Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I know what it feel like banging your head against the wall.. let's agree to disagree ...and. yep let's just ask the. Players to take 200 k pay cut for 1 year... Some people just live in fantasy world

If you invest in real estate you are effectively taking a pay cut for multiple years with only the hope of a good payback.

You really wouldnt halve your pay as a one off for one year if you had a ironclad contract that you would get it all back + a massive profit the following year?
I'd do it in a hearbeat, straight after the solicitors signed it off.

So you think its OK for Luke Ball to do it the other way round. He took huge pay in 2010 to get to Collingwood, and this year accepted a pay cut down to a pittance to even it out. How could he have handled such a cut???
A year is just an arbitrary line. Its the overall result thats important.

hahhaha I knew it. You can't get away with anything around here.

Did the division right, forgot to multiply by 100. Hec I am a Financial Planner, calcualtors are my life - rookie mistake. You guys wont tell my clients I can't complete simple maths....right:confused:

Anyway, my point is still valaid, a 5.5% pay cut or even a 10% pay cut is not going to hurt these guys a 50% pay cut maybe but that is fairly drastic. If it is for the good of the team I am sure they will be accomodating.

Squizz, thanks for the heads up BTW...:D:thumbsu:;)

hahhaha I knew it. You can't get away with anything around here.

Did the division right, forgot to multiply by 100. Hec I am a Financial Planner, calcualtors are my life - rookie mistake. You guys wont tell my clients I can't complete simple maths....right:confused:

Anyway, my point is still valaid, a 5.5% pay cut or even a 10% pay cut is not going to hurt these guys a 50% pay cut maybe but that is fairly drastic. If it is for the good of the team I am sure they will be accomodating.

Squizz, thanks for the heads up BTW...:D:thumbsu:;)

Haha , any AFL players on your books?

Haha , any AFL players on your books?

Unfortunately SS none as yet. About as exciting as we get is we have one of the news readers here in Brisbane...or had untill that person found out I couldn't use a calculator:D

We get to meet a few different people which is good. Had a few beers with Justin Langer earlier this year and had a brief chat with Bear Grylls just last week.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Unfortunately SS none as yet. About as exciting as we get is we have one of the news readers here in Brisbane...or had untill that person found out I couldn't use a calculator:D

We get to meet a few different people which is good. Had a few beers with Justin Langer earlier this year and had a brief chat with Bear Grylls just last week.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Luckily you didnt have drinks with Bear. :D

If Nick honestly relies on having his full ~$900k salary coming in every year just to get by, he's in a lot of trouble.

He's a 29 year old with a smart head on his shoulders. He will either have a house, car etc or at least have enough money saved to get one. He simply does not need the full $900k, hell, he would be just fine getting along with 200 or 300 - and that's even if he is living the "celebrity lifestyle".

It's not going to kill him to take a pay cut, plus he'd be getting it all next year anyway so I wouldn't exactly call it a "cut". More like an "adjustment".

Guys, i think a little is getting lost in translation here.

Pelchan is completely doing the right thing. The big guns are locked away (would love BJ to commit to an extension!). The young stars are locked in. All the other key components have signed. Bit-players like Blake, Peake, Polo, Gamble etc are really on their last legs....they can't afford not to accept pay cuts.

Here's what will happen:

Firstly, Jason Blake will sign because he's loyal, he's smart (he knows if he doesn't sign his career is over), and he wants to help the club. Blake's not going anywhere.

That leaves Dawson, Clarke, Dempster, Ray, Polo & Peake out of contract, and possibly Geary, Gamble, Heyne, Smith & Cahill.

Polo will probably take less cash because he's been delisted once already, and knows only the Saints want him. Scratch him off the list.

Dempster will get re-signed: he's apparently said as much.

That leaves Dawson, Ray, Clarke and Peake certainly out of contract. The two most likely to be signed out of that group are Dawson and Ray.

That leaves four-five more delistings (including Peake and Clarke), depending on whether we upgrade Archer (which I would not). Smith would be in trouble because all the others play the same position, and we have just lost Walsh. Then two of Gamble, Heyne and Cahill.

Here's what will happen:

Firstly, Jason Blake will sign because he's loyal, he's smart (he knows if he doesn't sign his career is over), and he wants to help the club. Blake's not going anywhere.

That leaves Dawson, Clarke, Dempster, Ray, Polo & Peake out of contract, and possibly Geary, Gamble, Heyne, Smith & Cahill.

Polo will probably take less cash because he's been delisted once already, and knows only the Saints want him. Scratch him off the list.

That leaves Dawson, Ray, Clarke and Peake certainly out of contract. The two most likely to be signed out of that group are Dawson and Ray.

That leaves four-five more delistings (including Peake and Clarke), depending on whether we upgrade Archer (which I would not). Smith would be in trouble because all the others play the same position, and we have just lost Walsh. Then two of Gamble, Heyne and Cahill.

