Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

What's this stat mean?

Puts every shot at goal into a big computer and spits out an expected score based on position, pressure, difficulty ect. Set shot from the goalsquare would probably be a 5.9 points, Rachelle’s game winner would probably be with 0.7 or something like that.

The caveat is that I still think we are playing like crap, but we are creating enough good looks to be neck deep in most, if not all games. That, to me at least puts a little bit of a kibosh on the notion that the list is crap and Scott doesn’t have a few toys to play with.

Last edited:
Puts every shot at goal into a big computer and spits out an expected score based on position, pressure, difficulty ect. Set shot from the goalsquare would probably be a 5.9 points, Rachelle’s game winner would probably be with 0.7 or something like that.

The caveat is that I still think we are playing like crap, but we are creating enough good looks to be neck deep in most, if not all games.
They've got computers that add up 6 points for every goal and a point for every behind, and the results will have you questioning your own sanity.

I don't think he's a very good tactical coach.
I gave him the benefit of the doubt not playing a number 1 ruckman against Gold Coasts backup.

But he lost me when he played a tall side in the wet against Melbourne.

Since then we've played tall sides every game, which doesn't suit the forward press game plan he's employing. When it hits the ground, opposition sides are running off with it, because we are outnumbered in runners.

He's playing two rucks and tall wingman. We are too tall in the middle of the ground. When we mark it great, but it spends more time on the ground.

We were winning with this forward press game plan. But that's when we had 1 ruckman, an even number of runners in the midfield, and we had Davey as a defensive/quick half forward. All which helped that gameplan.

We need to put the early season setup back in place, or get rid of the forward press, and keep men behind the ball with that taller setup. It's either one or the other. Not some mish mash of both!

Last edited:

Weekly champion data stat segment on SEN tonight featured Essendon a fair bit.

We have changed since last year but overall haven’t improved a lot.

Big change has been defending and pressing further up the ground, trying to force the turnover in midfield rather than the backline. It’s been somewhat successful.

Biggest issue however has been once it actually gets into the backline. Our defenders are terrible at winning contests so once the ball gets into the opposition forward line, they’re scoring waaaaaay too easily - even though it is going in there less.

McKay, Kelly and Laverde were all singled out as well below average for winning defensive contests.

Never know how much to take from these data things but I guess it was interesting to hear.

McKay is a better interceptor than defender.

Laverde is just constantly fighting out of his weight division and it takes its toll. He’s just too small to be a key defender these days.

Kelly, well… he has the reputation as a dour defender because he doesn’t do much else. Guess the question has to be asked if he’s really good enough.

Big change has been defending and pressing further up the ground, trying to force the turnover in midfield rather than the backline. It’s been somewhat successful.

Biggest issue however has been once it actually gets into the backline. Our defenders are terrible at winning contests so once the ball gets into the opposition forward line, they’re scoring waaaaaay too easily - even though it is going in there less.

McKay, Kelly and Laverde were all singled out as well below average for winning defensive contests.

Never know how much to take from these data things but I guess it was interesting to hear.

Laverde is just constantly fighting out of his weight division and it takes its toll. He’s just too small to be a key defender these days.

Kelly, well… he has the reputation as a dour defender because he doesn’t do much else. Guess the question has to be asked if he’s really good enough.

I suspect part of that is that once the opposition gets through our high press, there's absolutely zero pressure on them so they're able to take all the time they like to execute passes.

Not sure I've seen any team consistently concede end-to-end transition goals as regularly and quickly as we do atm.

I assume part of that is our lack of speedy smalls in the front half to lock the ball in and/or apply pressure on the ball carrier coming out so they're not just running straight through / past our midfielders.

I suspect part of that is that once the opposition gets through our high press, there's absolutely zero pressure on them so they're able to take all the time they like to execute passes.

Not sure I've seen any team consistently concede end-to-end transition goals as regularly and quickly as we do atm.

I assume part of that is our lack of speedy smalls in the front half to lock the ball in and/or apply pressure on the ball carrier coming out so they're not just running straight through / past our midfielders.

Add to the complete lack of pressure we have on the guy kicking the ball in much of the time as we have wright or stringer standing at the top of the square guarding the kick in guy, the amount of times we have a guy run out and kick over half our zone is ridiculous.

