Team Captain
Jan 16, 2006
Glasgow
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glasgow Sharks/Magpies
The end of Intl Rules?

I think the GAA are now going to pull the plug on this concept and that 2007 in Oz will be its swansong. They seem to have taken it very badly again.

Anyone agree?

Re: The end of Intl Rules?

They Relized they Can't beat Australia so they Are having a Sook and Quitting.

I think the GAA are now going to pull the plug on this concept and that 2007 in Oz will be its swansong. They seem to have taken it very badly again.

Anyone agree?

I don't agree at all. Its all media smoke as usual. Noone (Irish) i met after the match wanted it finished.

All i want is to give you guys a competitive match next year.

I don't agree at all. Its all media smoke as usual. Noone (Irish) i met after the match wanted it finished.

All i want is to give you guys a competitive match next year.

yeah kicking on target would be a starter. The irish team should not be missing the overs they were

Anyone agree?

Irish have shown to be bad sports when it comes to these games, it is not like they are have gone through these games without kicking, headbutting and dropping knees into players.

If they had gone through series after series not doing anything dirty and they were pummeled physically then everyone here would want our players to be held accountable for their actions.

If the Irish can't see what their players are doing on-field and do not accept responsibility for their own actions then perhaps cancelling the series is in order because you would have to be blind and stupid not to see what happens on the field in these games.

Nicky Brennan, President of the GAA has just been interviewed on Irish Radio main news programme. He said that the scenes seen yesterday were a disgrace and that one side and one side only were responsible. He said the series is hanging by the slimest of treads and was asked directly did he feel the series was over. He said that there were procedures to go through but that his personal view and that of other leading GAA figures were that it was over.

Brennan played Hurling to the highest level and is no 'soft' man so when he says its over - its over.

Having long been a supporter of IR after yesterday I have to argee with him.
Our concepts of what is sporting and fairplay are just too far apart.

For the sake of our country's and Ireland's mutual admiration for each other since the time of Australia's founding fathers and mothers it is best IR be abolished.

The only problem is the biffo.
Finding and erasing the cause of it is the answer to the irish retaining the series.

see thread about the different rules of engagement.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281354

Mind you if the Irish won they would be lapping up the biffo. I don't mind seeing it as long as no individual suffers serious consequences in terms of injury or loss of wages. They should be insured for double what moneys they missed out on.

Christ, every ime the Aussies win they whinge. I'm happy to see the end of it, its boring as bat******** without any biff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicky Brennan, President of the GAA has just been interviewed on Irish Radio main news programme. He said that the scenes seen yesterday were a disgrace and that one side and one side only were responsible. He said the series is hanging by the slimest of treads and was asked directly did he feel the series was over. He said that there were procedures to go through but that his personal view and that of other leading GAA figures were that it was over.

Brennan played Hurling to the highest level and is no 'soft' man so when he says its over - its over.

After Boylan's comments and now these from Brennan, i have to say if these are the sorts of one eyed intellectual pygmies we are dealing with, than its best if the series is scrapped.

For any relationship to work there has to be give and take and concession, from both parties. Clearly the Irish are unwilling and incapable of even considering they may be in any way complicit in the events we saw in Dublin yesterday.

The Irish had blokes dropping knees into heads/spines/groins, blokes headbutting, blokes kicking people in the ribs....and yet after a legit shirtfront and legit tackle its we Australian's that are labelled thugs.

Demetriou should fire up (publicly) at the GAA and demand they start accepting a share of the ownership for what transpired, and stop acting as though they are as pure as the driven snow.

It shouldnt be left to Sheeds alone to defend our boys, but knowing Demetriou's track record and style, he wont say a word, and will likely brown nose the Irish instead.

Forget IR and lets go back to a four yearly State Of Origin Carnival... this annual carnival for whingers, pansys, one eyed morons, tabloid journos and inbred micks who grew up without running water, just isnt worth the grief.

I watched the game and have read the Irish papers today - I honestly cant believe they were watching the same game.

Personally I couldnt care less about IR, that was only the second game I have seen all the way through but its the whining of the Irish that I find completely unbelievable.

The first quarter was full of the usual push, shove and wrestling we see regularly in AFL and added to that were 3 or 4 cheap shots ALL BY THE IRISH. The knee to the back, the swinging leg by Geraghty that took out Brown and the headbutt WAY OFF THE BALL on O'Keefe.

The Aussies took out Geraghty with a legal tackle in AFL (perhaps illegal in IR as he slung the player to the ground). The tackle was in play, it was neither high nor low and was by our smallest player - Geraghty is a thug who should have been permanently banned years ago for interfering with an umpire but instead only got a year. He is also apparently soft or unlucky getting knocked out by a standard AFL tackle.

The second player cleaned up was by Adam Selwood with a completely legitimate bump that only hurt the guy because he ducked into it. The bump was with elbow tucked in, feet on the ground and was legit.

Kennealy was hurt in a contest - wow imagine that.

The carry on by Irelands coach was disgraceful and he needs to be banned. The carry on by the GAA officials and the Irish press is indicative of a bunch of very poor sports who have never achieved anything at all on a world stage apart from having the leading terrorist organisation for a couple of decades - weak pricks who dont like to look their enemies in the eye, just whinge abount mythical wrongs done to them. ;)

Go and get drunk and fight each other - at least then you might fight someone with similar flaws....

The series adds nothing to the AFL and makes the Irish look like complete twats - so maybe it should be continued :D

Message to Ireland- <sound of crickets chirping>

I'm probably in the minority in Australia who quite enjoy/enjoyed watching IR as a spectacle, but frankly, the care factor in OZ regarding its continuation is very close to zero. Ever since Australia started taking it seriously, it stopped being a sport and started being a freak show- a chance for professionals who felt like a bit of a ******** and giggle to patronise a group of amateurs.

