Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

bugger state of origin. its had its day and now its dead. our club comp is too strong, which is why the concept works well in rugby league, where most people I talk to seem to prefer to win that then their club teams to take out the premiership.

Lads, thanks for destroying what was once a relatively enjoyable game. The Irish have nothing against physical aspects of a game. But when your opponents persist on hauling you to the ground, pulling your shirt over your head and punching the 'blind' man, sport leaves the arena and you just have glorified bar room thuggery. The Irish responded in kind to what Australia obviously set out to do, but, not being professionally conditioned athletes, they were always going to come out second best when the Aussies got what they wanted - an all-out brawl. If the Irish refused to engage, they'd have been hammered such was the lack of protection from the refs. Realistically, if you strike, you should see the red card. Striking is a weakness in a field game. It has nothing to do with 'football'. The Irish are used to letting their skill do the talking as the Irish game is based on exactly that - skill. Fast hands, fast feet. Fielding the ball and turning all in the one move. No 'marks' as that slows the game etc etc. Someone posted a ridiculous 'rules of engagement'. Sorry lad but that's not part of our sport.

Some enjoyable games over the years, with some interesting physical clashes. I remember Australia winning a fabulous series in Ireland in 2002 by 6 points overall, highlighted with some great passages of play and the odd one-on-one skirmish, settled manfully. But when the physicality was used to gain the upper hand and became a weapon of intimidation whereby key players were 'taken out', sportsmanship and the series died.

Lads, thanks for destroying what was once a relatively enjoyable game. The Irish have nothing against physical aspects of a game. But when your opponents persist on hauling you to the ground, pulling your shirt over your head and punching the 'blind' man, sport leaves the arena and you just have glorified bar room thuggery. The Irish responded in kind to what Australia obviously set out to do, but, not being professionally conditioned athletes, they were always going to come out second best when the Aussies got what they wanted - an all-out brawl. If the Irish refused to engage, they'd have been hammered such was the lack of protection from the refs. Realistically, if you strike, you should see the red card. Striking is a weakness in a field game. It has nothing to do with 'football'. The Irish are used to letting their skill do the talking as the Irish game is based on exactly that - skill. Fast hands, fast feet. Fielding the ball and turning all in the one move. No 'marks' as that slows the game etc etc. Someone posted a ridiculous 'rules of engagement'. Sorry lad but that's not part of our sport.

Some enjoyable games over the years, with some interesting physical clashes. I remember Australia winning a fabulous series in Ireland in 2002 by 6 points overall, highlighted with some great passages of play and the odd one-on-one skirmish, settled manfully. But when the physicality was used to gain the upper hand and became a weapon of intimidation whereby key players were 'taken out', sportsmanship and the series died.

cry me a river.....:rolleyes:

Your comments merely prove how right it is to end the series. You are totally blind to what actually went on yesterday - to the total partiality of your nominated ref/umpire and to the premeditated taking out of Irelands best players. Thats why, thank God , we will be having nothing more to do with the losiest sportsmen on earth.

Go and watch it again ..and this time have an impartial observer with you ..It sounds like you and your coach, captain, and president are representative of your typical Irish poor loser . both teams were to blame for any physicallity ...with the Irish mostly responsible for using their knees and legs to attack plaers from behind ..a very cowardly act that would never ever be tolerated in Aussie rules . I also think the series is finished ..simply because we chose to play a country of very very poor sportsmen and the biggest whingers in the world ..yup even worse than the English .
So until you and your countrymen grow some balls and toughen up then we should look elsewhere for a contest ...because admit it, the real reason your lot are crying foul is because you got a hiding in the fight department and got totally annihilated in the footy aspect of it ...The Aussies totally smashed you at your own bloody game . how embarrassing to be an Irishman nowdays

So head butting and kicks are part of your bunch of sooks?

Lads, thanks for destroying what was once a relatively enjoyable game. The Irish have nothing against physical aspects of a game. But when your opponents persist on hauling you to the ground, pulling your shirt over your head and punching the 'blind' man, sport leaves the arena and you just have glorified bar room thuggery. The Irish responded in kind to what Australia obviously set out to do, but, not being professionally conditioned athletes, they were always going to come out second best when the Aussies got what they wanted - an all-out brawl. If the Irish refused to engage, they'd have been hammered such was the lack of protection from the refs.

So again, it is one sided. Any disgust on your part about headbutts, dropping the knees into a players head ........ anything at all. Or is that okay because you perceive you were just playing the game the Aussies started with a bit of push and show early on?

Honestly, why are so many Irish coming out saying that they did nothing wrong and not even addressing the unsavoury incidents the Irish participated in. How can you find common ground from there? Until every incident is looked upon one by one, it all looks like baseless rhetoric.

I forgot to add congratulations. Australia were better at passing, shooting, fielding, tackling, riding tackles, movement and support play, this year.

...as for the 'headbutt' (sing) and the 'knee-drop' (sing), yes, that's wrong. But when you dance with the devil it brings out the worst in you.

So I take it you condone the headbutts and knees to heads that you guys were dishuing out but were just against the melees tahat we were involved in.

The tact that the irish are apparent sore losers is good news for those of us that want state of origin back.

Striking is a weakness in a field game. It has nothing to do with 'football'. The Irish are used to letting their skill do the talking as the Irish game is based on exactly that - skill. Fast hands, fast feet. Fielding the ball and turning all in the one move. No 'marks' as that slows the game etc etc. Someone posted a ridiculous 'rules of engagement'. Sorry lad but that's not part of our sport.

