Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get Rankine is not the master plan some people think it was.

It was the only plan and we nearly screwed that pooch by making goo goo eyes at JHF
Leave Jason alone. All of you!!!!!. How about stfu Kern, you just made yourself look like a bigger bellend than you already are.

This post match interview with Clarko encapsulates his thinking during the NORTH MELB rebuild process .....why he's playing the "Rising Star" FWD Sheezel at HB & why he's moving him around .....teaching them the game

A realalistic set of expectations .....does anyone think Clarko can't coach ? .....hopefully, we've put the Nicks question to bed, for the impatient ones

From 4 min mark ...

Is that all you took out of it .....you're better than that GC ....well, I thought so 🤔
I'm not sure what you wanted to say. Your post was all about Clarkson and Sheezel and then added Nicks for what reason you never explained

Last year people were questioning why we took Nicks over Longmuire, right now the Freo coach looks well out of his depth.

I would also suggest that more experienced coaches like Hardwick are struggling to change their teams system and game plan, Longmire as well seems to struggle to fix the problems exploded in last years grand final

Has Nicks made mistakes, absolutely but he is also growing rapidly in the role , he has built the team in specific DNA qualities that were absent in previous crows sides, this side loves the contest, now he is adding the other layers

Many in here spend all there time poking holes at what’s missing but fail to acknowledge what he has slowly built and how he continues to improve, and he had to do this in two Covid season with the youngest list that at times could not train together bad an entire squad.

Let’s not forget, Nicks not only had to rebuild the list, team and game plan, but also a club culture that was toxic and suffered from player entitlement, and the impacts of the vamp

Let’s start to pay credit where credit is due, will Nicks make mistakes in the future, absolutely yea but all coaches do, but how is starting to get more right than wrong.

Finally, our rebuild has passed Carlton’s who are now 8-9 years into their rebuild, and now with a coach who is totally clueless on the games trends

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You serious? That was tongue in cheek, lots of posters were asking for it to happen. That you thought it an opportunity to self aggrandise is hilarious.

To be fair a lot of people liked the idea of him back to a wing, (myself included) not midfield.

Fair play to Wayne who was suggesting midfield for Dawson.

This post match interview with Clarko encapsulates his thinking during the NORTH MELB rebuild process .....why he's playing the "Rising Star" FWD Sheezel at HB & why he's moving him around .....teaching them the game

A realalistic set of expectations .....does anyone think Clarko can't coach ? .....hopefully, we've put the Nicks question to bed, for the impatient ones

From 4 min mark ...
Maybe Sheezel "Rising Star" is because Clarkson is a genius and decided to play him across half back to rack up disposal vs leaving someone like Berry in a forward pocket for a year?
I doubt Clarkson drops TT in round 2 last year or doesnt start him in the 1st game this year.
I doubt Clarkson shifts Dawson to deep defence last year.
There's a large list of differences from team selection to playing players injured to Tom Lynch sub debacle. Mentioning a 4 time premiership coach with a guy with a 33% win record is going a bit early

Maybe Sheezel "Rising Star" is because Clarkson is a genius and decided to play him across half back to rack up disposal vs leaving someone like Berry in a forward pocket for a year?
I doubt Clarkson drops TT in round 2 last year or doesnt start him in the 1st game this year.
I doubt Clarkson shifts Dawson to deep defence last year.
There's a large list of differences from team selection to playing players injured to Tom Lynch sub debacle. Mentioning a 4 time premiership coach with a guy with a 33% win record is going a bit early
The point was .....that all coaches educate players by playing them in different roles ....understand you don't get full connection with zones, with young & inexperienced kids

Crows supporters PS were prepared to burn the Club down if Sloane got anywhere near the midfield .....yet, Clarko is playing Cunnington & Greenwood thru the midfield, who are both well past it, and slow as .....and is making Wardlaw bide his time in the VFL

When Nicks does this, he clearly can't coach, according to many .....but then Clarko takes a very similar approach

Why wouldn't you think Clarko wouldn't put Dawson behind the ball in DEF ? .......Dawson moved himself back into DEF yesterday .....it's just as important a role in footy these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point was .....that all coaches educate players by playing them in different roles ....understand you don't get full connection with zones, with young & inexperienced kids

Crows supporters PS were prepared to burn the Club down if Sloane got anywhere near the midfield .....yet, Clarko is playing Cunnington & Greenwood thru the midfield, who are both well past it, and slow as .....and is making Wardlaw bide his time in the VFL

When Nicks does this, he clearly can't coach, according to many .....but then Clarko takes a very similar approach

Why wouldn't you think Clarko wouldn't put Dawson behind the ball in DEF ? .......Dawson moved himself back into DEF yesterday .....it's just as important a role in footy these days
Going behind the ball during a game is very different to being a permanent deep defender as Dawson became last year.
Laird, Sloane, Keays was not working while having Berry stranded in a forward pocket and Shoenberg on a flank.

