News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Evil WA club employs sinister last minute tanking tactics as part of ploy to kidnap talented Victorian teenager and force him to live in a remote hellscape and play for a team that is the worst in the history of football yet had to tank to lose away from home to a finals contender something something arrogant something something drug culture."

Am I doing this right?

Needs more fatties.

It's a master-class in how to handle the media when you know you have loyal supporters. Just give them nothing.

Carlton finally seems to have learnt the trick too. There were calls to sack Voss mid-year and Cook ignored them. Now they're looking like earning a home final.
Brian cook earned his Wings at WCE.

It's little wonder he's regarded as the best in the business ;)

The Victorian media attack us all year for being so sh*t, uncompetitive and worse than Fitzroy.

Then we almost beat a finals contender on their home deck and are competitive, and they attack us for tanking.

Conclusion: they hate us with an undying hatred and will always attack us no matter what we do.

( Edit : Kane Cornes was praising his beloved PA for putting up such a competitive losing effort against Geelong who had 17 premiership players (who are obviously on the wane) with 5 or 6 players out, how about trying 20 out and see how they go, Kane you flog.)

Simpson decided to equalise numbers around the ball rather than push a spare back

After the Langford goal Essendon emptied out their forwardline to flood the contest and our F50. They won the clearance but an unguarded Yeo was able to gather the loose ball and launch one final foray

It ended up in a marking contest 20m out from our goal and should have been a blocking free kick to Allen

Fact is, had the umpire(s) done their job the media would be talking about Essendon allowing us an uncontested possession to drive the ball deep into our F50

For all the tanking talk we very nearly created a go ahead score. But it’s not even mentioned

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were tanking we had the perfect opportunity to have it sewn up last week and not have to worry about managing results for the rest of the year (including “intentionally” storming back from 5 goals down to lose from a winning position in the last minute)

Easy to forget this sometimes.
Especially by the media when it suits their narrative.

And for all of the screaming about poor old Port, they haven't done that badly.

AFL injury ladder: Who has been hit the hardest in 2023​

Not all injuries are equal. Exclusive Champion Data numbers reveal which teams have lost the most games to best 22 players, and who has had a dream run.

Port Adelaide premiership player Dean Brogan says injuries are hitting the Power at the worst time of year and in the positions that hurt the most.
The Power’s injury list grew on Tuesday when it was confirmed Trent McKenzie had suffered a partial tear of his right PCL and would be out for four to five weeks.

While there was mystery around his latest foot injury, Charlie Dixon will be assessed as the week progresses as to whether he takes on GWS on Sunday.

They add to Scott Lycett having surgery to clean out some of his cartilage in his knee on Friday.

Despite the late hits, Champion Data numbers reveal that the Power have had one of the best runs with injury in 2023.

SCROLL DOWN FOR THE FULL INJURY LADDER

Fierce rival Adelaide has also had a good run with injuries this year, ranked 17th for games lost for all injuries (84) and 18th for games missed by best 22 players.

West Coast leads both stats, with 263 games lost to injuries and 195 to best 22 players. Richmond have lost 178 games (second) and the fifth-most to members of their best 22.

Essendon have lost the third-most games to best 22 players and is ranked fifth overall for games lost to injury, while Carlton has made a late charge despite losing the fourth-most games to best 22 players. Adam Cerra, Harry McKay, Sam Walsh and Zac Williams are among the stars unavailable for Michael Voss.

Games lost to injury 2023​

1. West Coast263
2. Richmond178
3. St Kilda174
3. GWS Giants174
5. Essendon173
6. Carlton158
7. Sydney152
8. Geelong146
9. Western Bulldogs139
10. North Melbourne136
11. Collingwood113
12. Melbourne107
13. Fremantle100
14. Brisbane Lions95
15. Hawthorn94
16. Port Adelaide92
17. Adelaide84
18. Gold Coast64

The Power is ranked 16th when it comes to games lost to injuries this season.

But Brogan said the injuries were coming at the wrong time of the year.

“I think the injuries are to key-position players, too, which hurts, they aren’t to wingers or half-backmen or anything like that,” he told this masthead.

“They are losing ruckmen Lycett, a key forward Dixon, a key back McKenzie and Aliir Aliir to concussion.

“It is the key-position players, if they go down they are really hard to fill.”

Games to lost to best 22​

1. West Coast195
2. Sydney109
3. Essendon100
4. Carlton98
5. Richmond96
6. GWS Giants94
7. Geelong92
8. St Kilda90
9. Western Bulldogs 78
10. Fremantle77
11. Collingwood63
11. North Melbourne63
13. Gold Coast60
14. Brisbane Lions59
15. Melbourne57
16. Hawthorn54
17. Port Adelaide51
18. Adelaide42

Port Adelaide has lost its past four games to drop out of the top two.

Brogan said the Power needed to focus on getting its list healthy before finals.

