Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with you except thats not what McGeeney is talking about. I won't comment about Boylan because what he said was extremely out of character and i'm sure it was just spur of the moment.

What McGeeney is complaining about is the all-out fights that occurred. Now i know the Irish were just as guilty as the Aussies if not more so. I remember seeing Barry Hall getting punched when he was doing nothing but trying to stop a fight.

The problem is that what is outrageous behaviour to us, is OK to you, what is outrageous behaviour to you is OK to us.

We have vastly differing opinions of what is "crossing the line".

Its perfectly correct to say that what happened during the 2nd test does not occur in AFL or in Gaelic Football, at least its extremely rare.

Its also perfectly correct to say what happened should NOT have happened. I would blame both teams equally but i would also put a much higher level of blame of the referees/umpires. I remember at once stage BOTH referees were watching Stephen Mcdonald and Ryan O'Keefe throwing punches at eachother for nearly a full minute and did not even flash a yellow card in the end.

I want the series to continue and i think you'll find all the players do too, i don't want the rules to change anymore, what i do want is the rules that are there to be implemented properly and maybe some higher penalties for the offenders. Bring a ban into their own games perhaps.

If you look at the rulebook and if the referees/umpires followed it to the letter that 2nd test would have ended up being 5 a side in the end. BUT if they had implemented the rules from the start (At least 2 Irishmen and 2 Aussies should have being red carded in the first 5-10 minutes) then both sides would have copped on and cooled down.

Good post premier. Normally I don't like red cards (or send offs) because that usually kills the match then and there. We saw Barry Hall get yellow carded when the Irish guy tripped over himself so I don't know if I want the umpires having that much control over a game. Maybe if there was a third umpire (ie a video umpire) that could review it and make a proper assessment. I would be more in favour of that to minimise collosal blunders.

Oh and ********nut here's a link to one of the worlds biggest whingers and his team.

You probably know him, called Ricky Ponting, had a pretty good whinge last year during the Ashes when Oz got beaten :thumbsu:

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/217514.html

You weak prick.

You whinge about sportsmanship and the spirit of the game, and then you criticise Ponting for that?

The use of the substitute fielder by England was a ********ing disgrace, if you guys ever actually had any pride in yourselves, you'd be ashamed by it.

I don't know what all the fuss is about, personally I'm glad the IR series has come to a halt.
I agree lets stop this madness.Our game will never be international, so lets get back to state of origin.Their are kids playing in different states and would give their eye teeth to represent their own.

If you'd followed the Kennelly story even though he's still got quite a few good years of AFL in him he's already wanting to go back to Ireland so he can play for Kerry and win an All Ireland.

Which is why this year he signed a three year deal to stay in Australia playing for the Swans even when his father died and his family desperately wanted him to go home

You weak prick.

You whinge about sportsmanship and the spirit of the game, and then you criticise Ponting for that?

The use of the substitute fielder by England was a ********ing disgrace, if you guys ever actually had any pride in yourselves, you'd be ashamed by it.

You obviously haven't read anything ive posted, i never said anything the Irish did was in the spirit of the game.

I'm merely pointing out that Australians are as big a whingers and sooks as anyone on the planet.

The use of a sub fielder by England was within the rules, Ponting was whinging because he was losing,

You obviously haven't read anything ive posted, i never said anything the Irish did was in the spirit of the game.

I'm merely pointing out that Australians are as big a whingers and sooks as anyone on the planet.

The use of a sub fielder by England was within the rules, Ponting was whinging because he was losing,

It's exploiting the rules in a manner it wasn't designed for.

And I'm talking about the people saying the Australians displayed poor sportsmanship.

It's exploiting the rules in a manner it wasn't designed for.

And I'm talking about the people saying the Australians displayed poor sportsmanship.

Well sledging is poor sportsmanship, and they sure have some motormouths.

Look at the reaction when Gilchrist walked that time, he was abused for being a good sportsman :thumbsdown:

Well sledging is poor sportsmanship, and they sure have some motormouths.

Look at the reaction when Gilchrist walked that time, he was abused for being a good sportsman :thumbsdown:

He was? By who?

He was almost universally applauded for his actions, even though most of us thought it was silly.

Every team sledges, but, like this IR test shows, people only complain about the winning team, because no one gives a ******** about the losers.

Not yet, time will tell.

Brisbane had two young irish, one stayed the other went home.

Why did he go home? Was it because he couldn't cut it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that was all he was complaining about, and as you've correctly observed, melees generally take two to tango, then what exactly is this "outrageous behaviour" that "crossed the line" you're referring to? Throwing of punches (jumper punches excepted) are a rarity in AFL matches, simply because it was and is deemed to be outrageous behaviour and attracts long suspensions that professional clubs could ill afford their high priced players receiving.

Can you be bit more specific?

I can't unfortunately because i wasn't out there. Only the players themselves know why they thought the line was crossed.

Maybe one example i could give is the "pushing the head into the ground after the tackle". That seems WAY over the top to me and other gaelic football people until someone explained why they do it in AR.

Basically to you guys thats fine, to us its crossing the line.

