Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicks on record many times recently saying Matt crouch is an important part of our future. He should stay silent or deflect answering questions if that’s not the case. Feels that he is eager to please at times and it means that he outright lies . I’ve been feeling this for sometime but I now think of him as a politician in the way he answers. It’s not authentic.
Yes, better to stay silent then give political answers that are lies.

Can't always answer all questions publicly, but we deserve not to be bullshitted.

Nicks on record many times recently saying Matt crouch is an important part of our future. He should stay silent or deflect answering questions if that’s not the case. Feels that he is eager to please at times and it means that he outright lies . I’ve been feeling this for sometime but I now think of him as a politician in the way he answers. It’s not authentic.
He can't be truthful

"I think the game has moved past Matt's type. Not dynamic enough physically to compete with the midfields of the competition. He'll struggle to get another look in here I think. So... can all the clubs who want to trade him in please form an orderly queue."

Needs a better arsenal of non-committal answers
He's out of the team at the moment but is working his backside off to get back in... Matt at his best is a first 22 player... etc

He can't be truthful

"I think the game has moved past Matt's type. Not dynamic enough physically to compete with the midfields of the competition. He'll struggle to get another look in here I think. So... can all the clubs who want to trade him in please form an orderly queue."

Needs a better arsenal of non-committal answers
He's out of the team at the moment but is working his backside off to get back in... Matt at his best is a first 22 player... etc

“It’s a pretty stacked midfield, over half of the first choice mids in the comp would play small forward in our 22. If they were to make the 22 in the first place, and that’s a pretty big IF.”

What's worse him recommitting to Crouch in the public domain or him actually believing Crouch is the future.
Depends what he said. It's incorrect at this point in time so he can be disappointed that this has been reported without committing to matt playing for another 10 years.

At the moment? He always has been and always will be unco. We should move him this year before his trade value really tanks.
He was also "unco" when he won our B&F and when he played so well he kept Sauce out of the team, and that was hard to do under Pyke.

He's a really solid player for us when in form, but we all know he's down this year on his contested marking.

What's worse him recommitting to Crouch in the public domain or him actually believing Crouch is the future.

Whether you think Crouch should stay or not, if the club is calling bullshit on the reports, it needs to do more than just a few worthless lines by the coach at a press conference.
Here's the example. No matter what you'll never make everyone happy

So he should come out and say "No, we don't Matt here at the club next year"? That'll really help negotiating a trade for him.

Again, Nicks can't win negotiating the future of a player through the media. All he should be doing (and all he has done) is just saying he values Crouch as a player and a part of the club, and list management decisions should be made independently of whatever is said in public. Whatever needs to be said to Crouch about his future should be said behind closed doors. This is the best thing to do for man management, for whatever trade value Crouch has, and for the team on the field if we actually want Crouch to make a contribution there.

I suspect it is very true that Crouch won't be getting another contract with the Crows and we'll try and trade him end of season but if that is the case there is no reason for Nick to say that to the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, Nicks can't win negotiating the future of a player through the media. All he should be doing (and all he has done) is just saying he values Crouch as a player and a part of the club, and list management decisions should be made independently of whatever is said in public. Whatever needs to be said to Crouch about his future should be said behind closed doors. This is the best thing to do for man management, for whatever trade value Crouch has, and for the team on the field if we actually want Crouch to make a contribution there.

I suspect it is very true that Crouch won't be getting another contract with the Crows and we'll try and trade him end of season but if that is the case there is no reason for Nick to say that to the media.
It comes down to semantics .....Nicks, "do you want Matt Crouch at the Crows" ? ......answer, "absolutely !"

OK ...does that just mean for the duration of his current Contract ?

Does he mean the next Contract ....the next 3 years .....the next 5 years ?

He's not wrong, if he specifies absolutely want Crouch, to complete his Contract ......he's also not wrong, if the club then decide not to offer Crouch another Contract ....because that's not the question Nicks was asked

It comes down to semantics .....Nicks, "do you want Matt Crouch at the Crows" ? ......answer, "absolutely !"

OK ...does that just mean for the duration of his current Contract ?

Does he mean the next Contract ....the next 3 years .....the next 5 years ?

He's not wrong, if he specifies absolutely want Crouch, to complete his Contract ......he's also not wrong, if the club then decide not to offer Crouch another Contract ....because that's not the question Nicks was asked
This BS doesnt go on at other clubs. If the club had half a brain they would have traded him last year.

This BS doesnt go on at other clubs. If the club had half a brain they would have traded him last year.
Oh the bs does. It’s just that our club has to climb it’s way out of the bottom four on the actual ladder and the media ladder. Craig McRea because of team ladder position isn’t floated such bs.

Yeah I know. They should have allowed him to leave. All they needed to do was tell him he wasn't being offered a contract.
And let him go for nothing?

He’s still a decent player, and it may have worked out, it didn’t but there’s a lot of hindsight heroes acting like giving a 26 year old ex all Australian and club champ a pretty modest contract is a dumb move.

Of course, it does .....you just don't analyse other clubs as intensely as you do your own Club

And let him go for nothing?

He’s still a decent player, and it may have worked out, it didn’t but there’s a lot of hindsight heroes acting like giving a 26 year old ex all Australian and club champ a pretty modest contract is a dumb move.
We already had a carbon copy in Sloane. We didn't need two slow, non damaging mids.

homer simpson GIF

Nicks.

But ours has looked like it for the five on the trot.
I’m sure Carlton’s has too

We do dumb shit obviously, and we should point it out, but this attitude of “we’re the shittest, only us would do something this dumb” is just excessively pessimistic.

Btw, when you’re shit all the stuff you do gets highlighted and analysed and it makes it seem worse than it is (never as bad as it seems), contrast that to Melbourne with some of the Goodwin stuff, and then the May incident, but that’s forgotten about fairly quickly because they’re winning (never as good as it seems).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back