Max King for Petracca?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any club trying to get Petracca would need to throw in picks along with a player or two. Or just picks if they’re valuable enough picks.
Interesting.

Petracca is 29 isn't he? And clearly a bit banged up recently.

King has just turned 24.

Both are on North of $800k aren't they?

I'd have thought Melbourne would be keener for this deal than St Kilda would be?

The problem is that Max King is no good, and Petracca is.

Is Max King any good though? I think the Kings boys lack a bit of mongrel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ages of the two players narrows the gap a little bit because there’s still time for King to reach his undoubted potential, Petracca has already reached his and you would be pretty safe in saying he’s not going to get better.

In saying that, a fully fit, motivated Petracca still has, you would think, 2-3 seasons at bare minimum, as one of the best players in the competition. King COULD, in theory, if he could kick straight, and get confident, be as good as nearly any forward in the competition and he has 3-4 years to find that level. But more likely than not, he never will be. So you would need to throw a lot of extra bargaining chips onto the table

I don’t think this would happen for two reasons. The first being because the saints list isn’t likely to be a top 4 threat for at least another 2-3 years, even with Petracca, by that stage Petracca probably has another 2 years left as an absolute top liner. On the other side, if Melbourne were to lose Petracca I actually think they’d be a good 4-5 years away from being a real threat again, someone like Jamarra or Darcy - or someone in that age group makes more sense as they’d be entering their peak once the list has rebuilt, as opposed to a 29-30 year old Max King.

If pushed for an answer I still believe Petraccas up side would mean picks would need to go the Dees way for this to happen.

Not a lot, though. King and a mid first rounder should probably do it but yeah I don’t honestly think either party would be interested.

Petracca wants to go to a club who is challenging, not a club wanting to hit the draft.

With him there, I don’t think the Saints would be that far away. They are already real nuisance value this year - obviously cats fans got a an up close view of it on Saturday and they’ve done it to a few well credentialed teams this year, they made finals last year. There’s enough already there that with Petracca himself, they probably wouldn’t be a side that’s about to ‘hit the draft’ as such, at least not for more than a year. They’re 1-2 key players from giving it at least a half decent look. They aren’t a ‘terrible’ team they are just treading water imo

With him there, I don’t think the Saints would be that far away. They are already real nuisance value this year - obviously cats fans got a an up close view of it on Saturday and they’ve done it to a few well credentialed teams this year, they made finals last year. There’s enough already there that with Petracca himself, they probably wouldn’t be a side that’s about to ‘hit the draft’ as such, at least not for more than a year. They’re 1-2 key players from giving it at least a half decent look. They aren’t a ‘terrible’ team they are just treading water imo
They don’t have enough talent.

It’s why they’re so happy to take the compo for Battle.

It's the right kind of trade for both clubs. IF Melbourne can't keep Petracca (who is contracted anyway), they should be going after established KPF talent. Petracca wants to play in a contending side (and his presence would hopefully be a big part of that).

Max King, Larkey and Mitch Lewis that have been successful as the sole KPF, or perhaps a good KPF from a team with KPP depth, such as Ben King, Harry McKay or even someone like Naughton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Max King for Petracca?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back