McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed.

We'd been planning to sack Eade for some time. I'm guessing the club had their eye on potential replacements since the Eagles game, and thought of a process to learn the most they could about them back then.

Which is amazing, considering the club has been condemned as inefficient, incompetent, negligent and playing favourites! :confused:

A month ago I posted on another forum that I wanted him to coach the Dees, so obviously I think it's an excellent appointment.:thumbsu:

It is a bit bizarre that our new coach and your new coach both coached Ocean Grove and both coached them to four flags. :eek:

Which is amazing, considering the club has been condemned as inefficient, incompetent, negligent and playing favourites! :confused:

Well there are facts, and there are rumors.

We now have facts.

Also, just thought I'd add this informative post to the thread..

Not much is know about Brendan McCartney but below are some selected quotes on him as a coach, from people that have worked with him.

May 1st 2011 –
…"I can't imagine there's a better coach in Australia in the way he develops players and teaches them to play football," Hird said of Brendan McCartney. "I'm surprised someone like that hasn't had a chance at senior level, because in my time in footy I don't think I've met a better coach."

"First and foremost, he genuinely cares about his players," says Tom Harley, who long before becoming a dual premiership captain was an unheralded member of a young Geelong back line under McCartney's tutelage. Harley recalls he, Matthew Scarlett, Brenton Sanderson and other defenders often dining with Brendan, Kirsty and their children at the McCartney home.

"He could tell you in a football sense exactly where you were at in one sentence, and ask how you were going personally in the next," McTaggart says. "He always finished with a positive."

The qualities Cunningham recalls keep coming up with all who have encountered him. "He put a lot of one-on-one time into players. He was insistent on winning the contested situation in-close, the man-on-man. If you went against the gameplan he was hard as nails."

Harley says his black-and-white approach equates to fairness. "The most important part of any sort of teaching is the follow-up, and he would put hours and hours into you." He sees the McCartney philosophy as essentially old school: win your own contest, and never, ever give up. "If you're not willing to relish the contest, you won't survive too long under any regime that Macca's involved in."

….His record, Harley says, speaks for itself. "He worked with a very young defensive group at Geelong, and by the mid-part of that decade and obviously through the premiership years we had the runs on the board as the No. 1-ranked defence in the competition.

….."He took over the midfield in our premiership years and blooded two Brownlow Medallists [Jimmy Bartel and Gary Ablett] and a really strong midfield that's the envy of a lot of the competition."

"We knew straight away that he had strong ideas about football and where it was going," says Hamilton, who thinks the mix of teacher, mentor and father figure married to his match-day work in the box have already been hugely influential. "He provides very clear solutions to any problems or opportunities that present."

Very happy to hear this news. As good a coach as Leon may be it always felt like his appointment was the easy option. Great work Dogs, a bold move, hopefully a brilliant move.

Excited for 2012.

I would have preferred that you guys took on Sanderson to be honest.

Sanderson has been a great understudy under 3 different type of coaches so I'm sure he's got all the credentials to make a quality coach.

More importantly it would prevented him from joining up with his colonwood buddy and handing the pies filth all our tactical secrets on a platter next year.

Oh well I'm still holding out hope that St Kilda will snatch him up.

From that article: some players have 12 months to impress the new coach, Im thinking.

"
Ocean Grove president Geoff Cunningham was reserves coach to McCartney when he joined the "Grubbers" in 1993, and remembers him immediately "sorting the sheep from the goats".
The qualities Cunningham recalls keep coming up with all who have encountered him. "He put a lot of one-on-one time into players. He was insistent on winning the contested situation in-close, the man-on-man. If you went against the gameplan he was hard as nails."
Harley says his black-and-white approach equates to fairness. "The most important part of any sort of teaching is the follow-up, and he would put hours and hours into you." He sees the McCartney philosophy as essentially old school: win your own contest, and never, ever give up. "If you're not willing to relish the contest, you won't survive too long under any regime that Macca's involved in."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-the-selfmade-coach-20110430-1e25z.html#ixzz1YMCwljDN

I think this is a great appointment, was concerned (regardless of how good he might be) that we were goign to appoint Cameron.

:thumbsu: Well Done Doggies and bring on the pre season!

Not sure about this one... Given our membership numbers are always a challenge, I would've hoped that Leon was appointed... Higher profile, played at the highest level, certainly a Doggies man, may have pleased those members who sit on the fence... (I am not one of those... by the way).

Not sure if the masses will be too receptive with this decision. Be prepared for a membership figure sub 30K, for 2012...:confused:

So there were two leading Geelong candidates and one leading Bulldogs candidate, so we put people on the find-a-coach panel that had personal experience of them. Makes perfect sense - get the inside story. How much can you learn from a power point presentation, after all? Only what the guy giving you the presentation wants you to hear.

Good point you raise, people can look good on paper.

I do like this quote. :)

He sees the McCartney philosophy as essentially old school: win your own contest, and never, ever give up. "If you're not willing to relish the contest, you won't survive too long under any regime that Macca's involved in."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say don't know much about him, but given the wraps from Hird, Bomber etc, he obviously is very good. The fact Harley would have worked with him for so long speaks much more than any presentation.

In my heart would have liked to have seen Leon come back, but i actually think this is a better move. Has success written all over him.

I'm a happy camper. Looks to be a bold and imaginitive move by the club. Instills some hope and optimism into the pre-season.

From that article: some players have 12 months to impress the new coach, Im thinking.

I'm guessing that's a major reason why Hird, this year, didn't run roughshod over the list and gave nearly everyone, apart from a few first years and rookies, a go. McCartney'll likely do the same thing, and it's a good MO. You never know what a new coach will bring out of a player previously perceived as a dud.

:thumbsu:

From all reports he knows his stuff, excited about an outsider bringing in some new ideas/gameplan.

I'd imagine one of his first jobs to tackle will be what to do with Brian Lake...

Well done Doggies, on 2 counts.

:thumbsu: Professional, discreet process to appoint your coach. No leaks and gossip.

Great appointment. I'd searched on line for info about McCartney and everyone has only the best things to say about him. Esp about developing young talent. Great times ahead for the Dogs!

Meantime, back at West Lakes, the Crows will make an appointment from what's left some time after the next ice age.....:rolleyes:

Now lets spend some $ and get some decent people around him.

Sack Fantasia his a goose of the highest order
Sack Monty

Have faith in Dalrymple drafting ability and really set the club up

Totally agree. So who can we get as his side kick. Hopefully Williams stays but think we need to add some experience who has actually been coach

"The Grubbers' history of brilliance in preliminary finals and grand finals is relatively recent. Until 1993, when the club reached its first grand final, it was renowned for rolling over in September. But since that day, when they lost to Barwon Heads, the Grubbers have never missed the final match of the Bellarine league season, winning seven premierships at 10 attempts, with three of those flags considered to have been pinched.

In 1997, the Grubbers snuffed out Anglesea in driving rain with superior application and tactical nous. The victory sealed the Grubbers' fourth consecutive flag under coach Brendan McCartney, who left to join the match committee at Richmond before moving on to Geelong. Ocean Grove insiders regard McCartney as the main figure behind the club's rise from mediocrity."

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/13/1063341809812.html

Article from 8 years ago, but still :)

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back