McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely agree..it reminds me of a skit i saw Dylan Moran do about Soccer Fans in england, yelling advise to the best athletes in the world whilst they stuff their face with beer and chips...

Everyone has an opinion, however, everyone's credentials on these issues is the big question.... And for that reason, no current day player gives a toss what anyone from the "crowd" has to say..positive or negative..They listen to the match committee, and for good reason.

You don't expect this forum to take any notice of that, do you? Everyone knows better than the match committee. Can't wait for McCartney to pick Stack and Hill two weeks running. ;)

Made an account just to say I'm very happy with the appointment of McCartney.
Welcome to BF, fb.
It's got a lot of us re-enthused after a disappointing year.

I wonder whether this appointment might excite fans and offset the potential drop in membership levels in 2012?

Very little between the bottom of the top four and us. Dogs back in 2012! Spine: Lake, Williams, Cooney, Jones, Panos....All much improved under the new coach. Can't wait. I'm excited. May as well book my grand final ticket now.

Not targeting you with this but.....some posters on this board question the credentials of someone to be a coach without AFL playing experience. Why then do the same posters who themselves have no AFL experience of any type, believe they have any credibility in criticising a coaching appointment?

Well I wasn't really meaning to be crtitical, I'm actually rapt with the appointment and think it might end up being the shrewdest coaching appointment of the entire offseason, including the Ross Lyon appointment. But I can't think of another successful AFL coach who hasn't also played at the same level (has there been?). Just a minor concern really, and history is always there to be made. I am behind the coach and the appointment 100%.

Having said that, I don't buy the argument "if you haven't done it yourself, you have no right to criticise." If you take that logic to the extreme, then fans have no right to have an opinion about anything at all. I don't need to have played AFL to recognise that Malthouse is a better coach then, say, Peter Rohde was.

Now I'll shutup and let this thread continue with positive messages, as it should.

Does anyone think that it might lower the chances of Panos getting elevated with a new coach coming in? Would probably want to see a bit of him before he thinks of elevating a rookie.

But I suppose they would probably review all the rookies years, and watch video of it all, so it may not even matter. I hope not anyway.

Great get guys, He is one of the best going around.
All the players in your team will either become really hard at it or will be goneski, trust me players who have really never wanted to get their hand dirty will right before your eyes, he will get them much much bigger and stronger also.
Essendon had some real soft players who I thought would never change but to macca's credit he has them going in harder than I ever thought they would or could.

Well I wasn't really meaning to be crtitical, I'm actually rapt with the appointment and think it might end up being the shrewdest coaching appointment of the entire offseason, including the Ross Lyon appointment. But I can't think of another successful AFL coach who hasn't also played at the same level (has there been?). Just a minor concern really, and history is always there to be made. I am behind the coach and the appointment 100%.

Having said that, I don't buy the argument "if you haven't done it yourself, you have no right to criticise." If you take that logic to the extreme, then fans have no right to have an opinion about anything at all. I don't need to have played AFL to recognise that Malthouse is a better coach then, say, Peter Rohde was.

Now I'll shutup and let this thread continue with positive messages, as it should.

Tom Hafey....although that's VFL not AFL.

BTW...wasn't having a crack at you. Your post was simply the vehicle for me making a more general point about other posters.

Welcome aboard, hope you stay with us. :)

Oh and sorry that BigFooty has been a bit flakey today

Tell me about it.. Came on to write up this long winded post about how the new coach should improve the clubs fortunes, instill a belief of self worth in the players and bring a new philosophy to teh club, yadda yadda..

I then went on to rehash the dissapointing year and post my opinions of players ratings, their worth, who was trade value blah blah..

Then BF went haywire when I hit the post button.

TL;DR...

Happy that the club has taken a gamble on someone who comes with a very good repertoire.

Sounds (Macca) great on paper. Why didn't Geelong give him the job over Scott then?
McCartney had been appointed head of the Geelong Youth Development Academy, but was offered a role with match-day duties at Essendon, so he went there and I don't believe he went for the Geelong job. We wanted someone from outside anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely excited about McCartney. Neeld was my first choice, but honestly, any fresh face to the club would have been alright.

Also, this...

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=904386&showcomments=true

Leon Cameron will be appointed coach of the Western Bulldogs - that's a no-brainer guarantee. We will go through all of the froth and bubble but get ready for the announcement - it's more inevitable than Ross coaching the Saints next year and I would expect that anyone attending an interview there would be completely wasting their time. I am of the strong belief this "marriage" was consummated over twelve months ago. The "in" crew at the Bulldogs are best mates Simon Garlick and Luke Darcy with lapdog James Fantasia licking at their heels performing tricks on demand.

I'm surprised Thomas' face isn't permanently caked in pie. I'm guessing Aker helps to lick it off.

No problem!
I had to trawl through a couple of the big threads, trying to find the link. It's a great read though, seeing how much of a joke Thomas is. I actually prefer Carro and Hutchy over him on FC. They need to bring back Carey.

I can't help but be excited about this appointment. McCartney has the runs on the board all the way through his Coaching career thus far whether it be at the minor levels or as an assistant.

The success at minor levels should be factored highly I believe because with the basic facilities and resources that are available at suburban level, etc, more emphasis is on the Coach to be innovative and a "Man Manager".

We cannot offer the limitless bounty of Assistants, medical staff and the like that some of the other Clubs can (although ours is 1000% better than what it was a few years ago). This is where we will benefit from a Coach that can get the most out of his players, that knows how to coach a gameplan and knows how to teach his players to stick to it.

Footy basics are more important than all the fancy sundries and some of the other Coaches from other Clubs (eg, Malthouse, Harvey, etc) that have had their names thrown up would have had a massive culture shock to be thrust into the limited funding that our Football Department has. From what I've read, this may be a hurdle for a McCartney but a relatively small one compared to how other potential candidates may have struggled with our budget.

The concern some may have about McCartney never playing at AFL level, I think it is negligible to irrelevant. If the guy can Coach, then that is all that matters.

I don't expect miracles, far from it, but turnarounds in fortune can be quick in this business. Our list is at a development stage and we have a great addition to our Club that can develop some young genuine talent and class.

I applaud the decision, it may be bold, but more than anything, it is smart.

can anyone tell me something about him? What style, personality, etc can we expect?
I believe him to be a developer of younger players. He has a teaching background that uses no- nonsense techniques. He is hard but fair and hopefully in the next few developing years for us he teaches our younger players the correct way to play successful finals football.

While i'm very happy with the appointment, i can't help but feel a bit sorry for Cameron.

... oh and hopefully with McCartney's position on the contested ball. Hill and Stack may not get a game anyway, hopefully

Hmm, I wonder what will happen with the assistant coaches?

Who is under contract? You would think McCartney would want to build his own team. Though it would depend on who we have contracted and how much money the club wants to spend.

Stuff Cameron, finally a bit of sanity at the club this year with this appointment, pretty happy with this and looking forward to some change!

Who is under contract? You would think McCartney would want to build his own team. Though it would depend on who we have contracted and how much money the club wants to spend.

Oldschool said only one assistant is coming out of contract which presents a bit of difficulty.

Of the current lot I'd say only German is the one to keep and perhaps Williams.

Not sure about Montgomery or Dean, in an ideal setting they should be on the chopping block for selected members McCartney wants.

Oldschool said only one assistant is coming out of contract which presents a bit of difficulty.

Of the current lot I'd say only German is the one to keep and perhaps Williams.

Not sure about Montgomery or Dean, in an ideal setting they should be on the chopping block for selected members McCartney wants.

Yeah I like German as well. Doubt the club has the money to pay out contracts .

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back