“It is a bit concerning I think for them now. I think they will finish somewhere in the top four but I think if you said to Port, ‘You are going to finish fourth, but you are going to come into the finals series with a healthy list,’ I think that is a good place to be,” he said.

“You don’t want to scrape into the four and have four or five out of your best 22 carrying serious injuries.

“So, if they can get healthy over the next month, whatever Lycett needs, whatever Charlie needs, what ever McKenzie needs, I think you give them that extra week or two and just get them to finals.

“Going into finals with a relatively healthy list is paramount.

“Normally the healthiest team has a good finals campaign or wins it.”

Not all injuries are equal. Exclusive Champion Data numbers reveal which teams have lost the most games to best 22 players, and who has had a dream run.

Port Adelaide premiership player Dean Brogan says injuries are hitting the Power at the worst time of year and in the positions that hurt the most.
The Power’s injury list grew on Tuesday when it was confirmed Trent McKenzie had suffered a partial tear of his right PCL and would be out for four to five weeks.

While there was mystery around his latest foot injury, Charlie Dixon will be assessed as the week progresses as to whether he takes on GWS on Sunday.

They add to Scott Lycett having surgery to clean out some of his cartilage in his knee on Friday.

Despite the late hits, Champion Data numbers reveal that the Power have had one of the best runs with injury in 2023.

Fierce rival Adelaide has also had a good run with injuries this year, ranked 17th for games lost for all injuries (84) and 18th for games missed by best 22 players.

West Coast leads both stats, with 263 games lost to injuries and 195 to best 22 players. Richmond have lost 178 games (second) and the fifth-most to members of their best 22.

Essendon have lost the third-most games to best 22 players and is ranked fifth overall for games lost to injury, while Carlton has made a late charge despite losing the fourth-most games to best 22 players. Adam Cerra, Harry McKay, Sam Walsh and Zac Williams are among the stars unavailable for Michael Voss.

1. West Coast263
2. Richmond178
3. St Kilda174
3. GWS Giants174
5. Essendon173
6. Carlton158
7. Sydney152
8. Geelong146
9. Western Bulldogs139
10. North Melbourne136
11. Collingwood113
12. Melbourne107
13. Fremantle100
14. Brisbane Lions95
15. Hawthorn94
16. Port Adelaide92
17. Adelaide84
18. Gold Coast64

“I think the injuries are to key-position players, too, which hurts, they aren’t to wingers or half-backmen or anything like that,” he told this masthead.

“They are losing ruckmen Lycett, a key forward Dixon, a key back McKenzie and Aliir Aliir to concussion.

1. West Coast195
2. Sydney109
3. Essendon100
4. Carlton98
5. Richmond96
6. GWS Giants94
7. Geelong92
8. St Kilda90
9. Western Bulldogs 78
10. Fremantle77
11. Collingwood63
11. North Melbourne63
13. Gold Coast60
14. Brisbane Lions59
15. Melbourne57
16. Hawthorn54
17. Port Adelaide51
18. Adelaide42

Brogan said the Power needed to focus on getting its list healthy before finals.

“It is a bit concerning I think for them now. I think they will finish somewhere in the top four but I think if you said to Port, ‘You are going to finish fourth, but you are going to come into the finals series with a healthy list,’ I think that is a good place to be,” he said.

“You don’t want to scrape into the four and have four or five out of your best 22 carrying serious injuries.

“So, if they can get healthy over the next month, whatever Lycett needs, whatever Charlie needs, what ever McKenzie needs, I think you give them that extra week or two and just get them to finals.

Was going to post this as well

You know who’s also had a good run with injury - Hawthorn. They’ve done well with a young list this season but they’ve also had a healthy list

5C46C13E-1D23-4806-82C7-646BA8E6D0AF.jpeg
48B8D7A4-3C19-4A7D-8C08-EA79CB04870F.jpeg

DC5AE662-0320-468D-9EE6-70E2D7D444FC.jpeg
B1E78675-2289-498C-AA3A-F702E15C502C.jpeg

1. West Coast263
2. Richmond178
3. St Kilda174
3. GWS Giants174
5. Essendon173
6. Carlton158
7. Sydney152
8. Geelong146
9. Western Bulldogs139
10. North Melbourne136
11. Collingwood113
12. Melbourne107
13. Fremantle100
14. Brisbane Lions95
15. Hawthorn94
16. Port Adelaide92
17. Adelaide84
18. Gold Coast64

1. West Coast195
2. Sydney109
3. Essendon100
4. Carlton98
5. Richmond96
6. GWS Giants94
7. Geelong92
8. St Kilda90
9. Western Bulldogs78
10. Fremantle77
11. Collingwood63
11. North Melbourne63
13. Gold Coast60
14. Brisbane Lions59
15. Melbourne57
16. Hawthorn54
17. Port Adelaide51
18. Adelaide42

Becomes even more dramatic when viewed as a chart.

GameslosttoBest22.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back