Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I read that and the main takeaway for me is that the onus is on him to break the information down and present it in a different way.

I put my L+D hat on and the fact that some have really taken to him and some have stagnated and/or gone backwards tells me that some probably don’t mesh with the presentation of information. Just like any other job. From there it’s up to Scott to use his experience to troubleshoot or lean on his assistants, it’s also up to the player to put their hand up as well btw, so the playing group is by no means blameless either.

They are certainly fitter and a little bit more resilient so I’ll give him that.
And this is also where the lack of leadership depth comes in an list quality as well. Lack of leadership slows the ability to drive it on the field and list quality ends up putting you in a spot where you have players like Kelly or Heppell who do there all to play the role how the coach wants it done but the flip side is it is a fin line between towing the line as far as game plan v actual football output on the ground . Or you have the Geulfi situation or Laverde situation where they play like warriors but in Laverdes case he is under sized and just an average kick and Geulfi who simply lacks the speed .
Weather brad is the right man or not they simply do not have the pieces in place and they will make plenty of perplexing moves based on finding out what they actually have within what they actually have.
I would not say he does not mesh with the present generation. Perkins has gone backwards and Bryan just plateaued but Caldwell and Durham have gone forwards. Caddy is improving all the time. Jones is taking on a new role with gusto. It is not 100% one way or another.

I am obsessed with a coach that continually contradicts himself, who has tried to rebuild a team allowing it to continue cheating and who hasn't delivered anything other than the slightest bit of additional bite in 2 seasons.

2 seasons in and we have almost no idea what we will be like when we are supposedly good.

Why am I trusting him for 4 or 5 more years? Because of his time at North? I remember the state in which he left North.
Well throw away lines in the media have nothing to do with anything and suckers who get obsessed with them are wasting their time and effort.
I put more weight on the fact you mention what he did at North which is why I have never been sold other to say it is never going to be a short term process and so far the change has been they are fitter and being one who has seen training over the years the preparation is better. The question mark is can the new lot making list decisions get that right.
As for two season. well you may not buy it but it was a fact that Barham gave the all clear for Vozzo and Scott to basically do an audit in year one . You can take that to the bank. If you do not want to buy it then so be it but it is info I got from a very reliable source.
Scott had one FA / Trade / Draft period where he was in control with McPherson and Rosa and Vozzo. One. That is a fact. The list is all over the place. You know that. Are you saying one period should be enough ? Seriously ?
At the moment all I am trusting him with is to get the basic platform right and that is a football program that gets the players fit enough . Professional enough and developed with a decent amount of coaches working with them. After that who knows. How do you add bite to a group that was largely built by someone else and lacks balance ?

Last edited:

I don't think he/we are far from better results. He needs to fix the forward line and clearly he's prepared to try some different things down there (and with talls on the wing etc) - Stringer / Wright / Langford all in patchy or poor form hasn't helped at all and none of them have been a reliable avenue to goal this year. That said Caddy looks good and we may already have another solution to our forward woes in Cox. He looks very likely up there and is also efficient. I'd give him the rest of the year forward and get Duursma back on the wing.

I read that and the main takeaway for me is that the onus is on him to break the information down and present it in a different way.

I put my L+D hat on and the fact that some have really taken to him and some have stagnated and/or gone backwards tells me that some probably don’t mesh with the presentation of information. Just like any other job. From there it’s up to Scott to use his experience to troubleshoot or lean on his assistants, it’s also up to the player to put their hand up as well btw, so the playing group is by no means blameless either.

They are certainly fitter and a little bit more resilient so I’ll give him that.
It doesn’t matter how you break down the message if the audience isn’t attuned to it.

We’ve had a culture of front running footy for over a decade and an attitude towards defence that can probably be summed up by “that’s what the defenders do”. It is really hard to cut through that, you have to take apart the old culture build one where tremendous value is placed on ideas like defending being everyone’s responsibility. Until that happens the message either falls on deaf ears or the players will smile and nod, and revert back to the old ways as soon as their instincts kick in.

That’s why I’m really happy to see us not dropping our heads as much as in previous seasons. The old Essendon would have crumbled after the Crows second quarter but we stuck at it all game. It’s important because it’s a sign that the culture around the team is changing, four quarter efforts are now non negotiable. Our team defense still sucks but that’s a technical aspect of the game plan, what we can see are improved individual defensive efforts which again points to a change in the team’s attitude towards it. Stuff like that indicates a solid foundation is being built.

Old mate Ben Jaconbs has a few issues with the backline. Lack of overall pressure at times is also big worry.
That was might thought too. Backline players are clearly being coached to handball backwards, otherwise they all have some collective psychosis.

To be fair, they did fix it after the 2nd quarter and I noticed them all stop turning around as soon as they get the ball

That was might thought too. Backline players are clearly being coached to handball backwards, otherwise they all have some collective psychosis.

