• Mayweather

Votes: 118 63.4%
  • Mcgregor

Votes: 30 16.1%
  • Rigged draw for inevitable rematch.

Votes: 38 20.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Outta curiosity how old is that footage? Looks like the mat says 2012? He's still not gonna win, and he isn't going to improve to anywhere near Floyd level, but surely he has improved quite a bit since then.

Footage is from when he sparred training for Nate. So This time last year (they fought in August)

there is some misreporting going around atm that he is training with Van Heerden for the Mayweather fight, that is wrong.

Footage is from when he sparred training for Nate. So This time last year (they fought in August)

there is some misreporting going around atm that he is training with Van Heerden for the Mayweather fight, that is wrong.
Cheers. Before this fight was actually announced I saw it going the distance...Now I don't see it getting past the early rounds. Ahh well, if someone wanted to throw me 100 mil to get beaten up for a bit I'd take it too.

My favourite in the lead up so far is that Mayweather won't be able to stop him because of his heart and iron chin. The guy was badly rocked and legit running away from Nate Diaz who's hardly a heavy hitter. Floyd will hit him a lot and it will hurt. Like you I'm seeing a mid round stoppage with McGregor being dominated, fading and eventually being saved by the referee.
It's weird. Mendes is probably the hardest hitter that McGregor has faced. He got hit cleanly a number of times by Mendes and walked through it. Then Nate hurt him badly. I guess it's the shot you don't see that hurts you. Nate mixes up the power he puts behind his strikes and McGregor wasn't used to fighting someone that long. McGregor got tired too. Nate throws out a quick, powerful 1-2 which surprises and hurts McGregor.

The running to get away is a big issue. Way less space to do that in a ring. Mayweather's footwork is probably a million times better than Nate's. McGregor will get tired and be a sitting duck. How's he get away? He doesn't have the footwork. So he'll either just stand there and allow Mayweather to tee off on him, or he'll try to run and maybe get knocked out cold by running into a punch or ten.

It's also weird how people are acting like Mayweather has never stopped anyone. He's finished guys who are much better boxers than McGregor. Mayweather hasn't needed to stop anyone of late. He's been able to win clear decisions against very good boxers while utilising a very minimal amount of offensive options. Early on he'll probably play it safe like he has done in recent bouts. Then he'll feel safe and decide to be more offensive if he wants to.

Any Floyd fights I should watch? In particular with tactics we think he'll use against Conor?

His first fight against Maidana was a good one and he had some difficulties in that one too. I haven't seen the complete Canelo fight, but the highlights of it were impressive (FWIW, Canelo is currently the top pound for pound fighter according to boxrec.com's database). Zab Judah had his moments against him, as did Jesus Chavez and Emmanuel Augustus. The Augustus fight in particular is interesting, mostly due to Augustus' style of almost drunken boxing. Floyd has described it many times as his hardest fight.

RIP Professional Boxing.

What a joke.

On par with Primo Carnera boxing with a Kangaroo.

RIP Professional Boxing.

What a joke.

On par with Primo Carnera boxing with a Kangaroo.
A lil dramatic. James Toney fought and was promptly dismantled in the UFC and nothing happened.

Professional boxing will be fine. This is nothing more than an exhibition for entertainment.

The only way this hurts boxing, is if Floyd gets starched and no one with a brain thinks that's even remotely likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don't see how Conor can land a big punch.

Whatever the outcome, I don't rate Boxing as a true test of fight skill despite enjoying the spectacle of the sport. MMA is closer to complete fighting and in a street fight I think I know who would win.

A lil dramatic. James Toney fought and was promptly dismantled in the UFC and nothing happened.

Professional boxing will be fine. This is nothing more than an exhibition for entertainment.

The only way this hurts boxing, is if Floyd gets starched and no one with a brain thinks that's even remotely likely.
Boxing was hurt in the early 80's when it was ok to ignore mandatory title fights because your guy didn't get a shot.

What do you do? Start your own governing body.

Boxing is a joke and has been for over 30 years.

Boxing was hurt in the early 80's when it was ok to ignore mandatory title fights because your guy didn't get a shot.

What do you do? Start your own governing body.

Boxing is a joke and has been for over 30 years.
I'll go back even further.

Boxing has always been ****ed.

Dempsey v Willard is suspect. Almost 100 years ago.

This sport is too easy to fix and a lot of people have taken advantage of that.

The 30's, 40's, 50's etc where mob controlled and decided who won and lost.

70's, enter Don King and Bob Arum. WBC? WBA? **** you. We decide who fights. Not you.

This upcoming fight is a money spinning joke.

i really hope Connor gets knocked out inside the 1st round and people start doing the maths on how much money he earnt per second. Would be hilarious for him to then turn around and say "nah Dana you cant afford me anymore im retiring from MMA".

Having said that i wouldnt be surprised if both fighters agree on going at least 4 rounds for the sake of the viewing public and betting rings etc. Cant believe that Mayweather is paying $1.20 Boxing skills aside, Connor will have huge gloves on his hands and not have the power to knock out Floyd. And lets not forget how terrible Connors cardio is.

This is going to be embarrassing for all concerned.

Lol. Here we go with boxing is dead/dying as usual. That makes no sense. If anything was dead based on this fight booking it'd be MMA. The biggest PPV draw in MMA history is taking a break from MMA to box. Mayweather's not being drawn to MMA.

Boxing's also having a much better year than MMA. 90,000 were in attendance for Joshua/Klitschko and it did more than 1.5 million buys in the UK. Canelo/Chavez did more than a million PPV buys in the US. Nothing in MMA has come close to these finanical successes in 2017.

Any Floyd fights I should watch? In particular with tactics we think he'll use against Conor?
Fights with southpaws I guess. McGregor's probably at such a technical disadvantage that his stance doesn't change as much as it would usually. Pacquiao's the most recent southpaw he's fought. Before that there's Guerrero and Ortiz. Most recent southpaw after that is Judah back in 2006.

With it being a southpaw/orthodox bout, the openings are there more for the rear hands. McGregor being a southpaw means that technically his left straight is a really viable weapon. Mayweather has a great right straight. I think Mayweather jabbed Pacquiao more than he usually does against southpaws, but he still used that straight right hand a lot. Against Guerrero, Mayweather heavily used his right straight and picked him apart with it. I'd expect Mayweather to land with that right hand consistently when they fight.

More excited about Kyle Sandilands vs David Campbell.

Hopefully they put on a good undercard though. I'm not expecting it but it would be a good way to draw a few people back to boxing.

Lol. Here we go with boxing is dead/dying as usual. That makes no sense. If anything was dead based on this fight booking it'd be MMA. The biggest PPV draw in MMA history is taking a break from MMA to box. Mayweather's not being drawn to MMA.

Boxing's also having a much better year than MMA. 90,000 were in attendance for Joshua/Klitschko and it did more than 1.5 million buys in the UK. Canelo/Chavez did more than a million PPV buys in the US. Nothing in MMA has come close to these finanical successes in 2017.
That's because McGregor hasnt fought. A McGregor card will do 1+ million easily.

If this was a normal year (sans child) McGregor would have fought on 3 cards at least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing Mayweather vs McGregor - August 26 MGM Grand

Back