Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

And a ridiculous geographical advantage that seems to let them take good players for unders over and over.

I see Geelong are likely to get Bailey Smith. It never ends. Good luck to em I guess but let's not discount it's a factor
I think its moving beyond geography

They're just a good organisation and will continue to attract talent that way.
Smith is ex-Sandy, so not like its home.

Im surprised there isnt more noise on parish

This is where brad needs to get us.

i think Scott’s done a pretty good job with the list considering.

If someone asked you across all the lines “could the players here play the role they are currently playing in a top side” you’d say

Forwards yes 3 (Wright, Langford, Menzie^) maybe (Caldwell, Perkins at HF)

Mids yes 3. (Merrett, Martin, Durham) maybe 3. (Parish, Hobbs, Setterfield)
Rucks maybe 2 (Draper, Bryan)

Def: yes 3: Ridley, Redman, Kelly* maybe 2 (Zerk, McGrath*)

^ his ideal role is 3rd SF so it’s not hard to fill but it’s nice to have that confidence there.
*Mcgrath and Kelly play the same role and you ideally only have one as both are poor users of the ball.

** would also add Tippa/Stringer to the maybe list. They have proven star quality. They just don’t have a best position currently. Stringer is a Mid/HF you lose too much impact with him only as a HF

So in conclusion. Scott’s shuffling/development has seemed to show that Essendon have about 1/3-1/2 a good team (which explains the low to middling finishes)

Step 2 is finding pillar players (wether through draft/development or FA) that are reliable players to go alongside Ridley/Merrett

Glass half full - every maybe becomes a yes + Tip, Stringer, Cox, Davey, Tsatas, 2023 FRP + whoever our cap room gets us. That’s 23/22 championship level players and the team has a real crack next season.

Glass half empty, most of the development players don’t work out. Get 10/22 of a top list and get pummeled by a tough draw
next season and the cycle repeats.

Most likely scenario.

Split the difference. Get to 16 championship level players but regress due to a lack of pillars, schedule difficulties a lot of youth.

Hope patience maintains and good development and smart cap usage pushes Essendon to 22 in 2025 against a soft draw

i think Scott’s done a pretty good job with the list considering.

If someone asked you across all the lines “could the players here play the role they are currently playing in a top side” you’d say

Forwards yes 3 (Wright, Langford, Menzie^) maybe (Caldwell, Perkins at HF)

Rucks maybe 2 (Draper, Bryan)

Def: yes 3: Ridley, Redman, Kelly* maybe 2 (Zerk, McGrath*)

^ his ideal role is 3rd SF so it’s not hard to fill but it’s nice to have that confidence there.
*Mcgrath and Kelly play the same role and you ideally only have one as both are poor users of the ball.

** would also add Tippa/Stringer to the maybe list. They have proven star quality. They just don’t have a best position currently. Stringer is a Mid/HF you lose too much impact with him only as a HF

So in conclusion. Scott’s shuffling/development has seemed to show that Essendon have about 1/3-1/2 a good team (which explains the low to middling finishes)

Step 2 is finding pillar players (wether through draft/development or FA) that are reliable players to go alongside Ridley/Merrett

Glass half full - every maybe becomes a yes + Tip, Stringer, Cox, Davey, Tsatas, 2023 FRP + whoever our cap room gets us. That’s 23/22 championship level players and the team has a real crack next season.

Glass half empty, most of the development players don’t work out. Get 10/22 of a top list and get pummeled by a tough draw
next season and the cycle repeats.

Most likely scenario.

Split the difference. Get to 16 championship level players but regress due to a lack of pillars, schedule difficulties a lot of youth.

Hope patience maintains and good development and smart cap usage pushes Essendon to 22 in 2025 against a soft draw
Scott will expose the list. We will achieve as much as we possibly can under him. Like at North when he achieved more than was expected with a mediocre list.
We will truly see Dodoro’s ability to not only pick talent, but list balance. I look forward to seeing what Brad does and believe he’ll have a big say in our list management.