How about headbutting and kneeing players in the back ..is that ok in YOUR sport ?? because that is what your players did in both games .

and judging by your post you seem to think the game should be centred around YOUR rules ..well it's a hybrid game remember and so to compensate for playing with a round English soccer ball tackling and marking was allowed...so it is not YOUR game it is our game .

try a series using an oval ball and no marking or tackling ..and your team wouldn't even score .

All the biggest brawls happened after an Aussie was smashed. Lappin and Brown were kneed and kicked while doing nothing other than going for the ball. In Australia those sort of gutless acts always leads to teammates flying the flag. But these GAA officials are completely blind to what actually happened in that game if they believe only one team was responsible. The "targetting" issue is simply false.

Funnily enough there were a lot of shots in the Irish media of Ryan O'Keefe pushing his forearm into his opponent's face and this seemed on a lot of sites to be a poster for the "Aussie brutality". But when you watch the footage the camera moves around to reveal his bloodied nose from a gutless headbutt which the Irish coverage never chose to show the public. :rolleyes:

The Pearce tackle was another case in point. It was a great tackle, and an unlucky landing for the Irishman. One of the Irish boys laid on a huge tackle later in the game and everyone in Croke park cheered. The Aussie (can't remember who it was) just shook it off and went on with it. But whenever an Irish lad was tackled he couldn't accept it and a slappy fight and a wrestle started after almost every completed tackle we made. Therein lies a story.

I've watched the IR series most years. And enjoy it for what it is. But I winced in the early minutes of game two. But I wasn't disappointed because the violence from Australia was over the top. I was wincing because I knew how badly some of the minnnows in the Irish administration and in the Irish press were going to be squealing.

Message to Dublin: this bleating has become embarrassing. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in the slightest. I wouldn't want to see anything changed. What the Irish gain in the round ball is compensated with the Aussie's familiarity with the mark and the tackle. However, professionally conditioned athletes surely must feel a little embarrassed when they pin amateur sportsmen to the ground and puch them until spotted by officials. As McGeeney said, if you want to box toe-to-toe, just say it.

If that sounds like sour grapes, well I can't help change your perception. Just one thing though - I watch plenty of Aussie Rules. I never see that level of violence from the Aussies. IR is like a candy shop for them. Lets show how strong we are, and get away with it.

...headbutts, dropping the knees into a players head ....
Headbutts ? dropping the knees into a players head ? I saw none of that shown. The "headbutt" wasn't shown, all you have is Quartermain's commentary and judging from the timing of it, I'd say he didn't see it either. You have no idea of the circumstances where O'Keefe got his bloodied nose. Quartermain got hysterical about the Irish defender landing on the back of the Australian forward in the first quarter, and called it a knee in the back, not the head. If you look at the vision, it's not clear what part fo the defender hit the back of the forward but landing on the back after a marking contest or spoil is de rigeur in Australian Football.

Your comments merely prove how right it is to end the series. You are totally blind to what actually went on yesterday - to the total partiality of your nominated ref/umpire and to the premeditated taking out of Irelands best players. Thats why, thank God , we will be having nothing more to do with the losiest sportsmen on earth.
I like the IR series, I also like Gaelic football. I'm capable of seeing things with an open mind. You appear however to be blind to a number of unsavoury actions by the Irish players. Any comment on how Ryan O'Keeffe came to have a blood nose for instance?

But when you watch the footage the camera moves around to reveal his bloodied nose from a gutless headbutt which the Irish coverage never chose to show the public.

Could you please forward your amazing coverage of this incident. Where did you get it?

...as for the 'headbutt' (sing) and the 'knee-drop' (sing), yes, that's wrong. But when you dance with the devil it brings out the worst in you.

Bwwwwaaaagghghhhahhahhahahahahaaa

...."those dirty rotten Aussies made me do it"...........:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"dance with the devil".............I've never heard so much nonsense.

The thing that makes elite players "elite" is the fact that they hate losing. Whatever goes off in an athlete's head that makes them want to win at all costs is what sets them apart and makes them successful whether you're a sprinter, a footy player, a ping pong player, or a curler or hurler.

A bastardised form of the game has been invented - mostly it's played to what are very confusing and restrictive rules........some choose to push the boundaries - and are dealt with.

It's naive to suggest that the same things that push buttons in the heads of the Aussie Rules players don't do the same in Gaelic footballers.

Sure - debate whether it's right or wrong but blaming someone else for your own actions is plain pathetic.

Headbutts ?

You have no idea of the circumstances where O'Keefe got his bloodied nose.

I take it your no good at lip reading ? ..... perhaps O'Keefe punched himself ?

If that sounds like sour grapes, well I can't help change your perception. Just one thing though - I watch plenty of Aussie Rules. I never see that level of violence from the Aussies. IR is like a candy shop for them. Lets show how strong we are, and get away with it.

so that just tells me violence occurs only when the Irish are involved.....the might be something in that......

You don't understand irony, Mad Dog. My nonsensical answer reflected the nonsensical question. All of a sudden there were 'headbutts' galore and 'knees' a-plenty when, well, no one can back this up.

I like the IR series, ....Any comment on how Ryan O'Keeffe came to have a blood nose for instance?
Me too. How can Coyler comment upon the so called head butt when nobody's seen it ? It wasn't shown, you've only Quartermain's commentary and I doubt he saw it either. It was clear that the Irish players stood up to the Australians and gave back what they got, if that's what you mean by unsavoury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back