To be fair, they did fix it after the 2nd quarter and I noticed them all stop turning around as soon as they get the ball
Never seen them do it at training.

He gets five years. It seems like an eternity but next year will be his third season and more importantly his third pre season. The gameplan should start to solidify next season if things are going to plan.

Next year is the year I start getting worried if we are still falling into this hole.

I think we need more player turnover. Bring in more players that can follow the plan, or who can follow more complex instructions.

Some people seem upset at Scott, but I'm not sure what they expect? Do they still think bringing back Hird would be a viable option and would fix everything? Because it wouldn't. Culture would still be an issue. And players can only perform on emotion for so long. Dropping Scott for any other coach just puts everything back to square one again.

I agree that falling off a cliff again next year would be a concern. But there have been some good gains this year, and with some more turnover at the end of the year we should keep improving.

I think we need more player turnover. Bring in more players that can follow the plan, or who can follow more complex instructions.

Some people seem upset at Scott, but I'm not sure what they expect? Do they still think bringing back Hird would be a viable option and would fix everything? Because it wouldn't. Culture would still be an issue. And players can only perform on emotion for so long. Dropping Scott for any other coach just puts everything back to square one again.

I agree that falling off a cliff again next year would be a concern. But there have been some good gains this year, and with some more turnover at the end of the year we should keep improving.

Football supporters aren’t very patient, the current cohort will always pay for the sins of the past.

Yeah, I don't know who the main offenders are but I'd be happy to see a few of the blokes who aren't willing or able to follow Scott's preferred gameplan shopped around or delisted.

If we can get a few extra picks in the first and second round before Tassie wreck the draft itwould be really helpful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, let’s go to an impartial source - David King…

The North Melbourne great doesn’t believe that the side should still be learning, describing Essendon as an ‘experienced group’ as they were top five across the entirety of Round 19 for games played per team.

King felt the Dons had gone past their old ways but has seen similarities to recent disappointing campaigns in recent weeks.

Ok, let’s go to an impartial source - David King…

The North Melbourne great doesn’t believe that the side should still be learning, describing Essendon as an ‘experienced group’ as they were top five across the entirety of Round 19 for games played per team.

King felt the Dons had gone past their old ways but has seen similarities to recent disappointing campaigns in recent weeks.

He had some points but he was also going on like McKay had been horrible all season. Hell McKay was only really horrible in the first half. Of course being experienced means nothing if you have never achieved something.

I’m still a fan of coach.
Do think he’s achieved a bit (with broader new football dept):

Midfield depth - built up some more depth in the mid field.

Player attitude / fitness - hoping they build on the Collerado approach from last season

Knows player limitations - anyone on this site knows them:
  • Sml pressure forward… gave Jnr an extended run as our best potential
  • Ruck quality … bought in Goldie to support, help teach Draper & Bryan
  • Back line distribution … switched Martin there. Yeah, I hate it too… but…
  • Player development … giving guys a go in new roles
  • In game leadership - not saying it’s good (especially after Friday) but much better than the low bar of previous seasons
  • Transitions (ours / stopping oppo) … ok, struggling with this one… struggled to see improvement.

More importantly, I think people are missing his biggest secret strength:
  • Knows we’re currently a middling team
  • Over achieved on wins to date / ladder position (building up expectation)
  • Tanking by stealth through selection (rucks, Archie, Hepp, Kelly, Lav etc) so we can get a decent player again this year… ;)

He had some points but he was also going on like McKay had been horrible all season. Hell McKay was only really horrible in the first half. Of course being experienced means nothing if you have never achieved something.
It was hard to take what he was saying seriously because it really just looked like he wanted to throw barbs at McKay.

For me the jury’s still out on whether Scott is the right guy - but at some stage we have to acknowledge there might not be a huge waiting list of potential aspirants for the role! Ie, mediocre playing list with elements of “who cares” / unprofessionalism, Dodoro and Sheedy still calling the shots, heavily interfering coteries, and a desperate and impatient supporter base - if the club doesn’t give him at least 4 years there won’t be many others jumping at the chance to step into the inferno 😕

Not normally a massive expected score guy but even when I look at us and think we are going like a busted arse we are still doing as much good as we are bad.

5358B77B-ACB7-4C3D-A50E-F3CF4DE0C40F.jpeg

Braddles simply has to tidy up the fringes.

Not normally a massive expected score guy but even when I look at us and think we are going like a busted arse we are still doing as much good as we are bad.

View attachment 2055904

I had a listen to Kyptastic 's interview with Dale Tapping, was pretty interesting to hear his take on forward entries/intercepts etc and how that impacts are scoring efficiency, it definitely a work in progress but they are well aware it requires a lot of work.

Last edited:

View attachment 2055904

Feels like something that the English cricket team would bring out after loosing a test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back