News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some really good footage here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would love that high-behind-the-goals footage to be available on the broadcast. I would gladly watch the whole game that way, so I could see the setups. I get a similar view at Optus on level 5.

Zach Merrett is a good player bit he's too small to lead the midfield. Essendon never seems to be able to finish a rebuild and get a well rounded team. Their midfielders are too small and inconsistent and they haven't had a decent KPF since Lloyd retired.

Lock them in to underperform next year after overperforming this year.

I wouldn't bank on him being back (daicos)
Have had a fracture in a joint before and they are a pain. Mine was 4-6 weeks in a cast and there will likely need to be a build back to fitness.
Mine was an elbow but not sure how that will differ for a knee.

Yeah excellent footage.

Love the cheeky play with Witho acting like he is going to come off the ground then sprint towards goal to cause an outnumber in the o50

Maric with the smarts to gradually drift across into space without drawing attention to himself

Cripps with the gut running to provide an option forward

Maric again with the sense to chip the ball over to him

Then again Cripps to have the vision to centre the ball rather than go for glory

With Long and Maric we have two very smart footballers inside our F50. Really looking forward to watching them both develop

Some really good footage here

It's good footage but perhaps harsh on Essendon in those two examples.

In the first instance, a mark should have been paid to Guelfi and the Essendon defence was caught napping when the umpire called play on.

In the second, they got mixed up on interchange during what should have been a simple set shot on goal. If Phillips converts, the matchup confusion does not occur and Maric doesn't get to run to the fat side without an opponent.

Excellent work by the West Coast players involved to take advantage of those opportunities however.

Maric with the smarts to gradually drift across into space without drawing attention to himself

Then again Cripps to have the vision to centre the ball rather than go for glory

With Long and Maric we have two very smart footballers inside our F50. Really looking forward to watching them both develop
With Ryan coming back next year our forward set up will be intersting. Who is in and who is out? I originally saw Maric as a third tall. But that view is changing he sould well grow into a key forward with great mobility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"You should always take footy social media with a grain of salt.
But we'll use it anyway":rolleyes:

These Pricktorians really don't want us to get Reid.

HOW THRILLER EXPOSED AFL DRAFT ‘DILEMMA’… AND THE RADICAL SOLUTION TO FIX IT

You should always take footy social media with a grain of salt.

But in the aftermath of West Coast’s heartbreaking loss to Essendon on Saturday, the cheeky sentiment of some quietly satisfied Eagles fans was hard to ignore – a sentiment that’s unhealthy and could be avoided.

The Bombers on Saturday pulled off one of the all-time great AFL escapes, holding on for a last-gasp one-point win over West Coast and keeping their finals hopes alive.

The Eagles, remarkably, rallied from 30 points down in the third quarter to hit the front with two minutes to go, only for red-hot Essendon forward Kyle Langford to get on the end of a centre bounce clearance and kick his fifth goal.

West Coast players tried their guts out and threw everything they had at Essendon. This was personified by star Elliot Yeo’s incredible defensive efforts in the final two minutes that almost won his team its third game of the season. But it wasn’t to be for the Eagles.

The ‘silver lining’, though, was West Coast remained in the box seat to finish on the bottom of the ladder, which would subsequently give them Pick 1 in this year’s national draft.

Some Eagles fans, therefore, had mixed feelings on the final siren. While disappointed to lose, would a win have really been worth it? A brave, honourable loss was the ideal result for some.

As pointed out by ABC AFL broadcaster Daniel Garb, that sense of being ‘happy’ to lose a game is “not ideal for anyone”.

It’s why Garb – and several commentators since Essendon’s win – have reignited the debate around whether the AFL should introduce a lottery system for the first few picks of the draft to avoid any hint of fans cheering for a loss.

“Winning culture trumps draft order more often than not but when three first-rounders are potentially on offer, it’s a dilemma,” Garb wrote on Twitter.

This is a year where you really want Pick 1 when you don’t ‘want’ Pick 1.

