Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Geraghty gathered the ball and was running laterally across the ground, away from the camera. Pearce came at him from the direction of the Australian goal, from Geraghty's right. It looks like he had momentum up because he appears out of the right hand side of the screen running at high speed. It also looks like he had Geraghty in his sights for quite a few paces before he reached him. Pearce's tackle was from the side rather than the back. His first contact was with his hands to Geraghty's right side. His contact caused the ball to come loose from Geraghty's grip although it looks like Pearce couldn't see the ball come loose because he slid across behind Geraghty's back, changed his grip to clasp Geraghty around the torso, both arms pinned and then used his momentum to sling Geraghty to the ground finishing up by falling over the upper body of Geraghty, his elbow across Geraghty's face. Whether there was malice or not is opinion only. The tackle was well organised. If he had been properly instructed in what is acceptable in International Rules, he had plenty of time to ensure that his tackle conformed. The sling was not only unneccessary but he should have been instructed and trained not to apply it. Either he wasn't instructed, in which case Sheedy and Stynes have plenty to answer for, or he was, in which case he has a lot to answer for. Then again, no penalty was awarded against him.

Maybe netball is more your style ..as men playing football seems to terrify you

To a man, Irish visitors to this site make exactly that point about the behaviour of the AFL players.

I think thats a fair and valid point... I play GAA and AFL and watch a lot of both on tv. I think that the IR rules series doesn't demostrate the the passion, skill and commitment of either sport.

Both sports are great to play, massively entertaining when the elite are playing and totally unique in Australia and Ireland. I think that everyone here should agree that the IR series does nothing for the AFL or GAA apart from giving the officials a holiday every two years. I've no problem in saying that when I play a good game of AFL I think there is no better sport in the world - however when I play a good game of GAA I think the same... I'm glad there is no 'shirt-fronting' or 'Biffs' in our AFL league in Ireland as it would take away from the skill of the game. The joy of a pack mark is comparable to turning a man inside out in GAA and slotting a point...

Individually they are great sports - combined or compromised they can't ever work !

Go Swans !
Go Kerry !

I think that the IR rules series doesn't demostrate the the passion, skill and commitment of either sport.

Both sports are great to play,
International Rules has to develop its own culture. It has to be seen as sport in its own right. These threads illustrate that AFL supporters see it as if it is Australian Rules, GAA supporters see it as Gaelic football. Ironically there is greater physicality in International Rules than there is in Australian Football. That's the key to the disputes.

Ironically there is greater physicality in International Rules than there is in Australian Football. That's the key to the disputes.

I disagree. Perhaps more than in the AFL, but not more than any amateur game of Australian football. In the AFL physicality is regulated and acted upon by the AFL.

In amateur games, nobody sees what happens behind play.

In the IR, it really has no bearing on anything, therefore players cannot really be put through a tribunal. Just FYI, if there was an AFL tribunal system in place for the IR, one or two of the Australians may have got one or two weeks suspension, but your coach and captain would have been fined astronomical amounts for bringing the game into direpute. Rubbishing the umpiring is seen as a much worse offense than putting someone in a sling tackle. Also, kneeing people in the back is just about punishable by death.

International Rules has to develop its own culture. It has to be seen as sport in its own right. These threads illustrate that AFL supporters see it as if it is Australian Rules, GAA supporters see it as Gaelic football. Ironically there is greater physicality in International Rules than there is in Australian Football. That's the key to the disputes.

Biggest load of horse******** I have read.

Funny thing is that the Irish papers are full of the violence in GAA games over the past couple of months - refs being punched up, matches being abandoned, mass punch-ups, hospitalisations etc.

Ah, to be sure, but they are just poor wee amateur lads who need to work the next day and would never go out to hurt each other - intimidation and taking out opposition players is just something those nasty thuggish AFL players do..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded bit is close to the most ridiculous comment you've made in this thread.

In the IR, it really has no bearing on anything, therefore players cannot really be put through a tribunal..

Which is why there is a greater level of violence in International Rules than there is in Australian Rules, why AFL players will continue to act with greater degrees of violence than they do in their club matches.

Which is why there is a greater level of violence in International Rules than there is in Australian Rules, why AFL players will continue to act with greater degrees of violence than they do in their club matches.

Also, players are more likely to turn around and get stuck into some dirty little prick that knees them or their team mate in the back when they are representing their country.

Also, players are more likely to turn around and get stuck into some dirty little prick that knees them or their team mate in the back when they are representing their country.
If you mean O'Mahoney, three players came at him with as weak a shoulder bump as you'll see. Davey was one, I can't recall who the other two were. He out bumped the three of them. AFL players are at their toughest when attacking from behind or in numbers.

If you mean O'Mahoney, three players came at him with as weak a shoulder bump as you'll see. Davey was one, I can't recall who the other two were. He out bumped the three of them. AFL players are at their toughest when attacking from behind or in numbers.

Theres a bump and then theres a bump. When players are jostling, a bump means, "hey buddy, I'm tougher than u, back the ******** up." Ask Byron Pickett what a real hip and shoulder is.

Theres a bump and then theres a bump. When players are jostling, a bump means, "hey buddy, I'm tougher than u, back the ******** up." Ask Byron Pickett what a real hip and shoulder is.
Byron Pickett's bumps invariably come when the victim has his head over the ball and doesn't know he's coming.

Re: The end of Intl Rules?

I think the GAA are now going to pull the plug on this concept and that 2007 in Oz will be its swansong. They seem to have taken it very badly again.

Anyone agree?

Who really cares. It is just a jaunt for Dimwit and his mates.:thumbsdown:

If memory serves me correctly, Biglands was the initiator i.e. it was Bigland's bump, not Pickett's.
Did you even see it? :p

The point I was making was in response to your suggestion that all Picketts bumps are cheap shots. They are not and he will take on a player regardless of the circumstances. Believe me most of the time Pickett's opponents are well aware that he is in the area. In addition Pickett is quite prepared to go after the football when there's a risk of being hit himself.

In the case of the Biglands incident Rhett thought he'd put on a shepherd and went to initiate contact. Byron obliged him with a great bump which left Biglands on the turf gasping like a great useless blowfly. The main point here being that Biggles did not have his head over the ball, is much bigger than Pickett and yet Byron was happy to take him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back