At the moment the GAA are like a little kid who go out of their way to pick a fight with the school bully, gets hammered, and then burst into tears and run home to mummy.

The truth is that with an AFL calibre coach, selection policy geared towards winning and AFL calibre levels of fitness, toughness and tactics, its just a waste of time. The last two years have followed a predictable pattern of Ireland talking the talk about how big and tough and unintimidated they were, trying a few cheap shots, knees to the back of the head etc, then getting flustered, panicky and totally physically intimidated, running out of puff and collapsing in a heap, then screaming blue murder like it was all unexpected.

That's not the GAA players faults, they're part timers, and they play a far softer sport than (even the modern, a good less physical) AFL, but bleating about fair play and sportsmanship and whatever is utterly idiotic- physical pressure might be as alien to them as the round ball is to us, it's a legitimate AFL tactic, and along with the ability to run games out better, it's the major skill set that AFL players are going to bring to a game where their physical and mental toughness is the major advantage they have to offset the lack of skill with the round ball.

Basically, the alternative would be to play it with an AFL football, and totally outlaw all forms of non GAA allowed physical contact. That would of course be an ugly, error ridden farce (which incidentally, Australia would dominate even more so), so that's it.

If the series dies because GAA players are afraid to put themselves in the firing line, then fine, I don't blame them, the concept is probably unworkable.

If you want to cross over the white line with a bunch of hardened professionals, you're fair game. If you're afraid to do that anymore, fine. But for ********'s sake stop getting weepy about something which everyone associated with the series knew was going to happen in every game played.

Message to Ireland: You're a bunch of whinging sooks. Sure, it's alright for your pack of failures to drop the knee in, but it's not OK for the Aussies to have a legitimate tackle.

Every year you moan and bitch until more concessions are made away from the Aussie game towards Gaelic. You won't be happy until we're playing you at straight Gaelic football - and our professional athletes, given enough training, would probably beat your pathetic rabble of rooftilers and potato farmers at that, as well.

Get a grip, stop crying, and learn how to play the game. That, or take your ball and run home to Mummy like you intend to do.

What happened to your supporters defiantly singing "You Will Never Beat The Irish" at the MCG back in 2003, huh? Hey, how about the uproar your weak GAA president made last year?

See you for another shellacking in 2007.

The Irish coach said Geraghty, Kennelly, Begley and Ryan were targeted.

What were the incidents.
Geraghty - Pearce tackle. Illegal in IR, legal in AFL. Unfortunate
Kennelly - Collision, not sure if involved in any of the brawling.
Begley - Not sure if it was him, but a blonde Irish player and an Aussie dove at the ball at the same team and blondey came off second best.
Ryan - can't recall an incident.

In addition
Coulter - Selwood stood his ground, Coulter showed he doesn't know how to ride a bump.

If this is to go ahead both the coach and captain of Ireland need to be stood down.
The captain said the refereeing was weak, the coach said it was a disgrace and that the Australian ref was biased. If you said something like this in AFL you would cop a $20,000 fine. Considering the Irish are amateurs, suspension would be the only punishment.

At least Sheedy when conducting the press conference didn't criticise players/teams/umpires directly. All he said the video tape needs to be looked at before the blame is laid.

Geez what a mob of soft cry babies you lot are.

who'd have thought.

Message to Ireland: You're a bunch of whinging sooks. Sure, it's alright for your pack of failures to drop the knee in, but it's not OK for the Aussies to have a legitimate tackle.

Every year you moan and bitch until more concessions are made away from the Aussie game towards Gaelic. You won't be happy until we're playing you at straight Gaelic football - and our professional athletes, given enough training, would probably beat your pathetic rabble of rooftilers and potato farmers at that, as well.

Get a grip, stop crying, and learn how to play the game. That, or take your ball and run home to Mummy like you intend to do.

What happened to your supporters defiantly singing "You Will Never Beat The Irish" at the MCG back in 2003, huh? Hey, how about the uproar your weak GAA president made last year?

See you for another shellacking in 2007.

Im with you mate. Aren't the Irish supposed to be a tough people ? maybe that is just a myth. The whingeing when they lose is just plain pathetic.

Well if they can't put up with a little niggle and biff a couple of times a year then perhaps it's just well that the plug gets pulled - I didn't hear too much whingeing about physicality last week when the Irish won, though granted it seems it was elevated somewhat in the decider last night.

It seems as though the Irish just can't handle a little heat on the field of play, which seems surprising given the Irish reputation, but it's annoying to hear the same crap every year because a few soft Irish can't deal with some tackling - and then arc up about a few fights which more often than not they are the cause of anyway.

Your comments merely prove how right it is to end the series. You are totally blind to what actually went on yesterday - to the total partiality of your nominated ref/umpire and to the premeditated taking out of Irelands best players. Thats why, thank God , we will be having nothing more to do with the losiest sportsmen on earth.

Your comments merely prove how right it is to end the series. You are totally blind to what actually went on yesterday - to the total partiality of your nominated ref/umpire and to the premeditated taking out of Irelands best players. Thats why, thank God , we will be having nothing more to do with the losiest sportsmen on earth.

yeah, but none of that actually happened. Pearce is hardly an enforcer, and if anything the worst decision was not red carding the irishman for that knee in the back thing that set off the worst bit of brawling.

Its just an excuse for the GAA to extricate themselves from a series in which they are not competitive in anymore with a semblence of dignity.

Well beat me with a ten foot pole , there was actually some sort of game and here i was thinking it was a bi-ennial junket where Vlad and his underlings went to Ireland for a few weeks boozing and racing on an afl funded footy trip and it was really an international , donkey arsed hybrid series . And to think i missed out on even seeing it , oh dear , nevermind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back