Official Club Stuff Membership 2013 #whateverittakes - 56,172 RECORD! (Well done to everyone)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Membership 2012 - Speak to the club here PART II (27/04/2012: 45,126)

dave10 you raise significant points and I am intrigued as to how the club will react at the end of this year. Will they continue with the direction that they have this year? If so, it signals a long term plan that Docklands will remain our main home ground. I have not been affected by the changes this year as I have been a long-term reserve seat member at Etihad and the 'G. But the changes this year have clearly resulted in some disengagement from fans, as witnessed in this thread. Some big decisions to be made by the club for next year and the future in regards to membership.

I have also been unaffected as I am a High Mark member and have had the same great seat since 2000. I am just frustrated how we can go from a club that was the leader in this area 10 years ago to a club that has lost touch with its supporters and lost its way in its membership offering. David Evans said he was proud we had regained our righful place in 2011 when we got to 50,000 members. What this mess proves is you can't take your supporters for granted. You must listen (not just say you listen) and then act.

I have been stunned by the backlash from supporters on here and other boards of how they have been treated by the club. Don't tell me the club is listening and acting on members wishes. Bull dust it is. It may be listening to a small minority based on our membership. Richmond have passed us, Carlton will pass us, Hawthorn (yes Hawthorn) passed us years ago. Collingwood lapped us with plans to be tripple our current figure. Make no mistake they will pass 100,000 at the very least.

What about our hundreds of thousands of interstate supporters?? Where is the value? Where are the interstate functions they can go to to watch Essendon matches in their own states with fellow supporters in each state? Where are the benefits that should flow from our association with great commercial partners in these non match day memberships? We are associated with great luggage and travel accessories, sporting apparel companies, health suppliment firms, insurance companies, car companies.. Why dont we structure interstate supporter packages with benefits and discounts built into these packages? Whatever. They should be the best value in town and as additions to a package that ensure they feel involved and a part of the Essendon team.. I could go on.

I hope every Essendon supporter in the years ahead will want to be a member of Essendon. It can be achieved. But the critical point is: They will only purchase a membership if it represents value. That's our challenge.

An Essendon supporter in Perth should be able to be a member. Currently they are told its sold out join a waiting list and if your still desperate, take out the next best option!!!! We are going about it the wrong way. Essendon supporters all over the country are telling Essendon to give them a genuine reason to be a member and they are in.. So how can we possibly entice these supporters with value?

- Benefits obtained from our commercial partners (eg above) as part of a
wider lifestyle membership: discounts to gym subscriptions, discounts to
coffee shops / restaurants in town...
- Essendon 'match day' experience. Essendon supporter networks run
match function in each major locality with big screen where past players
host the day. Function room decked out, lunch / dinner offered at nominal
cost,
Footy records, pies, merchandise, auction items - "win the ultimate match day experience and spend the
day with Essendon at the MCG in 2013! Or "Win one of 4 tickets to Japan with Essendon to visit (amongst
many other things) Yakhult... One in each state offered at the round 8 Essendon match only, open to all
Essendon interstate members*(helps subsidise the cost of the match day events built into membership
cost). members welcomed to the venue by an Essendon hero on the big screen!
- Entry to 1 X MCG home match during the year a possibility
- Social media privilages (video, player weekly summary for interstate
members only, CEO and Captain weekly monthly video messages and
updates
- Essendon CEO / Chairman / Commercial Ops Manager / Director appearance
at an annual Essendon function during the year

These may be a bit off the cuff but the point is think beyond the caps and lanyard as a definition of value in a non match day package.

I just don't understand how the club saw it as a good idea for a member to have to sit by himself rather than with other non-member friends at the football.

I just don't understand how the club saw it as a good idea for a member to have to sit by himself rather than with other non-member friends at the football.

Think you have answered your own question.

Non-members !

Why should EFC care !

All of the above is exactly why, after 11 years, I ditched my essendon membership for an AFL membership last season

Still on the figures, but for a comparable price, I'm getting so much more value now.

They lost alot of my friends that live in the country. Could they put like a free vline train tickets into their memberships for games. Like 5 games, free vline ticket for the game there's the travel costs gone and suddenly that membership looks like a good option compared to staying in the country and watching the game on tv.

Great stuff, dave.

The point about offering value is paramount.

Not so much for people like me; I'm a diehard loving supporter that will continue to renew my membership each year because I feel it helps the club, even if I'm going to be at ateach game every week regardless.

But we're a minority, the absolute diehards.

I know close to 100 other Essendon supporters, and only a handful are members. They all want us to be the best, but a few have asked me why I pay so much towards a footy club for bugger all in return.

My answer is always "I just do." They can't see the value.

However if you gave them a reason or incentive, I have no doubt they'd be more inclined.

For example having a membership for the casual supporters to attend 2 or 3 games a year, but includes something of value (and not a flimsy cardboard cap that nobody over the age of 10 would wear) would be nice.

I get the distinct impression that David Evans in particular is a little bitter with our supporter base for its perceived lack of support.

In my eyes, he needs to realise that respect is a two way street.

He needs to realise that while us diehards will always financially support the club, the diehards are only a portion of its supporter base.