Agree Punter. Dawson and Ray are the only "must keep"s on that list. I feel for Peakey (and he does add something different to the team), but the ball is in his court....take a pay cut or head to the PSD.

I wonder if Pelchan shopped Clarke, Peak etc around last week?

Here's what will happen:

Hopefully Archer will be happy to stay a Rookie for another year. I wouldnt want to get rid of him, given that its Really only him and Stanley who will be even vaguely tall in the forward line, after Kosi/Riewoldt.

Agree Punter. Dawson and Ray are the only "must keep"s on that list. I feel for Peakey (and he does add something different to the team), but the ball is in his court....take a pay cut or head to the PSD.

I wonder if Pelchan shopped Clarke, Peak etc around last week?

The injustice is that these lesser lights arent necessarily the ones who werent earning their keep last season.

The injustice is that these lesser lights arent necessarily the ones who werent earning their keep last season.

Yep...Peaky had his best 3 months ever, Faz was consistently good all year. Polo was servicable in filling the void...Raph was ok in patches. Gamble is take-it or leave-it imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peake's age goes against him. He's 28, only six players on the list now older than him (Hayes, Milne, Blake, Fisher, Riewoldt, Koschitzke), and he's not in their class (except Blake, who is needed for other reasons). Ray, Dawson & Polo all 25, Gamble 24. (Clarke 26)

I think Raph is in huge trouble.

Keep in mind that this salary cap re-modelling is not only to accomodate our current situation, but allow us to prepare for free agency.

Keep in mind that this salary cap re-modelling is not only to accomodate our current situation, but allow us to prepare for free agency.

Aaah, I completely forgot about that.

In that case, I'd like to see something along the lines of how I would run a football club -
If a player is not playing any better than what a young kid could do in his position, drop him. If he consistently has been underperforming and given multiple chances, delist him.

It would appear players such as the aforementioned in this thread will only stagnate in this team, whilst newest draftees can only get better.

Because of having to make room for Free Agency, I see the logic in using all of our picks this year. 6 players on an average of ~$300k vs 6 new kids on an average of ~$80k. Not only helps refresh the club, but also frees up a lot of money to help secure our players during free agency.

In that case, I'd like to see something along the lines of how I would run a football club -
If a player is not playing any better than what a young kid could do in his position, drop him. If he consistently has been underperforming and given multiple chances, delist him.

Good on you for stating your opinion but how long do you give said kid and what happens if said player who was underperforming works on their weaknesses at VFL level and turns it around? I'd fear for team morale if getting dropped and being age 25 means no more games for you. It's such a fine balance though.

yeah fair point but the PA is still in negotiation is it not?

Free agency isn't the hold up at this point. It's the distribution of the funds primarily from the TV rights agreement.

Good on you for stating your opinion but how long do you give said kid and what happens if said player who was underperforming works on their weaknesses at VFL level and turns it around? I'd fear for team morale if getting dropped and being age 25 means no more games for you. It's such a fine balance though.

fair comment

Free agency isn't the hold up at this point. It's the distribution of the funds primarily from the TV rights agreement.

it affects the TPP though doesn't it? if the PA negotiate 7% above and 7% for rookies or whatever it all ends up maxing the cap out somewhat doesn't it?

These two posts pretty much sum it up in my opinion.

You force the pay cuts on the players you know won't have a future beyond the club.

If wanted, I can see Peake staying on for minimum, coz no one else will pick him up... unless he can't be botered and retires.

We have to remember that of all these fringe players, there was no interest during trade week, so entering the PSD is a massive risk for them.

Guys, i think a little is getting lost in translation here.

Pelchan is completely doing the right thing. The big guns are locked away (would love BJ to commit to an extension!). The young stars are locked in. All the other key components have signed. Bit-players like Blake, Peake, Polo, Gamble etc are really on their last legs....they can't afford not to accept pay cuts.

Here's what will happen:

fair comment

it affects the TPP though doesn't it? if the PA negotiate 7% above and 7% for rookies or whatever it all ends up maxing the cap out somewhat doesn't it?

Not directly. It's not going to effect one side more than another in terms of the TPP.

I would give the young kid the same opportunity as the mature player. If the competing player is pushing for selection and the player in the 22 is not deserving of their spot, make the swap.

I would give the young kid the same opportunity as the mature player. If the competing player is pushing for selection and the player in the 22 is not deserving of their spot, make the swap.

that's a pretty simplistic attitude i reckon. opportunity is variable.

you cant really give a guy who's pushing the same opportunity as someone who's not deserving.
they're different individuals who assess opportunity differently.

all you can do is say 'here is your opportunity, make of it what you want' or
'we aren't going to give you the opportunity'

making the swap is not always a like-for-like situation based only on opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Meeting the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back