Clarko has LDU, Simpkin, Powell and to a lesser extent currently Phillips as other relatively young mids so very different to what we had. One mature body isn't an issue. Wardlaw had a interrupted pre-season.

What might have been if we had started Jones across HB

From 4 min mark ...
Which young players that Nicks has moved around are you referring to?

Wayne, surely you understand the difference between a midfielder pushing back to defence to help our rather than defending a player?

You should it’s one of the reasons I stated Dawson should be moved out of defence ;)

Last year people were questioning why we took Nicks over Longmuire, right now the Freo coach looks well out of his depth.

I would also suggest that more experienced coaches like Hardwick are struggling to change their teams system and game plan, Longmire as well seems to struggle to fix the problems exploded in last years grand final

Has Nicks made mistakes, absolutely but he is also growing rapidly in the role , he has built the team in specific DNA qualities that were absent in previous crows sides, this side loves the contest, now he is adding the other layers

Many in here spend all there time poking holes at what’s missing but fail to acknowledge what he has slowly built and how he continues to improve, and he had to do this in two Covid season with the youngest list that at times could not train together bad an entire squad.

Let’s not forget, Nicks not only had to rebuild the list, team and game plan, but also a club culture that was toxic and suffered from player entitlement, and the impacts of the vamp

Let’s start to pay credit where credit is due, will Nicks make mistakes in the future, absolutely yea but all coaches do, but how is starting to get more right than wrong.

Finally, our rebuild has passed Carlton’s who are now 8-9 years into their rebuild, and now with a coach who is totally clueless on the games trends

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’ll stick my hand up for thinking Longmuir was a gun.
Looks well out of his depth at the moment.
Although list management over there may have something to answer for.

I know you were addressing GK, but I was one of the non-believers that thought Nicks only had one game plan and no plan B.
Loss-minimisation, along the lines of "We're going to lose but make it by as little as possible". It's clear there's more to him than that.
The amount of patience he has shown gets my respect.

One problem remains, well, apart from another elite mid.
Someone posted a discussion from Fox Footy that said 15 of the last 17 Premiers came from sides with a Top-6 defence.
Our two losses have dented the scores-against, but that worm has turned over the last 3 weeks. Long way to go.

Flags are won by teams who make the Finals, obviously, but then play their best footy in the last 6-8 weeks of the year, not in Rounds 3-5. Think: 2017.

Not sure we are a flag contender yet. Now that we are playing better the lack of depth in our midfield is even more apparent
But without doubt we have a decent game plan , probably 2-3 played away from being a very good side

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Earl in the year we were debating lists and who had the best young talent. I think Sydney and Freo were the two that were most commonly chosen.
Perhaps this is a transition year for them. Losing Mundy, Lobb, Logue and Acres all at once has hurt them

Imagine us not having Sloane, Walker, Butts and Smith. We would probably be sitting on 2 wins right now instead of 4

I'm a big fan of this (non)move by Nicks in the coaches box on the weekend. Using the game situation to test the players leadership maturity.

I wasn't sure at the start of the year as to whether he was the right man for the job, but I'm continuing to see more positive signs than negative ones and am quite happy with how we are tracking.

I'm a big fan of this (non)move by Nicks in the coaches box on the weekend. Using the game situation to test the players leadership maturity.

I wasn't sure at the start of the year as to whether he was the right man for the job, but I'm continuing to see more positive signs than negative ones and am quite happy with how we are tracking.
He is the best manager in AFL

Great vision. Excellent coaching. Had faith in the leaders he has chosen

Great vision. Excellent coaching. Had faith in the leaders he has chosen

It’s a brave call too, because if it doesn’t work out, it potentially works against him when it comes time to decide his coaching future.

I like it though because it shows he’s got a long term view. If we lose on the weekend it would be incredibly hard to make finals with the month we’ve got coming up, but that decision tells me he’s not coaching to make finals this year, he’s coaching to win flags in 2-3 years time, which is exactly what we need.

It's a combination of list management and coaching. They've lost a lot of depth and they sold the farm for Jackson. However, there's still enough quality in the 22 for them not to be as shit as they are and a lot of that comes down to Longmuir and his awful game plan.

It's a combination of list management and coaching. They've lost a lot of depth and they sold the farm for Jackson. However, there's still enough quality in the 22 for them not to be as s**t as they are and a lot of that comes down to Longmuir and his awful game plan.
Yes, said in preseason their loss of depth would likely cost them.

Not sure it was the best list management.

Also, Mundy is a big loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back