MFC Newbies Thread - Don't be Shy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello Fellow Troopers,

Long time reader of this forum first time writer (to any forum)!

Looking forward to cruising the with you all to the ultimate dream which I am predicting will come in 2015. Been a passionate demons supporter for 30 years and my favorite player will forever be Stephen Tingay, most excited MFC player: Allan Jackovich, MFC Hero: David Neitz and Davis Schwartz in 1994 and when he was wearing the white headband. I have some good sauces to information, but it doesn't always come in frequently, however I look forwarded to spreading with you and receiving all the hidden truths.

Straight up, I just recently learnt that the new coaching group had the financial backing from the board to take the entire list to Arizona during the current preseason but the final decision had to come from the players themselves in a vote. For whatever reason it was the players that voted against the trip and my only conclusion was something related to the EBA. - Source: close friend of Brian Royal.

Therefore Neil Craig is already scoping plans for a high altitude training camp for next preseason to present to the club and the players. Bit concerning to hear the players weren't up for the challenging trip, but then again I don't know much about the day and life of an AFL player and their already contacted commitments away from the football track.

Neeld in the early days of his new posting said "that it takes a good 12 -18 months to plan one of those trips & he has no intention of doing it unless it is organised properly, so the players will actually get some benefit from the exercise rather than just a trip away together"...

I don't believe it was the players who made that decision for him...

Welcome to the site by the way Quack...

Quite a few new posters who joined either late 2011 or early this year.

Would be good to hear from you in this thread just to tell us a bit about yourself.

Hello all,

American here. About two years ago I was reading the wikipedia entry on football, and was quite happy to find out about several sports I had no idea even existed - one of which was Aussie Rules Football. Since that day I've been trying to get into the various football codes, to see what makes them different, special, etc.

So yea, seeing as how the AFL is the premier competition for Aussie Rules Football, figures that I should get into it!

But since I have no real connection to Australia, picking a team to follow has proven to be a bit of hindrance in really getting to know about Aussie Rules. (Well that and living across the country.)

But I've decided that this year I'm going to make the full plunge and watch as many games from one team as I can. I've picked the Demons for a few reasons:

1. Young, upstart team. It is always rewarding to follow a team from lowly aspirations as they build and get better and become contenders.

2. Haven't won in a (good long) while. No bandwagon accusations here!

3. History. Always good to have. Something to delve into.

4. Colors. Red and blue, hard to go wrong here.

5. Demons! Awesome team name. Demons.

Looking forward to watching this upcoming season!

Welcome fillmont! I must say that's a unique story, but welcome aboard! Any idea how easy/hard it is to find AFL games on TV in the States?

ESPN/ESPN2 still shows a few games a year (like, 4?) and the Grand Final, but coverage is pretty sparse.

Pretty sure ESPN3 (the online "channel") has more games though, but my current internet provider isn't partnered up with ESPN, so no ESPN3 for me.

Of course, there are more, ahem, nefarious means of getting games for us poor AFL-less Americans.

My main hindrance now is not knowing enough about the strategy of the games, but that's something that only watching can fix.

I have learned that one doesn't root for teams in Australia, which is one of the most important things I've learned. :thumbsu:

Fillmont - welcome on board. I hereby dub thee the President of the Dallas-based Melbourne Demons. It will be good to hear from you during the year. I am a big fan of the Packers - in that dimension at least, I have been to the mountaintop.

Fillmont - welcome on board. I hereby dub thee the President of the Dallas-based Melbourne Demons. It will be good to hear from you during the year. I am a big fan of the Packers - in that dimension at least, I have been to the mountaintop.

And the Packers won most recently in Dallas! This is kismet, right here.

Have been lurking the boards on occasion, hoping to glean knowledge. I'm sure once the season starts up I'll be more active, asking stupid questions and the like.

And the Packers won most recently in Dallas! This is kismet, right here.

Have been lurking the boards on occasion, hoping to glean knowledge. I'm sure once the season starts up I'll be more active, asking stupid questions and the like.

Normally the anonymous folk of the interwebz are harsh on stupid questions, but we'll of course answer them properly for you.

