Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Example? Other than Chris Scott who bout the league last year.
Clarko, 10 years + at HAW .....Hinkley, 10 years at PORT .....Horse, 10 years at SYD ....Bevo, will be 10 years at the BULLDOGS .....Damien Hardwick, 14 years at RICH

Clarko, 10 years + at HAW .....Hinkley, 10 years at PORT .....Horse, 10 years at SYD ....Bevo, will be 10 years at the BULLDOGS .....Damien Hardwick, 14 years at RICH

Yes and Clarko didnt win one after 2015. Horse none since 2012. Ken .. donuts. Bevo, nought since 2016, Hardwick is done.

Yes and Clarko didnt win one after 2015. Horse none since 2012. Ken .. donuts. Bevo, nought since 2016, Hardwick is done.
I said Clubs were holding coaches longer than the 5-6 years you quoted .....the subject of premierships over that time, is a diff discussion

I'd suggest though, Clubs don't hold a Coach for 10 years, unless they think he can deliver a premiership ....if the club can muster the cattle

Winning a flag (or 3) makes a difference.

(Lol

I said Clubs were holding coaches longer than the 5-6 years you quoted .....the subject of premierships over that time, is a diff discussion

I'd suggest though, Clubs don't hold a Coach for 10 years, unless they think he can deliver a premiership ....if the club can muster the cattle
Fair enuf. My contention is that if no GF or flag after 7 years ... kaput.

Look I’ve said Nicks has been great for our culture and I like our game plan ….now.

But you can’t deny he’s made poor decisions along the way, excusing them as maybe they know more than BF posters isn’t really a justification for those errors. It makes it worse.

Do I need to list them again? I’d prefer not to have to. He’s made a glaring one in round 2 when he dropped Butts and he played EH over Thilthorpe. so they aren’t all old mistakes. But I will highlight one from last year which was frankly inexcusable. McAdam misses against the Hawks on the fast deck of Marvel. Nicks replaces him with Crouch! A slow mid for a forward at Marvel! Crouch stinks so much he puts him on the wing!!!! Now I’m no guru but this was clearly a poor selection before the ball was bounced.

I hope he does continue to develop and remove mistakes and we win a flag!!!!! Or two!

Some of those “errors” you could argue are trying things - some appear to be genuine rookie errors but maybe behind close doors they knew someone wasn’t ready, was working on something etc.
Overall I agree that he has made some errors but a re building side is the best to make some errors with as you aren’t contending

It’s interesting the move of Dawson has clearly improved us even though we already saw strong signs of this improvement and attacking game plan prior to the move.

Anyway ultimately I think we are seeing the start of our posters becoming more aligned as there is a lot more positive stuff to talk about and focus on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of those “errors” you could argue are trying things - some appear to be genuine rookie errors but maybe behind close doors they knew someone wasn’t ready, was working on something etc.
Overall I agree that he has made some errors but a re building side is the best to make some errors with as you aren’t contending

It’s interesting the move of Dawson has clearly improved us even though we already saw strong signs of this improvement and attacking game plan prior to the move.

Anyway ultimately I think we are seeing the start of our posters becoming more aligned as there is a lot more positive stuff to talk about and focus on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
True, we were deep in the rebuild so Nicks was trying to see if they worked while also not "tanking" ;)

I’m sure Clarko has, the thing is some on here don’t even acknowledge them as mistakes, hence the argument continues
It's simply your opinion if you believe mistakes have been made .....it doesn't make it so ....and repeating infinitum doesn't make it true

It's simply your opinion if you believe mistakes have been made .....it doesn't make it so ....and repeating infinitum doesn't make it true
Yeah not playing Dawson in the middle for the first 2 games wasn’t a mistake, nor was going in short against Richmond. Crouch on the wing. No evidence at all.

Yeah not playing Dawson in the middle for the first 2 games wasn’t a mistake, nor was going in short against Richmond. Crouch on the wing. No evidence at all.

Coaching is an imperfect science. Every coach makes mistakes as they are human. 100% playing Dawson behind the ball most of last year and the first two games of this year as a mistake. If it wasn't he'd still be there. My consensus is he has made a lot of mistakes. At least he is learning. Probably too slowly but the signs are there.

Coaching is an imperfect science. Every coach makes mistakes as they are human. 100% playing Dawson behind the ball most of last year and the first two games of this year as a mistake. If it wasn't he'd still be there. My consensus is he has made a lot of mistakes. At least he is learning. Probably too slowly but the signs are there.
Wayne doesn’t think Nicks makes mistakes

I'll give credit where it's due - we're seeing some good signs. What matters is whether we can continue playing with structure and responding to opposition run-ons like we have recently.

One swallow doth not a summer make, but it's looking very likely the club will persist with Nicks. If we keep seeing signs of improvement and just miss the eight, that's a pass mark in my view and Nicks could be the right coach after all. If we regress to how we played at times last year and in Rounds 1 and 2, then this could be a false dawn.

I'll give credit where it's due - we're seeing some good signs. What matters is whether we can continue playing with structure and responding to opposition run-ons like we have recently.

One swallow doth not a summer make, but it's looking very likely the club will persist with Nicks. If we keep seeing signs of improvement and just miss the eight, that's a pass mark in my view and Nicks could be the right coach after all. If we regress to how we played at times last year and in Rounds 1 and 2, then this could be a false dawn.
Thought our game style in rounds 1 & 2 was OK with what we have showed since... problem was we couldn't maintain for 4 quarters & didn't help we kicked poorly for goal.

Think we have had more scoring shots than the opposition it every game.

But agree the key will be maintaining this game style when pressure is applied by the best teams. Good signs though we have been able to change tempo in recent games when needed.

We effectively beat a team that hasn’t won in Adelaide for a decade with a first quarter blitz.
Nope, for 2 reasons (with respect):
--- they came back at us (like a good, previously undefeated side) at least twice and the Crows resisted them well.
Weaker sides would have rolled over.
If we start like that against Hawthorn/NM, we'll win by 15+ goals.
--- if the scores were level @ 1/4 time, anywhere from nil-all to 8.3 each and with everything else being equal., we would've won by three goals.

Past performance in Adelaide is irrelevant. It's just an anomalous stat, an outlier, waiting to be broken like our 5-0 run against PA under Pyke.

Three. Three reasons, lol@me.

Finally - at some point, for all the mistakes he has made, you have to acknowledge Nicks has implemented a good game plan. Initially based on effort and contest - and now improved with half a dozen class players starting to take us to a new attacking level
I know you were addressing GK, but I was one of the non-believers that thought Nicks only had one game plan and no plan B.
Loss-minimisation, along the lines of "We're going to lose but make it by as little as possible". It's clear there's more to him than that.
The amount of patience he has shown gets my respect.

One problem remains, well, apart from another elite mid.
Someone posted a discussion from Fox Footy that said 15 of the last 17 Premiers came from sides with a Top-6 defence.
Our two losses have dented the scores-against, but that worm has turned over the last 3 weeks. Long way to go.

Flags are won by teams who make the Finals, obviously, but then play their best footy in the last 6-8 weeks of the year, not in Rounds 3-5. Think: 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back