Review Media "experts" with short memories

Remove this Banner Ad

hoody

Senior List
May 13, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
While enjoying a celebratory coldie after the game I tuned in to SEN to listen to the wrap up (I love to bask in the afterglow).
Fittingly, Joel Selwood was the topic - wow, what a game from the youngest old man in the game (or is that oldest young man?)
I nearly choked on the froth when I heard Matthew Lloyd whining on about how our boy "stages" for frees.
Fair dinkum. The same Matthew Lloyd who sits comfortably between Greg Louganis and Matthew Mitchum in the Diving Hall of Fame. I couldn't not think of anyone with less right to be pointing the finger.
That was until Dermot Brereton went into an unbelievable monologue about being "fair" and not cheating like Joel. Brereton even pointed out that while in his playing days he freely belted anyone he felt like, as far as the spirit of the game went, he was very fair and respectful of the rules.
Like Joel, Brereton was highly skilled and tough as nails.
As far as the Spirit of the Game goes, Dermie doesn't deserve to be spoken of in the same sentence.

Re: Media "experts" with short memories.

Dermie is a Hawthorn man. Lloyd is an Essendon man. For years they have seen us beating their teams.

Give 'em a break! lol

I look forward to Mike Sheehan's article on how Collingwood are now pretenders, and Fremantle/Essendon/Carlton or whoever are the real deal and there's daylight and then the rest. Oh, and Geelong have big bodies, or something.

The velvet sledge hammer & Dermie.....LOL Listening to them is as useful as taking parenting advise of Josef Fritzel!

We must monitor this. Last year a campaign was raged against him which I felt see him get far less than fair treatment from the umps.

We should quickly build a series of video examples , get them signed of by the umpiring dept , get some media types onside and stifle any comment that pressures umps to ignore his head high hits

$50 on eddie whinging monday morning on MMM.
Is it just me or does pendelbury flop all over the place and dive into players legs?

... Joel Selwood was the topic - wow, what a game from the youngest old man in the game (or is that oldest young man?)
I nearly choked on the froth when I heard Matthew Lloyd whining on about how our boy "stages" for frees......
An odd time for this to be raised.
There probably isn't a non-Cats fan out there who doesn't think Selwood stages for a few frees a game. But I don't recall seeing him do it at all last night where he was magnificent. And this was in a game where there were a number of obvious attempts by players on both sides to play for frees that weren't there.

There probably isn't a non-Cats fan out there who doesn't think Selwood stages for a few frees a game. But I don't recall seeing him do it at all last night where he was magnificent. And this was in a game where there were a number of obvious attempts by players on both sides to play for frees that weren't there.

It will seem biased agreeing with you but you're exactly right about last night. Selwood was just hard at it running through the packs. I think all but the one eyed will say in the past he's had some 'fortunate' frees. However the media attention he get's has turned into an obsession. Even today it features in an article in The Age:

It was Joel Selwood's 100th game and he marked it in the fashion befitting a player of his calibre. He sharked Brad Ottens' dominant ruck work and harried the ball about. Of course it also came with his headachingly regular quota of frees for high tackles.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-leaves-magpies-in-a-flap-20110513-1emr5.html

It's got to the point that there is so much focus on the guy that any free kick awarded to him is seen as him somehow 'playing' for it.

As for Lloyd's comments.... hypocritical would be where I would start with a few choice words after that.

Since Selwood started his career he's received approaching 250 free kicks. I would like to see someone post the examples of where he legitimately ducks his head. Going on what other supporters and administrators say I'm assuming that 95% are received for ducking.

This is a dead set propaganda campaign started by Maguire and Malthouse in '09 and perpuated by them and in particular theirs and bitter Hawthorn supporters.

I'd challenge them to post videos of Selwood's 6 frees for last night and show the ones where he ducked. I remember the one he got pinged for, couldn't quite shrug his way out of it.