Parish starts in every single midfield in the league.

Despite hitting the scoreboard earlier in the season and somehow kicking 5 against the Cats Weideman has been dreadful from the get, his poor form in the first month of the season coincided with Voss kicking 5, 4, 1.4 and 2.

The time to pull the trigger was then.

Seems to be sunk cost fallacy on our part, there’s no real other explanation in my eyes.
The issue is Voss is not a KPF . He does not cover the km that Scott wants his CHF to cover and his form has actually been good to just average. I know it seems simple but Scott is not going to change the basic structure he wants to set up for the future despite Weideman being well below par. I suspect Hunter would have been a really big chance if he did not get injured . I would also say that if Jones got to play VFL and found a little form he would have been back in. It is just not as basic as bring Voss in. He does not play the same role and they are not going to change set set up they want going forward. I will say it again. Voss does not cover the KM and he does not play the same role. He could actually replace Stringer if Jake needs a rest.

Parish starts in every single midfield in the league.

Parish is a good player but right now he’s playing as the No2 mid and no2 Small mid behind Merrett who’s the captain.

He’s a good player and I think he’s part of the solution but I’m not sure if him + Merrett is too undersized in big games and if that’s the case who plays elsewhere.

I just can’t see how the puzzle comes together yet.

Edit: think he’d find it hard to get a starting on ball spot for Melbourne, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Pies.

Parish is a good player but right now he’s playing as the No2 mid and no2 Small mid behind Merrett who’s the captain.

He’s a good player and I think he’s part of the solution but I’m not sure if him + Merrett is too undersized in big games and if that’s the case who plays elsewhere.

I just can’t see how the puzzle comes together yet.

Edit: think he’d find it hard to get a starting on ball spot for Melbourne, Brisbane, Port, Dogs, Pies.

He is second in the comp for clearances per game, behind only Lachie Neale.

I seriously do not understand our fanbase at times.

He is second in the comp for clearances per game, behind only Lachie Neale.

I seriously do not understand our fanbase at times.
I’m not saying he’s not a good player.

I’m saying I think Merrett is a better player (not that controversial)

I wonder how well the Parish Merrett mix works together, and what’s the best way to optimise that.

Nothing too controversial there. Judging by how Essendon has gone against the best sides it’s undersized and possibly an issue. Same issue with Hobbs, Caldwell, Sheil,

But they are worse then parish so by default they have to play another position

I’m not saying he’s not a good player.

I’m saying I think Merrett is a better player (not that controversial)

I wonder how well the Parish Merrett mix works together, and what’s the best way to optimise that.

Nothing too controversial there. Judging by how Essendon has gone against the best sides it’s undersized and possibly an issue. Same issue with Hobbs, Caldwell, Sheil,

But they are worse then parish so by default they have to play another position

Merrett is definitely a better player. I agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is Voss is not a KPF . He does not cover the km that Scott wants his CHF to cover and his form has actually been good to just average. I know it seems simple but Scott is not going to change the basic structure he wants to set up for the future despite Weideman being well below par. I suspect Hunter would have been a really big chance if he did not get injured . I would also say that if Jones got to play VFL and found a little form he would have been back in. It is just not as basic as bring Voss in. He does not play the same role and they are not going to change set set up they want going forward. I will say it again. Voss does not cover the KM and he does not play the same role. He could actually replace Stringer if Jake needs a rest.

I guess I’m not really sure what Weid is supposed to be giving that Voss couldn’t do apart from chop out in the ruck with those few extra centimetres and a better leap.

If Weid is not pulling down marks, getting on his bike, hitting the scoreboard, dragging a defender away from Wright, applying forward pressure or doing any ruck chop out then I see literally no reason why Voss couldn’t do that job with the added bonus of a little bit more forward pressure and us finding out something about a promising young kid before the end of the year.

Like I said, I don’t get it, at all.

I guess I’m not really sure what Weid is supposed to be giving that Voss couldn’t do apart from chop out in the ruck with those few extra centimetres and a better leap.