He and the club need to entice the remaining few hundred thousand supporters. Offer those that are on the fence a reason to sign up, don't just expect them to donate financially (through memberships and The Flight Plan) for the sake of it, because whether David likes it or not, that's not how most people work.

Re: Membership 2012 - Speak to the club here PART II (30/04/2012: 45,183)

lets be honest here, the state of the economy ain't helping either. There are a lot of people out there in financial trouble. What people say are right, you've got to give something to get something back.

I asked this question also, someone mentioned there is always spare seats up the back if you want to sit with mates,

The system from last year cant work if our membership keeps growing past the 50-60k mark so I guess it makes sense to change it now,

It can work, because some (in fact, many) members don’t attend every game. Go to any home game against an interstate side and look at the acres of empty seats.

A reserved seat should be an option for those who want it. Those who don’t, know the capacity of the stadium and their chances of getting a seat.

Considering our home games don’t sell out at Etihad, and never have, the old system was fine.

The only issue was people having to line up for a ticket. This was caused by our home games which draw 30k being classified as “reserved seat” events.

EFC have ****ed this one up. Maybe they don’t care, I dunno, don’t know what total membership revenue is like compared to last year. Can’t be too bad if they’re selling all these reserved seats, which are paid for even if they aren’t used.

People forget that after AFL and MCC memberships, where no club members sit, the G is a 50k seat stadium.

It ain’t a capacity issue.

There definitely needs to be a GA option - maybe the top deck ends behind the goals, and if people want better seats they can upgrade.

Melbourne Storm have this down pat - if you are a member it's easy to upgrade your seat or move so you can sit with mates, can all be done online with no hassle.

My housemate is a first year North member this year, that club does a great job of showing their appreciation for the membership base. Sent him a keyring and magazine in addition to the membership kit, and they even have a newsletter just for new members.

Essendon just come off as arrogant when it comes to the members, they need to look at what supporters want rather than what is easiest for the club to provide.

An Essendon supporter in Perth should be able to be a member. Currently they are told its sold out join a waiting list and if your still desperate, take out the next best option!!!! We are going about it the wrong way.
There's not much the club can do about that - assuming you refer to the WA membership, with the seat.
53,000 WCE members into a 43,500 seat stadium = not many for anyone else.

I agree they can do a lot more, in a lot of areas FWIW. "Beyond the boundary" memberships being one.
I don't see how Pies boasting they might be able to sell another 80k hats + scarves - that's all this "150,000 membership" will be - has anything to do with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like David Evans, but he isn't inviting, engaging, or exciting. He doesn't give you that sense of pride in regards to being an Essendon supporter. The club needs to put in more effort in this regard.

I get the distinct impression that David Evans in particular is a little bitter with our supporter base for its perceived lack of support.

In my eyes, he needs to realise that respect is a two way street.

He needs to realise that while us diehards will always financially support the club, the diehards are only a portion of its supporter base.

He and the club need to entice the remaining few hundred thousand supporters. Offer those that are on the fence a reason to sign up, don't just expect them to donate financially (through memberships and The Flight Plan) for the sake of it, because whether David likes it or not, most aren't as rich as him, nor have as strong two way connection with the club.

Fixed that up a little.

It can work, because some (in fact, many) members don’t attend every game. Go to any home game against an interstate side and look at the acres of empty seats.

A reserved seat should be an option for those who want it. Those who don’t, know the capacity of the stadium and their chances of getting a seat.

Considering our home games don’t sell out at Etihad, and never have, the old system was fine.

The only issue was people having to line up for a ticket. This was caused by our home games which draw 30k being classified as “reserved seat” events.

EFC have ****ed this one up. Maybe they don’t care, I dunno, don’t know what total membership revenue is like compared to last year. Can’t be too bad if they’re selling all these reserved seats, which are paid for even if they aren’t used.

People forget that after AFL and MCC memberships, where no club members sit, the G is a 50k seat stadium.

It ain’t a capacity issue.

The EFC as far as i can see it wants to fill Etihad stadium every week with Essendon members and it will create a real home ground advantage/atmosphere as interstate teams get and even Geelong when they play down there.

Whether its the right or wrong way to go at the end of the day the members will get to decide and maybe this years membership numbers will change things for the future

However as more and more people want to goto every game, then less and less people are going to be able to goto 1 or 2 games, which is where the buy back ticketing will start to work.. where people who want to goto 1 or 2 games a year can get tickets. But i also think you will have to be a non-gameday member just to be able to buy the tickets that other members sell back to the club..

There's not much the club can do about that - assuming you refer to the WA membership, with the seat.
53,000 WCE members into a 43,500 seat stadium = not many for anyone else.

I agree they can do a lot more, in a lot of areas FWIW. "Beyond the boundary" memberships being one.
I don't see how Pies boasting they might be able to sell another 80k hats + scarves - that's all this "150,000 membership" will be - has anything to do with it.

Disagree. It's 80k more people who feel like members, who feel connected to the club and have the satisfaction of being contributors. It's not just about Collingwood trying to have a higher number for their own egos.

Didn't the club release a 'club 50,000' type of membership with the antisipation that we will have 50k members this season. Awkward if we don't reach the 50k!! And from memory it was at a fairly steep price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Membership 2013 #whateverittakes - 56,172 RECORD! (Well done to everyone)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back