Compared to our kick ins which are short to the pocket with the kicker then running to get a handpass and kicking long

Add to the complete lack of pressure we have on the guy kicking the ball in much of the time as we have wright or stringer standing at the top of the square guarding the kick in guy, the amount of times we have a guy run out and kick over half our zone is ridiculous.

Compared to our kick ins which are short to the pocket with the kicker then running to get a handpass and kicking long

Very good call. I was watching a game of local footy a couple of months back of all things, and this was so noticeable. One team had this lightning quick little guy standing the mark at kick-ins and the impact was so obvious - he just bolted at the kicker whenever he ran on and put on an huge amount of pressure.

If they get it at that level, hopefully they do at the top level!

'Dour' is definitely one word to describe Kelly.

Very good call. I was watching a game of local footy a couple of months back of all things, and this was so noticeable. One team had this lightning quick little guy standing the mark at kick-ins and the impact was so obvious - he just bolted at the kicker whenever he ran on and put on an huge amount of pressure.

I wonder how many rucks they play in the wet.

What a surprise.

Davey was doing this in the early part of the season and we looked better.

All this talk of a gory review makes me think he is going to back in the group for a response.

puke GIF

I think that's a really interesting point you raise too.

For those that wonder how far off are we, have we made ground?
Just watch other sides. You will see the gap, and it exists across pros and your amateurs.

Even North, watch how they bring in a ball from a kick in. You can see the running patterns to open up a hole and then kick to a space, Hinges kick to Fogarty style, the player isn't open when the ball is kicked, they become open from the kick. Watch a NFL game, you throw open guys.
Watch the dogs, they have a play where they send english to the right and have Bont ok the left, Dale will run out to kick to english then hook the ball across the body to the other side, by that time the zone has already begun shifting so they catch them out.

We do none of that. Literally zero.
Our best play was the kick to pocket with someone running past creating a player pushing up to crab it up the wing once we have the outnumber. That was THE play earlier in the year.

Just on an entirely different level, and it's coaching, not just players.
How many goals do we not give up on shit turnovers if we put work into this side of the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That it could be a difficult talk with Heppell really highlight the mismanagement.

He's barely been AFL standard in a role other than half back possession accumulator for 4 years, probably longer.

How's he going to go with the discussion he must have with Parish and probably Wright?

By the way possession accumulation at half back doesn't make a player AFL standard.

That it could be a difficult talk with Heppell really highlight the mismanagement.

He's barely been AFL standard in a role other than half back possession accumulator for 4 years, probably longer.

How's he going to go with the discussion he must have with Parish and probably Wright?

By the way possession accumulation at half back doesn't make a player AFL standard.

It's the person not the current player.

This guy is an ex captain, one of the guys Scott's lent on to assist with leadership and professional standards.
A guy who has had a pretty rotten run of a career in regards to accomplishments and team success, add in doping ban.
Every time Scott talks about Hep he raves about him, and it's safe to say Hep the person is one of the more liked and respected people in the league.

Having the conversation that is going to lead to the end of his career would be tough.

Also noting a conversation is hard or difficult doesn't mean he won't do it.
Just how if something is simple (like having your players not butcher the ball) doesn't make it easy.

So Heppell had to be told his time was nearing a close instead of having the perspective and self awareness to realise it himself.
He wouldn’t be alone there.

My employers typically need to invent a fake restructure and make me redundant to get me to leave when I’m past my use by date…

I do not deny you have a point with mismanagement . He should have been pensioned off last year however I do wonder if you have had an involvement in a footy club . Like or not Heppell is a stalwart who has given everything to the club so it is never a great conversation to have.

I do not deny you have a point with mismanagement . He should have been pensioned off last year however I do wonder if you have had an involvement in a footy club . Like or not Heppell is a stalwart who has given everything to the club so it is never a great conversation to have.
A footy club, or a boys club? The cats managed to tell plenty of champions thanks and goodbye. Remember Sam Mitchell the Eagle? You should do, Josh Green running him down one of the few highlights of our miserable recent existence

A footy club, or a boys club? The cats managed to tell plenty of champions thanks and goodbye. Remember Sam Mitchell the Eagle? You should do, Josh Green running him down one of the few highlights of our miserable recent existence
Totally missed the point. By a long way.
It was about how hard the conversation is when you are actually telling them. My point was never about being 2 years too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back