Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrett upped it to $700k. Give it up you loon, you clearly know nothing.

Only ones still pushing this are Hutchy and his puppet.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/125213/default.aspx

St Kilda has conceded it has some work to do before the end of the month to alleviate its salary cap squeeze after a Trade Week that did little to relieve the pressure.

The Saints' head of football Chris Pelchen said after the 2pm deadline the club would work on "remodelling our cap" instead of enforcing pay cuts before the first list lodgement was due on October 31.

"We'll continue to rebuild that model. We've got until the end of the month to do that and there's no doubt it has been under some pressure," he said.

"We'll work through it in a professional way and we're confident all players will still be with us.

"I don't want to speculate on salary cuts; let's say we're remodelling our cap and we'll do it in a positive way."

New coach Scott Watters said they acknowledged they had a tough few weeks ahead of them as they attempted to rectify the squeeze.

"We're intending to have six (picks), and that's one of the most positive things to come out of Trade Week," Pelchen added.

I thought I did, it was actually three pages back on the trade thread.

Your lucky that Benchy is so nice as to spoon feed you.

You really are on the angry pills today!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the club can work with $300k over the cap easily without delisting any players. (If we must delist someone to lower it to ~$300k, then so be it).

Essentially it would work like this:
  • Riewoldt takes a $600k pay cut on this year, with all of it added to the next year or 2.
  • If you left it at that, St Kilda would have $300k spare this year, but would be over by only $300k next year (instead of $600k) due to half of Riewoldt's salary not being included to due the Veteran's list.
  • A handful of willing players then have $300k in total subtracted from next year and added to this year.
  • This leaves us equal this year, and next year*
*We will actually be a little bit over next year, but will be accounted for with a retirement or two.

I think the club can work with $300k over the cap easily without delisting any players. (If we must delist someone to lower it to ~$300k, then so be it).

Essentially it would work like this:
  • Riewoldt takes a $600k pay cut on this year, with all of it added to the next year or 2.
  • If you left it at that, St Kilda would have $300k spare this year, but would be over by only $300k next year (instead of $600k) due to half of Riewoldt's salary not being included to due the Veteran's list.
  • A handful of willing players then have $300k in total subtracted from next year and added to this year.
  • This leaves us equal this year, and next year*
*We will actually be a little bit over next year, but will be accounted for with a retirement or two.

I would be incredibly surprised :eek: if any of the senior players take any sort of pay cut.

I would be incredibly surprised :eek: if any of the senior players take any sort of pay cut.

You arent getting it.

If you are on a contract that pays you 500K a year for two years and you change it to 200K in one year then 900K the following year, are you taking a pay cut?
But with Riewoldt as a Veterin, the cap has him at 200K, 450K.

You arent getting it.

If you are on a contract that pays you 500K a year for two years and you change it to 200K in one year then 900K the following year, are you taking a pay cut?
But with Riewoldt as a Veterin, the cap has him at 200K, 450K.
So you don't take into consideration the said players financial commitments? The players are like the rest of us they have bills to pay mortgages etc.. its not as simplistic as to go to said player and make them take such a hefty pay cut for one year ... I know I definitely wouldn't.. would you?

It happens.

Players will accommodate genuine requests from time to time, on the basis it makes overall financial sense to them and on the understanding that it is helping keep players at the club (which benefits them, rather than weakening the team).

If I'm on $500k for the next 3 years and the club says "can we pay you $350k next year and $600k for the 2 years after that?" I'd be in.

So you don't take into consideration the said players financial commitments? The players are like the rest of us they have bills to pay mortgages etc.. its not as simplistic as to go to said player and make them take such a hefty pay cut for one year ... I know I definitely wouldn't.. would you?

You saw what I did with the figures. I gave a total pay over 2 years 100K higher. Yes I would take a pay cut for one year for that extra 100K.
And its actually easier for those who arent exactly living on the edge.

The example I gave was pretty extreme to show the effect.

It happens.

Players will accommodate genuine requests from time to time, on the basis it makes overall financial sense to them and on the understanding that it is helping keep players at the club (which benefits them, rather than weakening the team).

If I'm on $500k for the next 3 years and the club says "can we pay you $350k next year and $600k for the 2 years after that?" I'd be in.

Sorry mate it doesn't .. not that sort of pay cut.. especially not when you have no idea what financial commitments they have... Ss was talking about a massive deduction in 1 year.. mate you have. To live in the real world

You saw what I did with the figures. I gave a total pay over 2 years 100K higher. Yes I would take a pay cut for one year for that extra 100K.
And its actually easier for those who arent exactly living on the edge.

The example I gave was pretty extreme to show the effect.

Sorry mate I just find that unbelievably naive to assume that a player would take such a hefty pay cut.. I understand maybe 20 - 50 k... At the end of the day your life style is relative to what you get paid..so don't assume what a player can and can't sacrifice.. its common sense

Sorry mate I just find that unbelievably naive to assume that a player would take such a hefty pay cut.. I understand maybe 20 - 50 k... At the end of the day your life style is relative to what you get paid..so don't assume what a player can and can't sacrifice.. its common sense

Any highly paid AFL player that is spending what they earn is in the same category of dumb as Fevola. Though many would have investments locked away.

In fact I could do it myself in my current circumstances.
My house could easily have its mortgage increased by 200 000.
The extra mortgage payments would cost around 12 000. Well worth the extra 100 000 I would earn the following year.

We arent talking, take home the pay packet each week, pay the bills and buy the groceries then head to the TAB with the leftovers here.

Any highly paid AFL player that is spending what they earn is in the same category of dumb as Fevola. Though many would have investments locked away.

In fact I could do it myself in my current circumstances.
My house could easily have its mortgage increased by 200 000.
The extra mortgage payments would cost around 12 000. Well worth the extra 100 000 I would earn the following year.

We arent talking, take home the pay packet each week, pay the bills and buy the groceries then head to the TAB with the leftovers here.

Now I know what it feel like banging your head against the wall.. let's agree to disagree ...and. yep let's just ask the. Players to take 200 k pay cut for 1 year... Some people just live in fantasy world

20-50k is hardly a pay cut for someone earning above 600k per year. In Roo's case (approx 900k if you beleive the reports + endorements I might add) 50k represents just over half a percent.

For the sake of the club and keeping the list together, I am certain blokes like Roo, BJ, Lenny, Dal, Joey and Chips will all allow there contracts to be remodelled so long as they get what they were promised.

It's times like these however that I wish we employed Geelongs equality model of no one getting paid more that $550k - allows you to be much more accomodating to the mid tier players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back