None of them can actually say that Geelong is playing well and probably better than the so called favourite for the flag. Last night Ch7 went on and on about how good a Cwood player,Swan??, was when he took a mark over the 10 gamer Menzel one on one and no one around them. Yet when Enright in the next passage of play took a great judged mark with a dozen players around him, silence.
Today Age has the list of Cwood players out but nothing about our outs.
But then, with the exception of Gary Lyons, they all had us tipped to go nowhere, so eating humble pie aint easy.

No suprise the Lloyd and Dermie can only get a gig on the lowest rating footy coverage.Does Darcy also work on SEN ?
Surely the 3 Geelong haters work together as the Three Stooges.

Lloyd shouldn't be bagging anyone for so called "staging" for frees.He was the biggest stager in the AFL when he played,then he cried when the umps wouldn't pay him frees.

As for Dermie,he's always hated Geelong since The Lyric went belly-up.Him and his drug pushing business partners had to go elsewhere to push their filth.

Brereton will take any chance to talk down Geelong. He does it everytime. Still shitty about Yeatsy cleaning him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd got a lot of free kicks in his career - he also copped his fair whack from the media and opposition fans about diving too.

On an un-related note - what is with the mutual Scarlett/Lloyd lovefest - they seem to praise each other in every second interview..

While enjoying a celebratory coldie after the game I tuned in to SEN to listen to the wrap up (I love to bask in the afterglow).
Fittingly, Joel Selwood was the topic - wow, what a game from the youngest old man in the game (or is that oldest young man?)
I nearly choked on the froth when I heard Matthew Lloyd whining on about how our boy "stages" for frees.
Fair dinkum. The same Matthew Lloyd who sits comfortably between Greg Louganis and Matthew Mitchum in the Diving Hall of Fame. I couldn't not think of anyone with less right to be pointing the finger.
That was until Dermot Brereton went into an unbelievable monologue about being "fair" and not cheating like Joel. Brereton even pointed out that while in his playing days he freely belted anyone he felt like, as far as the spirit of the game went, he was very fair and respectful of the rules.
Like Joel, Brereton was highly skilled and tough as nails.
As far as the Spirit of the Game goes, Dermie doesn't deserve to be spoken of in the same sentence.

Brereton was on the 3 man coaching selection panel at Hawthorn when Clarkson got the nod. He was the one who voted for Ayres. Nuff said!

I clearly remember Dermie on the radio on that breakout game early in 2007 when we slaughtered Richmond.

Dermie had just witnessed the sudden emergence of one the greatest teams to have played the game.

His take: "Oh yeah, Geelong really know how to play on their home ground with its narrow setup. Next week will be a different story. Richmond made them look good." (paraphrased)

Truly, I remember his comments and was gobsmacked.

I would have thought anyone who saw that tsunami of a game would have said it was a breakout game and watch out for Geelong this season. But not Dermie, nor all the other commentators. No "expert" predicted it from that game. But it stood out like dog's balls.

Most football commentators wouldn't recognize an earthquake.

Cannot remember the last time I heard Derm be genuine and praise us... if he does he always adds something on the end to take away from what he said

Brereton lost me in 2007 when he said after the North Melb loss that Geelong could not win a flag with there current list of players. Mike Sheahan also wrote an article picking apart players around the same time and echoed Brereton's thoughts.

like I said in a previous post it will take a lot to dislodge the collibandwagoneers from their perches A healthy dose of Geelong dislike from a number of notable 'so called' experts adds to the poisonous mix-
Just makes this recent dominant era all the more sweet for us

There probably isn't a non-Cats fan out there who doesn't think Selwood stages for a few frees a game.
I'd just like to say that this is the most poorly written sentence I've ever read.
Brereton will take any chance to talk down Geelong. He does it everytime. Still shitty about Yeatsy cleaning him up.
This is true. I listened to the SEN coverage all day when we played Hawthorn this year, and he didn't give us a chance all day long, even when we were banging away goals for fun in the third quarter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Media "experts" with short memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Back