I'm not exactly new, as you can see that I joined a couple of years ago, but I don't post often so I felt it necessary to post on this board. I've been going for Melbourne all my life (only 18 years), but love them more than just about anything in the world. The feeling of watching them run out on the MCG on a sunny Melbourne afternoon is what I look forward to every week. I usually come on BigFooty, like others, just see everyone's opinion on footy matters. That basically sums me up, pretty boring I know.

Anyway, Go Dees 2012.

Jack Grimes <3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi. Just joined BigFooty. Have been a Dees supporter since I was seven. Been through the ups and the downs. What a roller coaster. A few years ago some smart a..'s were even saying MFC was finished. Imagine that. Didnt happen. Never will. No way. And look at the club now. Bright future. Gr8 list. New coach. Thanks Stynesey, you legend. Go Dees!

Hello all,

American here. About two years ago I was reading the wikipedia entry on football, and was quite happy to find out about several sports I had no idea even existed - one of which was Aussie Rules Football.......

.......But I've decided that this year I'm going to make the full plunge and watch as many games from one team as I can. I've picked the Demons for a few reasons:

1. Young, upstart team. It is always rewarding to follow a team from lowly aspirations as they build and get better and become contenders.

2. Haven't won in a (good long) while. No bandwagon accusations here!

3. History. Always good to have. Something to delve into.

4. Colors. Red and blue, hard to go wrong here.

5. Demons! Awesome team name. Demons.

Looking forward to watching this upcoming season!

Hi there Fill. Welcome to the roller coaster. Well that's what its been like over here the past few years being a Demons (Dees) supporter. As you prolly know, the AFL covers the country nowadays and the maddest fans are in Melbourne. In fact, Melbourne is the sport capital of Australia. Looking 4ward to talking AFL wit ya.
So who should I follow in the Major League?

Hi there Fill. Welcome to the roller coaster. Well that's what its been like over here the past few years being a Demons (Dees) supporter. As you prolly know, the AFL covers the country nowadays and the maddest fans are in Melbourne. In fact, Melbourne is the sport capital of Australia. Looking 4ward to talking AFL wit ya.
So who should I follow in the Major League?

Roller Coasters are what it's all about. The highs feel all the more exhilarating when you've been at the bottom. Hopefully we have some mighty high highs this year!

Are you asking who you should follow in Major League Baseball?

Are you asking who you should follow in Major League Baseball?[/QUOTE]
Yup. Been watching some of the games and I like the red socks.
And...Dees had a nice win today. Its a moral boost now that were making the climb upward

Are you asking who you should follow in Major League Baseball?

Yup. I quite like the red socks. And...Dees had a win last night. Its only the NAB cup but its a confidence boost to whoop the 2nd top team when yur making your way back up top

hey guys,

new here. have read these forums on and off for a while and thought i would join to help my withdrawals from missing most games live considering ive just moved to london and plan on being here for a year or two.

ive put my name down for the melb footy tipping comp, also interested in the player sponsorship and a dream team league if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

cheers

hey guys,

new here. have read these forums on and off for a while and thought i would join to help my withdrawals from missing most games live considering ive just moved to london and plan on being here for a year or two.

ive put my name down for the melb footy tipping comp, also interested in the player sponsorship and a dream team league if anyone can help point me in the right direction.

cheers
Welcome Brick,

Go here to say how much you'd like to tip in:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=908841

Go here to learn about the sponsorship:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=914071

Re the tipping I'll send you a link.

The DT, SC & tipping threads are on the Melbourne Demons board page, just look through the list of threads.

And Brick you cannot be with us, presumably, on J-Day at the 'G when we play GWS and that little runty Judas but I invite you to walk around London with a balaclava on as a sign of solidarity !!!

Yup. I quite like the red socks. And...Dees had a win last night. Its only the NAB cup but its a confidence boost to whoop the 2nd top team when yur making your way back up top

Well, to be honest I don't really watch much baseball, but if I had to suggest a side, I'll just be a homer and say the Rangers. They've also won two AL pennants in a row! Exciting new stud Japanese pitcher! Rangers oh yeah.

Remove this Banner Ad

MFC Newbies Thread - Don't be Shy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back