If Weid is not pulling down marks, getting on his bike, hitting the scoreboard, dragging a defender away from Wright, applying forward pressure or doing any ruck chop out then I see literally no reason why Voss couldn’t do that job with the added bonus of a little bit more forward pressure and us finding out something about a promising young kid before the end of the year.

Voss’ dropped marks were worse than Weideman’s. I’d rather keep Bryan in the team and bring in Phillips to replace Weid.

As someone else said it’s a shame Hunter got injured because he was quite impressive

you keep saying you see no reason. the main reason is he does not run the km required. he does not have the work rate . he also does not have a lot of forward pressure anyway.

One factor is Scott is not going to modify his plan in year one .

Last edited:
So 6 years? Away

I understand that you feel the need to try to be pedantic about every single little item of minutiae in order to win a perceived argument every time you interact with someone, but ‘closer to mid 20s’ is clearly not an exact timeline let alone a specific year.

Some players start getting it done at 21, others at 23, some at 25, some even later.

you keep saying you see no reason. the main reason is he does not run the km required. he does not have the work rate . he also does not have a lot of forward pressure anyway.

One factor is Scott is not going to modify his plan in year one .

Call me blind then, because Wright is back to pumping out 14ks a game and Weid looks to be getting to half as many contests, if that, and impacting very few of them.

And Voss averages 3.4 tackles per game in the VFL which is good for a midfielder, let alone a key forward, so you know he’s willing, if a little clumsy.

Agree with the sentiment that Hunter not getting injured probably solves this but this is sunk cost fallacy for a bloke that cost us a pack of sugar and a menthol cigarette.

Call me blind then, because Wright is back to pumping out 14ks a game and Weid looks to be getting to half as many contests, if that, and impacting very few of them.

And Voss averages 3.4 tackles per game in the VFL which is good for a midfielder, let alone a key forward, so you know he’s willing, if a little clumsy.

Agree with the sentiment that Hunter not getting injured probably solves this but this is sunk cost fallacy for a bloke that cost us a pack of sugar and a menthol cigarette.

The problem is that Voss isn’t actually a key forward, he’s Stringer-lite.

It would necessitate a change in structure or one of Stringer or Langford as the medium-tall forwards down there to be out.

Given Weideman’s form and lack of other tall options maybe a change in structure is a good idea, but my guess is they’ll bring Phillips in and play him more forward and retain the current structure.

The problem is that Voss isn’t actually a key forward, he’s Stringer-lite.

It would necessitate a change in structure or one of Stringer or Langford as the medium-tall forwards down there to be out.

Given Weideman’s form and lack of other tall options maybe a change in structure is a good idea, but my guess is they’ll bring Phillips in and play him more forward and retain the current structure.

Does it necessitate a change in structure if he’s not rucking? It’s one marking player for another, if anything it probably makes us a little less predictable and more nimble.

If the explanation is ‘we want a spare key position player in case we want to sub out a ruckman or someone gets injured in the backline, then just like ‘he’s doing a role and we’re happy with it’ I don’t think that’s an acceptable explanation.

Weideman has still been getting up the ground . The issue has been he gets to the contest but has not had an impact on them.
I will say it again. Voss may be 194cm but he is not a KPF. Very poor contested mark. Below average leap. Average pace so he struggles to get separation unless he gets the right match up. Not the smartest leading player. Yes he has averaged 3.4 tackles a game and this week he was good in that area but the tackle stats have been inflated by the games where he has played some half back.
I have seen all his games most of them live. His pressure has not always been great.
If he gets a game then we are playing 3 medium forwards. He is not a KPF.
It may not make sense but Scott has to stick to his guns structure wise. He can not sell a plan to the players and then say you know what lets not do that now. That is what ****ed Truck. Reading between the lines from the weekend Nick Cox may be in line to play the role. He is probably the next in line that has the attributes to play CHF like Scott wants.
I am not a fan of Weideman but I am not a fan of playing an average medium forward in his place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back