Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

the first walk he did to camberra to talk to John Howard and then did one again in december. 10000 people did the walk in december so there were obviously people that supported him i was one of them. he his doing whatever it take to help and bring on a change for his peole.

collingwood4eva said:
he did first did the walk to camberra to talk to John Howard and then did one again in december.10000 people did the walk in december so there were obviously people that supported him i was one of them. he his doing whatever it take to help and bring on a change for his peole.

Aren't we all the same people?

im talking about indigenous australians. and yes we are all australian and are all people and thats the aim for the long walk to bring on a change. what he said on the day aNd was on the t-shirts and on the long walk site was "THIS ISN'T ABOUT INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIA AND WHITE AUSTRALIA-THIS IS ABOUT ALL AUSTRALIA"

collingwood4eva said:
im talking about indigenous australians. and yes we are all australian and are all people and thats the aim for the long walk to bring on a change. what he said on the day aNd was on the t-shirts and on the long walk site was "THIS ISN'T ABOUT INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIA AND WHITE AUSTRALIA-THIS IS ABOUT ALL AUSTRALIA"

Yeah but he distinguishes people by their race. Isn't that racism of a sort ? Or is it only called Racism if you say bad things ?

I'm not trying to be a smartass - it's something that has always confused me.

For such a great bloke did some dirty things on the footy field.

Sheedy did his profile no harm by pumping him up at every opportunity.

However it is good to see he is putting something back into footy.

jlc

Chewy said:
Yeah but he distinguishes people by their race. Isn't that racism of a sort ? Or is it only called Racism if you say bad things ?

yeah i guess its a kinda of hard one because it is distinguishing them by the race.. but then if they were treated equally michael long wouldnt be having the event.. i get where ur coming from and im not quiet sure how to answer it but like as he said in the speach on the day its about all australia and everyone has to work together to reslove it all

Years ago when i was still living at home with my parents, we had a aboriginal kid come and stay with us. I remember vividly one day when i asked him what he wanted to do and he said to me '******** off you Whitec**t. :D :D :D

Michael Long doesn't have to use his football and his skin colour and race to help anyone. But he is. I admire him for being non self righteous about it all.

I went on the last walk at Princes Park - great day, although i cheated and cut through the park lol. Okay, my company was a sponsor of the event, and had lots of dealings with his people who put it together. But i would have gone anyway because is somethiing i believe in - not saying sorry or any of that, but just that they can expect to receive the same things we take for granted - education, health etc.

I've met Michael about three times now - he's not extroverted in any way, but very committed to what he's doing. He's having a go which is all that matters, 'cos if you left it up to this government, heaven help 'em.

:thumbsu:

bulldogrob said:
I must agree to a extent that he seperates races and skin colour.

yeah i know.. but dunt we all but like it happens every where people are like separated by there race and colour .. its realli heard to explain... but becase of the sitution he has 2 refer to the race to a extent because they are being treated differently. i reallY encourage people to go to this year one if there is one which im sure there is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

froars said:
I went on the last walk at Princes Park - great day, although i cheated and cut through the park lol. Okay, my company was a sponsor of the event, and had lots of dealings with his people who put it together. But i would have gone anyway because is somethiing i believe in - not saying sorry or any of that, but just that they can expect to receive the same things we take for granted - education, health etc.

I've met Michael about three times now - he's not extroverted in any way, but very committed to what he's doing. He's having a go which is all that matters, 'cos if you left it up to this government, heaven help 'em.

:thumbsu:

ohh good on you and your company for being a sponsor. wasnt it a fantastic day and the speach were just so toughing it was unbelievable, i think people think that aboriginals just get treated badly but dunt understand that they also are as fortunate us us like u sed education and health wise..

collingwood4eva said:
the first walk he did to camberra to talk to John Howard and then did one again in december. 10000 people did the walk in december so there were obviously people that supported him i was one of them. he his doing whatever it take to help and bring on a change for his peole.

The funny thing about the first walk to Canberra was that he stopped less than half way because he had sore feet.

THAT was funny! A piker to the end.

And him maintaining that he did nothing wrong in the Troy Simmonds incident lowered him from the exalted status as a champion, just like Terry Daniher.

collingwood4eva said:
ohh good on you and your company for being a sponsor. wasnt it a fantastic day and the speach were just so toughing it was unbelievable, i think people think that aboriginals just get treated badly but dunt understand that they also are as fortunate us us like u sed education and health wise..

Hey Joffa..........put you're teeth in!

Typical collingwood supporters grasp of spelling & syntax.

:rolleyes:

Darealrath said:
Ah, Porthos and his "Essendon hype" theory again. Love it.
Don't need a theory, go look at the stats. Long's career is overrated.

Chewy said:

He is recognising there is a problem.
That isn't racism, he isn't contributing to it, all he is doing is creating awareness for an existing issue and trying to unite the people in finding a solution.

Porthos said:
And injury-riddle. I agree he had the potential to be one of the great champions, I personally think he was a great player and near-on champion status. But he cant be called a champion just because he had the potential.

Porthos said:

That stats that say at his peak, uninjured, he was up there with the top players in the competition?

Michael Long is remembered as a footballer that was extremely talented and gifted, as a footballer who had the peak of his career taken from him because of injury, a footballer that played a final series that is rarely seen, a footballer that had a major influence on his club. All of that is justified, no one mentions him with the games greats, no one pretends he is in the Hird, Carey, Ablett, Buckley class. Not many Essendon fans rate him in Sheedy's top 5. But at his best, he was incredible, and as a person he made a massive impact on the club.

Longy413 said:
That stats that say at his peak, uninjured, he was up there with the top players in the competition?

Michael Long is remembered as a footballer that was extremely talented and gifted, as a footballer who had the peak of his career taken from him because of injury, a footballer that played a final series that is rarely seen, a footballer that had a major influence on his club. All of that is justified, no one mentions him with the games greats, no one pretends he is in the Hird, Carey, Ablett, Buckley class. Not many Essendon fans rate him in Sheedy's top 5. But at his best, he was incredible, and as a person he made a massive impact on the club.
I've got no issue with Essendon fans thinking he's a champion. There's a few Port players I'd call champions, but I'd be laughed off the park if I mentioned them.

Simple fact is, Long's career peak neatly coincided with the peak of political correctness, and his stance on aboriginal issues had the PC media slobbering all over him - this happened with Winmar too, really, but he wasn't as vocal. In another era (even this one), Long would just be a club champion, but because of the circumstances of his career he's given the media exposure of an AFL great...and really, he's not.

rick James said:
Matera and Winmar put Long to shame as indigenous players. Not just in talent either, but in sportsmanship.

For me, Long's career will always be ruined by the sickening head high hit on a young Troy Simmonds.

How do you rate Lockett, Ablett and Leigh Matthews ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Long

Remove this Banner Ad

Back