Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

This is also what Scott was saying in the press conference about never seeing a losing side with those stats before. We controlled large chunks of the game but the connection with the forward line was stunted, probably because the ball movement through the middle of the ground was less than ideal.

If it's Hoyne and CD it's probably on the SEN podcasts, I think he has a segment where he talks shit. You might find it written up as an article on their website too.

It's never as good or as bad as it seems... but people react emotionally and it's always a little bit volatile around here when expectations aren't met.

'If we kicked straight' is a bit of a fallacy though. If we kicked straight.. the ball would've gone back to the middle of the ground where it would be subject to our midfield set up and the 6-6-6, instead of being kicked into our forward line for another shot at goal, or an end-to-end goal against... so there's no guarantee that every behind would have become a goal if we'd only kicked straight.

What the inaccuracy on the scoreboard does tell us is that there is a problem with some combination of the following:
  • ball movement from wherever in the ground we gain possession towards the forward line (is it clean, is it fast – does it overcome their defence quickly enough to give ourselves the best chance to score)
  • strategy when deciding to kick, handball, or run the ball inside 50 and what kind of shot on goal that it allows for (set shot vs on the run, distance, angle from the goals)
  • forwards' leading patterns and understanding of each other's leading patterns/not getting in each other's way or running away from where the ball is gonna be
  • forwards' marking skills, and whether the ball is greasy or properly weighted to them/aimed at their knees/opponent
  • match-ups between our forwards and their defenders, whether we have a height, speed, endurance, positioning, smarts advantage and whether we know how to use that advantage effectively
  • forward's kicking skills (mechanics, shot selection), and whether the ball is brand new/kicked in/sodden, and the direction of the breeze

Knowing that we have injuries to key players and others are playing out of position to accomodate, it makes sense that we would have these issues. They're the same problems we had last year minus the bandaids we managed to apply over the pre-season and early part of the year. So until we get enough pieces back to patch it up... this is what we have to deal with. And for next year, we need more depth!
Good post. yes, "if we kicked straight" is a bit of a fallacy, I agree. It was said a little tongue in cheek, as it's more than just kicking straight, and you have much more eloquently summed it up than I ever could.

Mid season check in:

Contested possession differential per game last year we were in the negatives and in the bottom 6, this year well in the positive and in the top 5.

Intercept possession differential per game last year we were in the negatives and in the bottom 4, this year, positive and in the top 6.

Ground ball gets differential per game last year we were second last, this year 9th and basically neutral.

Total clearances, contested marks and intercept mark differential we were bottom 4 or 5 in each last year and are now top 5 or 6 in each. We’re second in tackle diff as well.

The profile is much better despite the fact that the limped into the bye, he needs to get them back up and play out the year maintaining it.

Mid season check in:

Contested possession differential per game last year we were in the negatives and in the bottom 6, this year well in the positive and in the top 5.

Intercept possession differential per game last year we were in the negatives and in the bottom 4, this year, positive and in the top 6.

Ground ball gets differential per game last year we were second last, this year 9th and basically neutral.

Total clearances, contested marks and intercept mark differential we were bottom 4 or 5 in each last year and are now top 5 or 6 in each. We’re second in tackle diff as well.

The profile is much better despite the fact that the limped into the bye, he needs to get them back up and play out the year maintaining it.
where did you get the stats from? I can find most but struggle to find the ground ball gets.
Im really keen to see what our ground ball gets differential has been per game, to the naked eye feel like this has been a big improvement this year but that there has been a drop off in the last month. Wanted to check if thats the case or not.

where did you get the stats from? I can find most but struggle to find the ground ball gets.
Im really keen to see what our ground ball gets differential has been per game, to the naked eye feel like this has been a big improvement this year but that there has been a drop off in the last month. Wanted to check if thats the case or not.

Wheeloratings. Incredible resource.

The groundball thing is a massive improvement. Add Gresham, Caldwell or Hobbs often rest in the forward line.

As if to further underline his importance further, Setterfield is our best groundball player on a per game basis.

Mid season check in:

Its really good to see those improvements. I'm just hoping that the numbers still stack up by the end of the H&A.
I do reckon the extra 4 players we added last year will go a long way to helping us run out the entire season, simply by having substantially more depth than we had last year.

Brad was interviewed by Gerard and Bucks. Quite an insightful listen from how the players went to Arizona to Duz living with Andy to observe his prep firsthand.

Talks about elite lifestyle, leadership what he focusses on as the coach.
Also talks about the three rucks. Drapes trained well last two weeks and is available.

Lots discussed. If you have a spare 15 mins, please go to the SEN podcasts with Whateley.

Good post. yes, "if we kicked straight" is a bit of a fallacy, I agree. It was said a little tongue in cheek, as it's more than just kicking straight, and you have much more eloquently summed it up than I ever could.
One thing very apparent was the pressure our mids were under when going forward. Carlton seemed to have a lot more time and space - the classic example was two of our mids running to Cripps (I think it was) leaving their other mid free. Our defensive positioning a work in progress but far better this year in general than previous years. Funny to think it but an area we have missed Parish, I thought his positioning and pressure has been very good in his last few matches before injury.

One thing very apparent was the pressure our mids were under when going forward. Carlton seemed to have a lot more time and space - the classic example was two of our mids running to Cripps (I think it was) leaving their other mid free. Our defensive positioning a work in progress but far better this year in general than previous years. Funny to think it but an area we have missed Parish, I thought his positioning and pressure has been very good in his last few matches before injury.
Yeah I noticed that our ball users were under alot of pressure too. They also took away our intercepting strength in defence which also contributed to this.

Yeah I noticed that our ball users were under alot of pressure too. They also took away our intercepting strength in defence which also contributed to this.
Then when they went forward they had space in the most dangerous areas (F50 central corridor and close to goalmouth). Taking out of the equation their quality of entries whether that also had to do with us having organisation issues or them having talent I am not sure. We looked immediately smothered when we went in that area in our forward 50. It was an exercise in extracting teeth.

Big fan of returning Martin to the forward half.

Please never play this many talls again.

Also can we stop making Ridley play as a key defender, thanks Brad.
They're playing 4 key forwards and 2 rucks. No real alternative

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to cut ties with the vets Brad.
Not sure you actually build the culture you want by doing that while you are actually winning.
On top of that the captain loves a couple of those veterans .

Reckon this is a product of him being simply a good coach and not a great coach but it really doesn’t feel like the attention to detail is there, and the attention to detail is the difference.

Game needs to be shut down in the centre bounce at the end of the last quarter, Durham and Caldwell are both at half forward and it’s Stringer, Perkins and Merrett. Then we trade goals, the game is still there to be shut down and Durham is in there but he is on the attacking side of the stoppage for some reason and Stringer is still in there and the eagles go straight out the front of the stoppage.

Might not seem like much now, but you’d like to think they are highlighting that kind of thing now before it bites when it matters.

Jones on a wing.
Good as second string for him.

Coach seems to like versatility. In fact I’d go so far as to say it’s a rite of passage - to play for Brad you have to do a game on the wing. Jones, Tsatas, Cox, Hind, Dursma, Settlefield (narrow wing), Merret, Kelly, Menzie, Perkins… must have missed someone or somethree?

Last edited:
I’ve loved some of the things he’s done but his selection and positioning choices are downright bad, stemming from his North days.

Two rucks and 2MP does not work - especially in the wet. Menzie is not AFL standard. Nic Martin is not a half back and has lost all confidence in his kicking. Langford in defence was hilarious when the whole supporter base had been saying he’s a forward since he got drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back