Powerful Bendigo Pioneers prospect Harley Reid, who starred in his Essendon VFL debut on Saturday with 24 disposals, seven marks (including an absolute screamer) and six clearances against Southport, is widely regarded as the best player in this year’s draft pool. Some scouts believe he’s one of the best prospects to come through the talent pathway in years.

So having Pick 1 at season’s end would either give the 18th-placed club access to a generational player, or the option to strike a mega deal with a rival team that would be prepared to part with multiple early selections and/or players to get its hands on Pick 1.

There’s an argument, though, the team that finishes last shouldn’t be ‘rewarded’ with the first pick.

The NBA has an annual draft lottery, which features 14 teams that miss the play-offs. Fourteen ping-pong balls, numbered 1 to 14, are placed into a machine, with four drawn out to find a winning combination. The bottom three teams have a higher chance of earning the No. 1 pick before the odds lengthen for the clubs that finish with better records.

Foxfooty.com.au in past years has put together a theoretical AFL draft lottery system involving the bottom-nine teams. The wooden spooners would still have the best chance of winning Pick 1 and just a 27.2 per cent chance of dropping out of the top three.

To ensure the lowest-placed teams still have the best chance of getting the earliest picks, the bottom-four teams would make up 78 per cent of the odds of winning Pick 1. From there, the chances of earning the first selection drop significantly.

The AFL draft order is still based on the reverse finishing order from the previous season. But a draft lottery, as radical as it would be for footy fans, would help discourage fans from ‘cheering’ for an honourable loss.

We have a good record of retaining players we like, but the last time there was this concentrated a push to get a player from us, he left.

We'd better spend the next few years with one eye out for the next Kennedy at a Melbourne team.

Need to piss of the academy picks and bidding system before we start talking about lotteries. I'd support all top 20 or 30 picks being exempt from academies and F/S.

Where was this talk the last 2 years?

All we got was how first rounders should be held to contracts and their contract length should be extended.
It’s also ridiculous how they keep trying to compare it to the NBA where the two are nothing alike.

For starters, the number 1 pick is usually an out and out superstar already and adding him to a 5 man roster dramatically changes the fortune of your team given how much 1 player can impact a sport like that.

Getting the best player in an AFL draft means shit all because one player can’t win you a game of footy.

Also it would not change fans “cheering for losses” (because you still want the best lottery odds), and I’d argue it would make it worse. The NBA lottery is a full televised event that is celebrated like a championship when someone wins pick 1. We don’t want that sort of image on our game surely?

Last edited:
Just force every side to trade their future first every year.

That way they can’t be accused of deliberately tanking - if they lose games and finish bottom it doesn’t benefit them, it benefits whoever got their first rounder.

Just force every side to trade their future first every year.

That way they can’t be accused of deliberately tanking - if they lose games and finish bottom it doesn’t benefit them, it benefits whoever got their first rounder.

Fremantle just became ahead of the curve

Long does the little things well doesn't he?

Love his side step to get into space and kick to Maric.

He is probably the quickest to get to b22 lock we've had for ages. Ginbey is very very close, but a midfield with Shuey, Yeo, Gaff, Kelly, Sheed, Hunt all available could push him out. Ha, on second thoughts, he is a b22 lock.

Access All Areas on the AFL site have mentioned the block on Allen in that last minute.
Conceeded was likely a free kick but then lloyd and damo made a bunch of excuses.
Also Lloyd has a segement assessing what clubs need and started with us....

He thinks we need to:
Sack the coach and CEO
Sack every old player
Trade Everyone with any value
Then make OA captain. (the only one i agree with).

What a knob.
Give it a couple hours for woodcock to write an article rehashing the entire thing.

Last edited:
Access All Areas on the AFL site have mentioned the block on Allen in that last minute.
Conceeded was likely a free kick but then lloyd and damo made a bunch of excuses.
Also Lloyd has a segement assessing what clubs need and started with us....

He thinks we need to:
Sack the coach and CEO
Sack every old player
Trade Everyone with any value
Then make OA captain. (the only one i agree with).

What a knob.
Give it a couple hours for woodcock to write an article rehashing the entire thing.
The one I agree with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back