitude.
I wanted to hear him say:
"We need to be better. We have to be better!! We need to turn the disappointments of those close losses into determination to not let them happen and that only comes from hard work ..." and more powerful, dynamic stuff.
But, Nicks.

As you said:
Don’t question?
Stay the course?
Believe in what we are doing?
He's worse than I thought.

There has to be a correlation here somewhere.
Coaches speeches at the best and fairests this year.
Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes
Nicks' speech felt like a lot longer

Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes
Nicks thought he was gone after the richmond game. He soon found out the board was just as incompetent as him.

Chris Scott 29 minutes
Chris Fagan 26 minutes
John Longmire 21 minutes
Luke Beverage 20 minutes
Matthew Nicks 4 minutes
He's saving his best material for his being sacked speech.

To you, mate, not to me.
7 years without playing Finals at all.
26 years since our last Flag and 5 years of Nicks, with nearly twice as many losses as wins.
It's been a nightmare for me, with occasional waking moments in the sun when we beat PA or jag a win against a Top 6 side.

... and a rookie Coach who took us from 11th to 18th.
I can forgive Nicks for 2020 and 2021, but the man is still making rookie-Coach selections, Game Plans, use of subs, and seems to have learned nothing at all about the nuances of Game Day strategy.

15th to 14th to 10th is hardly earth-shattering, John.

I disagree, strongly.
Why can we not ask for more? I refuse to lower my expectations because we were 18th in 2020.
Look at Hawthorn and Sam Mitchell; they're on the up and likely to do even better in 2025.

Look at the last 3 years, 11th to 10th to 15th. There's your answer.

Nope. He's a dud.

Again, nope. With the delistings and trade-ins we should have a better playing group, but we still have Nicks.
WHY does Nicks need so much 'help'?
Why did we need to get Davis?
Why does Nicks need better Assistants?
Because he's a failure.
In every main Coaching-measure Nicks has been the Lowest Common Denominator (and I do mean 'Lowest') and is not good at any of them except maybe for the Kumbaya Factor of a happy group, which finished 15th in 2024.
We are currently in a situation where you can either look at it as glass half-full or half empty. You can look at it as a painful 7 years in the wilderness of bleakness or I like to see it as 1 bad season out of the past 4. Neither perspective is really right or wrong, but what matters now is how we go in 2025.

Btw, there is no “happy clapper” group on this board. It’s all just made up fantasy by the typical angry mobs who wants to bash on anything and anyone whenever a season goes foul. I would bet you if I did a poll to ask if anyone would support Nicks beyond 2025 if we don’t make Finals, the results would more than likely show a close to zero percent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back