mitch thorp????

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be keen to investigate, and was a tad surprised we didn't make a play for him during trade week. Fits a specific need for us and is young and would have been delighted to have drafted him in 2006. If he can get fit etc then he'd certainly play lots of senior footy

No idea what has led to this delisting - surely more than a skinfold thing.

If Hardwick doesn't want him, then you'd have to doubt he's worth it.

Good news for us, I reckon, as our PSD pick might jag something of note after all. :thumbsu:

so he has come back to training and then delisted.

im guessing here but it sounds like he might not have made his fitness targets over the off season and come back unfit, could have done this due to his so called attitude problem.

clarkson prob cracked it because if he cant even hit a general fitness target over the off season then how can he expect to get to full afl standard fitness on top of all his injuries he has had.

that said a club will take a risk on a 20 year old former pick 6, prob freo as they have taken a couple of them from the past decade!

I reckon there was an attempt to send him to Port in the Burgoyne deal. I'm sure it didn't help that Thorp openly stated he didn't want to leave Melbourne during the whole drafting process. According to some reports, he certainly didn't impress Williams during Draft Camp interviews.

Only my opinion, but it seems the kid might have a few tickets on himself.

That's not true he openly stated that Brisbane was one of his prefered choices, Brisbane is outside of Melbourne. He must have annoyed some highly placed people at the Hawks with his attitude for them to get rid of him.

Only my opinion, but it seems the kid might have a few tickets on himself.

There is no 'might' about it, Thorp knows far too well how good he is/was.

I know players both at Hawthorn, and people who either played with him at school level or played against him and the one thing commonly repeated is the bloke is pretty happy with his ability.

There is nothing wrong with that to a certain extent, but if you aren't backing it up on the track there will be issues. Apparently (i.e. on BigFooty) he was training quite well only a few weeks ago, but there may have been an incident since that was the final straw.

Been a rough trade/delisting period for the hawks. Clarkson is going to have to pull off a minor miracle to balance up the books.

Out
Stuart Dew
Tim Boyle
Robert Campbell
Mark Williams
Ben McGlynn
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Thorp
Tim Walsh
Haydn Kiel

S.Burgoyne
J.Gibson
4 picks above 39

so he has come back to training and then delisted.

im guessing here but it sounds like he might not have made his fitness targets over the off season and come back unfit, could have done this due to his so called attitude problem.

clarkson prob cracked it because if he cant even hit a general fitness target over the off season then how can he expect to get to full afl standard fitness on top of all his injuries he has had.

that said a club will take a risk on a 20 year old former pick 6, prob freo as they have taken a couple of them from the past decade!

I wouldn't think it was fitness related. There's only so much cardio you can do on cruches and then in a moonboot. The bloke was training and was finally 'not injured', so in theory he's probably fitter than he has been for any pre-season.

Been a rough trade/delisting period for the hawks. Clarkson is going to have to pull off a minor miracle to balance up the books.

Out
Stuart Dew
Tim Boyle
Robert Campbell
Mark Williams
Ben McGlynn
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Thorp
Tim Walsh
Haydn Kiel

S.Burgoyne
J.Gibson
4 picks above 39

Only Dew, Campbell and maybe Williams were in the Hawks best 22 - Burgouyne and Gibson more than cover them.

Out
Stuart Dew
Tim Boyle
Robert Campbell
Mark Williams
Ben McGlynn
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Thorp
Tim Walsh
Haydn Kiel

S.Burgoyne
J.Gibson
4 picks above 39

Walsh and Kiel were rookies and we elevated Suckling. That leaves 6 out and Gibson and Burgoyne in. 4 spots to fill. 3 picks in ND, 1 in PSD. + rookies.

unless a club with a good culture picks him up he'll be a two-fail player.

the only places he can succeed will be adelaide, west coast, sydney or maybe at a stretch hawthorn if we re-draft him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out
Stuart Dew
Tim Boyle
Robert Campbell
Mark Williams
Ben McGlynn
Josh Kennedy
Mitch Thorp
Tim Walsh
Haydn Kiel

S.Burgoyne
J.Gibson
4 picks above 39

Campbell, Williams and Kennedy losses I would have rather not had (but 1 injured and the others wanted out). McGlynn is a great worker, sorry to see him go. Boyle and Thorp never got going with injury. Walsh and Kiel rookie list players.

Burgoyne is A grade potential. Fits one of the needs the club had but has the Knee injury over his head. Gibson absolute hits one of the needs we had.

So yes, need to fill some holes but not the end of the world. Still have plenty of talent coming through and probably get a few manture age players in the draft. We still will have one of the younger lists in the league. Would think we would be looking for a return to finals this year and then serious Flag tilt in 2011.
JMTC

I cant see how that will help his injury-riddled body? :confused:

The big knock on him apart from his arrogance which the Hawks finally had enough of, is even a minor injury niggle and he falls apart mentally.

I think that Clarkson and the club just had a gut full of seeing Mitch strut around like some sort of superstar. His displays of arrogance to his teammates as well as the fans was a well known problem.

I know that Hodgey in particular told him to pull his head in.

How's David Myers going for you? The curse of the number 6 draft pick strikes again:

2000 Dylan Smith (Kangaroos)
2001 Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2002 Steve Salopek (Port)
2003 Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2004 Tom Williams (Bull)
2005 Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006 Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007 David Myers (Ess)
2008 Chris Yarran (Carl)

Steve Salopek is really the only guy who has proven himself from that list.
Why would you even bother putting 2008 on the list ?..it usually takes more than a year in the system for an 18yr old to prove himself...the lack of intelligence on here is amazing at times . :eek:

How's David Myers going for you? The curse of the number 6 draft pick strikes again:

2000 Dylan Smith (Kangaroos)
2001 Ashley Sampi (WCE)
2002 Steve Salopek (Port)
2003 Kepler Bradley (Ess)
2004 Tom Williams (Bull)
2005 Beau Dowler (Hawks)
2006 Mitch Thorp (Hawks)
2007 David Myers (Ess)
2008 Chris Yarran (Carl)

Steve Salopek is really the only guy who has proven himself from that list.

Oh great, the Swans have pick 6 this year...

This is made worse as IIRC #7 has won the last 3 Rising Stars?

There is no 'might' about it, Thorp knows far too well how good he is/was.

I know players both at Hawthorn, and people who either played with him at school level or played against him and the one thing commonly repeated is the bloke is pretty happy with his ability.

There is nothing wrong with that to a certain extent, but if you aren't backing it up on the track there will be issues. Apparently (i.e. on BigFooty) he was training quite well only a few weeks ago, but there may have been an incident since that was the final straw.

I remember there was an article about him either last year or in 2007, and that mentioned as well his self-confidence. Agree with you, in itself there's nothing wrong with that, every sportsman needs it to an extent. Funny thing was at the time most of the media were saying how great it was that he had that self-belief.

Haven't seen him play myself so it would be unfair to comment on his football ability. By all accounts he can play. You would think someone will take a punt on him.

It's almost impossible to read a thread without Hawthorn and Essendon supporters trying to roll each other. Keep it in the bay 13 area. It's an eye sore to read.

Agreed, it's so tiresome. The amusing thing is that all it really shows is how much they respect each other as an adversary.

I would like Mitch Thorp to be picked up by someone else, would be interesting to see how he goes.

Since when has being likeable and humble a criteria for making it as a footy player, wouldn't be hard to rattle off heaps of players with tickets on themselves and attitude problems...it's not ideal, but it happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

mitch thorp????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back