I can't unfortunately because i wasn't out there. Only the players themselves know why they thought the line was crossed.

Maybe one example i could give is the "pushing the head into the ground after the tackle". That seems WAY over the top to me and other gaelic football people until someone explained why they do it in AR.

Basically to you guys thats fine, to us its crossing the line.

I honestly think that's part of it, the misunderstanding of what each side considers normal.

In Australia, that's fine, but it seems that the Irish (and I'm not being a smartarse here) react very easily to straight up agression, but have no problem with little niggles behind play.

I honestly think that's part of it, the misunderstanding of what each side considers normal.

In Australia, that's fine, but it seems that the Irish (and I'm not being a smartarse here) react very easily to straight up agression, but have no problem with little niggles behind play.

I complete absolutely agree, that IS the whole problem.

Gaelic football is only a semi-contact sport, AR is a full contact sport.

I believe if the rules were followed stringently there would be none of this ********e going on.

Unless we (Irish) seriously pick up our gameplan we are still going to get hammered on the scoreboard though.

I do think that some of the incidents if done during the AFL season would lead to suspensions ans probably lengthy ones too. There were some legitimate tackles that the Irish couldn't handle, but the Aussies went to far because there is no accountability in the game. I think some solutions like if a player is red carded then the team is one player down for either the rest if the match or for a period like 30 minutes. Maybe misdemeanors could be subject to each codes tribunal systems. That means a reckless head high tackle like the johnson one in 2005 would lead to 3-4 weeks suspension in the AFL season and loss of Brownlow Contention and maybe a fine thrown in for good measure.

If the players know they have no accountibility in their actions, then it is open slather. The Irish were just as bad in some ways but I guess they are a little more precious about it than us because they play a no contact sport and we do.

He was? By who?

He was almost universally applauded for his actions, even though most of us thought it was silly.

Every team sledges, but, like this IR test shows, people only complain about the winning team, because no one gives a ******** about the losers.

Why did he go home? Was it because he couldn't cut it?

That right, thats why when ponting whinged last ashes it was because he was the loser an nobody cared.

He went home because he prefered to be playing Gaelic with his mates.

No reason to see why he couldnt have made it.

Nicky Brennan, President of the GAA has just been interviewed on Irish Radio main news programme. He said that the scenes seen yesterday were a disgrace and that one side and one side only were responsible. He said the series is hanging by the slimest of treads and was asked directly did he feel the series was over. He said that there were procedures to go through but that his personal view and that of other leading GAA figures were that it was over.

Brennan played Hurling to the highest level and is no 'soft' man so when he says its over - its over.

Having long been a supporter of IR after yesterday I have to argee with him.
Our concepts of what is sporting and fairplay are just too far apart.

This is bulls**t.

The reason the game denegrated into what it did was a direct result of the Irish tribunal not doing their job and handing out a suspension to the Irish player. There was an article in the newspapers here the retribution would be dished out. The tribunal would have known this before they sat, and yet took no action. The Irish players are no saints either, they gave what they got and that's what the fans went to see.

This is just a beat-up. The Irish sook after every series coz the big bad Aussies are to rough. What a girlie country you live in.

This is bulls**t.

The reason the game denegrated into what it did was a direct result of the Irish tribunal not doing their job and handing out a suspension to the Irish player. There was an article in the newspapers here the retribution would be dished out. The tribunal would have known this before they sat, and yet took no action. The Irish players are no saints either, they gave what they got and that's what the fans went to see.

This is just a beat-up. The Irish sook after every series coz the big bad Aussies are to rough. What a girlie country you live in.

Oh piss off will you, i'm sick of listening to that ********e. We were more then equal to the physicality that the Aussies dished out and equally as guilty. Obviously you didn't watch the game.

The Aussies have shown we can thrash the paddy's at their pathetic game, let them cry off and whinge and whine with their victim mentality and scrap the travesty of a game.

It is embarrassing with Australia rich history of winning over 100 Olympic gold medals and countless world championships from Hockey to Rugby to cricket and hundreds of other actual sports we have to play such a pygmy sporting nation and then to top it off have them lie and BS when their gutless cowardly players put kness into our players backs, and kicked Brown out of the game when he was on the ground.

Prefer this game was scrapped for ever so we dont have to listen to the whining and crying of the Irish girlies. Start the fight and cant end it :rolleyes: Have lost any respect I had for them as sportsmen after their incredible tantrum after getting hammered.

I can see why they have been the Britishes b!tches for hundreds of years. Makes me ashamed of my Irish heritage.

That right, thats why when ponting whinged last ashes it was because he was the loser an nobody cared.

He went home because he prefered to be playing Gaelic with his mates.

No reason to see why he couldnt have made it.

So how many games did he play for Brisbane, and what contract was he offered to keep him at Brisbane?

Then why are you complaining?

Lay off Premier. Of all the Irish fans to have their two-bobs worth, he/she (I'm not sure, sorry :)) has been remarkably fair and honest in his (her?) assessment of the game. For the most part, I am inclined to agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Message to OZ- IR is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back