Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s still a pathway for us to finish bottom 4
And true to form we'll end up with pick 10 because the AFL arbitrarily give out picks to a few clubs.

Or we'll pick another skinny flanker.

And true to form we'll end up with pick 10 because the AFL arbitrarily give out picks to a few clubs.

Or we'll pick another skinny flanker.

That's a bit outdated, Kong.

We'll pick 4 skinny tall defenders or the equivalent of Parish, Francis and McGrath with picks 1 and 5 and 6.

I feel the need to vomit thinking about the top 10 recruiting we have done.

Last edited:
Teams have worked out our zone defense. We're really good at pushing back deep and filling the holes but we're so determined to push back we're leaving our direct opponents behind.

Meaning there is always a 20m short kick, which we then push up at and they pick us apart because the zone falls down. Next step for Scotty is to prevent this.

We'll see just how good a coach he is in the next 12 months.

He let the players cheat hard work required to properly defend the ground. Now he has to concede that doesn't work and get the players to defend properly. He'll need to use team selection to do it and move on at least 1 love child.

For all of the talk of wanting to build an elite program and take a long term approach, I have no idea why he has started in the middle instead of cutting right back.

I'd say his ego got the better of him. Too much sales spin and not enough reality.

We'll see just how good a coach he is in the next 12 months.

He let the players cheat hard work required to properly defend the ground. Now he has to concede that doesn't work and get the players to defend properly. He'll need to use team selection to do it and move on at least 1 love child.

For all of the talk of wanting to build an elite program and take a long term approach, I have no idea why he has started in the middle instead of cutting right back.

I'd say his ego got the better of him. Too much sales spin and not enough reality.
He came on too late to have any influence on the list. He said from the start he would assess the the playing group this year. If he had any infuence and came in with a broom we don't sign Redman or get players onboard.

Need to see what he does with the list at season's end. He wasn't afraid to make hard calls at North.

ant555 thoughts on the team defence ^^
Has fallen over a bit. They are pushing back too far too early and giving up space in the middle.
Also the forward line was back to its bad old form allowing the Swans to run in numbers from the back half.

Aside from 4 howlers (Geelong x2, Freo and WB), we've had a crack in every other game this season. Heading into the year, this was the minimum expectation we had for the club and the new coach, and they've provided that for the most part.

We've also seen signs of a gameplan that can stand up in finals. However, we don't have the fitness, nor the players to be able to execute it consistently over a whole season and against the better sides. As Scott has stressed numerous times, this part is going to take years to address. We have improved a lot on 2022, and we will end up with 11-12 wins for the season and finish around 11-14, which I think is a fair reflection of where we are truly at.

I think last night's game perfectly illustrated what we've done right this season, whilst also showing what areas we need to address, be it from a list management, fitness, or gameplan perspective. The final quarter showed that we are capable of playing some very good, balanced football against decent opposition (I don't believe Sydney are as bad as what their ladder position suggests).

The middle two quarters showed us why we aren't a finals side. Despite midfield dominance and what looked like control of the play, we found ourselves 7 goals down. Our structure fell apart when the Swans put on pressure, and they punished us for it. By the time we realised that we are capable of playing some good football, it was far too late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article about Essendon this year, supposedly an inside-ish view.

Stupidly long so have put relevant paragraphs only in the relevant threads:

Scott has immediately prioritised lifting standards through training and prioritised development with six development staff, up from two and a half.
No one wants to dance on Ben Rutten’s grave, but players turn up on time and have thrived on a more disciplined training regime.
Scott isn’t the player’s friend in the Craig McRae mould. He is a strong authoritative figure who commands respect and admiration.
A new sheriff in town, as he was described yesterday.

“There is a much greater level of maturity at the club,” one staffer remarked this week.
“The addition of two really experienced leaders (in Vozzo and Scott) has made a massive difference.”

AFL Player Ratings, 2023 individual improvement and post-bye slump:

The greatest advertisement for Scott’s program is that comparing Champion Data rankings from 2022 to 2023 a vast number of players have improved.
Will Setterfield is up 93 per cent based on AFL Player Ratings year on year, Nic Martin 64 per cent, Ben Hobbs 55 per cent, Jake Kelly 45 per cent, Jayden Laverde 32 per cent, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher 28 per cent, Jordan Ridley 13 per cent and Mason Redman 12 per cent.
As part of that slump comparing rounds 1-13 to rounds 14-19, eleven players have recorded double-figure slumps in their AFL player ratings including Jake Stringer (minus 63 per cent), Archie Perkins (minus 45 per cent), Will Snelling (minus 38 per cent), Sam Weideman (minus 33 per cent), Jake Kelly (minus 33 per cent), Sam Durham (minus 22 per cent), and Jye Caldwell (minus 21 per cent).

Also some midfield things that come back to the coaching:

Essendon has not been able to stop rival sides transitioning the ball all year but was so efficient with the ball in hand, it papered over the cracks.

In the past five weeks their kick rating has gone from the best in the competition to ninth, midfield turnovers from sixth to 16th and their scores inside 50 are 11th, down from third.

No. 5 draft pick Elijah Tsatas is close to a debut after brilliant VFL form but given Essendon’s surfeit of inside mids might have to develop more versatility in the senior side.
Ben Hobbs’ best games have hinted at a future A-grader, Nic Martin and Sam Durham have taken a huge step forward, and Kyle Langford is Essendon’s most improved player.

After Scott’s midfield was obliterated by the Western Bulldogs after quarter time on Friday night, Scott confessed the balance might be out of whack.

A lot of chat about the latest reno but the place still seems the same.
It's interesting

The year has felt light years better than 2022 but we're on track to finish in the same spot.

But I guess that's been Brad's point and Robbo can cry all he likes about it
Basket case to genuine contender takes more than a year,

He came on too late to have any influence on the list. He said from the start he would assess the the playing group this year. If he had any infuence and came in with a broom we don't sign Redman or get players onboard.

Need to see what he does with the list at season's end. He wasn't afraid to make hard calls at North.

That's a good way to rationalise the same old bad decisions

Litter GIF by JC Property Professionals
Brad Scott, this list.

Players weren’t turning up on time?! The more we find out.. 🤦🏻
Parish was definitely late to training in his earlier days, but was punctual (just in time) under Rutten. I think there was a particular story he told on the podcast last year about being late once and how Truck responded but I forget the details 🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back