Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Thankyou for that, everytime i see a player go down with a knee I can't help but think his career will be severely limited going forward.

Shattered all the same though

Even looking at David Hille and Jarrad Waite last year, and Brett Burton the year before.

Burton was in his 30's, came back from a nasty knee reco and was still leaping over buildings, won the mark of the year award.

Hille went down horribly on Anzac Day 2009, played some really good footy last year as a big man in the ruck, had a couple of BOG performances.

Jarrad Waite came back last year, held down CHF at Carlton and kicked a career high 36 goals from 16 games. He generally only missed games through suspension I think.

Let's not forget one of Carlton's prized number 1 recruits is going through the same thing as Morabito at the moment.

There's players drafted these days that have had reco's before entering the system you know. Vickery went at 8 a couple of years back, and Liam Jones went pretty high for the doggies and looked good on debut last year.

Chris Dawes had a pretty nasty reco and he's still prettyy athletic in his own sense for such a big, powerful man.

****, poor old Callum Bartlett (Bris) who was rated so highly was drafted after a knee reco and was starting to show that magnificant pace and athleticsm he possesses in the reserves and the poor bugger pinged the opposite and is sitting out another 9-12 months so it can get much worse.

But yeah, Goddard's the big one. Pinged his knee in 2007, came back the next year, played 23 games, had a career best season and hasn't looked back. Now rated as one of the very best going around.

The surgeons are so good these days, the recovery I guess is just one of those things that takes a long time when you go the conserative way.

Sometimes it takes a player a year of game time to get back to his best, Like Nick Malceski, and then look at the year he put in in 2010. His form was sensational. You watch Palmer find himself and his form again this year.

Maybe it's the fact I live my life with a life threatening illness everyday, but I always come to look on the bright side.

Anthony (if he goes the conservative approach) has 15 months now to get things right there. He can work on his body over that period and gain some strength through his core and add significant power to his body, and he'll be up and running in a few months. He can then really work hard on his endurance for a good period and when pre-season starts after the 2011 season, it'll almost be 12 months and he'll be ready to get back into some serious heavy duty training. Probably play NAB Cup and get some practise matches in him before the regular season.

I'm pissed because I was looking forward to watching him further his development this year, because I think he's an absolute jet, but he'll be back, he'd of faced a little adversity, found out you can't take this career for granted, and he'll probably come back a more committed and appreciative footballer and reach the heights he may not have reached if he didn't have to go through a little time on the sidelines.

In the meantime you can try Jayden Pitt (who is also a gun) in that high half forward position Morabito played last year and see what he can bring to your side.

It'll all work out. Oneday you'll get to see Barlow, Morabito, Palmer, Hill and Pitt all in the one side.

Even looking at David Hille and Jarrad Waite last year, and Brett Burton the year before.

Burton was in his 30's, came back from a nasty knee reco and was still leaping over buildings, won the mark of the year award.

Hille went down horribly on Anzac Day 2009, played some really good footy last year as a big man in the ruck, had a couple of BOG performances.

Jarrad Waite came back last year, held down CHF at Carlton and kicked a career high 36 goals from 16 games. He generally only missed games through suspension I think.

Let's not forget one of Carlton's prized number 1 recruits is going through the same thing as Morabito at the moment.

There's players drafted these days that have had reco's before entering the system you know. Vickery went at 8 a couple of years back, and Liam Jones went pretty high for the doggies and looked good on debut last year.

Chris Dawes had a pretty nasty reco and he's still prettyy athletic in his own sense for such a big, powerful man.

****, poor old Callum Bartlett (Bris) who was rated so highly was drafted after a knee reco and was starting to show that magnificant pace and athleticsm he possesses in the reserves and the poor bugger pinged the opposite and is sitting out another 9-12 months so it can get much worse.

But yeah, Goddard's the big one. Pinged his knee in 2007, came back the next year, played 23 games, had a career best season and hasn't looked back. Now rated as one of the very best going around.

The surgeons are so good these days, the recovery I guess is just one of those things that takes a long time when you go the conserative way.

Sometimes it takes a player a year of game time to get back to his best, Like Nick Malceski, and then look at the year he put in in 2010. His form was sensational. You watch Palmer find himself and his form again this year.

Maybe it's the fact I live my life with a life threatening illness everyday, but I always come to look on the bright side.

Anthony (if he goes the conservative approach) has 15 months now to get things right there. He can work on his body over that period and gain some strength through his core and add significant power to his body, and he'll be up and running in a few months. He can then really work hard on his endurance for a good period and when pre-season starts after the 2011 season, it'll almost be 12 months and he'll be ready to get back into some serious heavy duty training. Probably play NAB Cup and get some practise matches in him before the regular season.

I'm pissed because I was looking forward to watching him further his development this year, because I think he's an absolute jet, but he'll be back, he'd of faced a little adversity, found out you can't take this career for granted, and he'll probably come back a more committed and appreciative footballer and reach the heights he may not have reached if he didn't have to go through a little time on the sidelines.

In the meantime you can try Jayden Pitt (who is also a gun) in that high half forward position Morabito played last year and see what he can bring to your side.

It'll all work out. Oneday you'll get to see Barlow, Morabito, Palmer, Hill and Pitt all in the one side.

Thanks D. Sometimes it takes a story like this to get a little bit of perspective.
Hope you go ok with your own situation :)

This is horrible. When talented youngsters go down with injury the biggest loss is to the game itself. I hope Morabito comes back strong, and recovers well. We have seen quite a few older players return from knee surgery's recently and do quite well which to me indicates that the medical knowledge in this area has become quite effective. A younger player should hopefully come back in even better shape (I know I am hoping so with Kreuzer). The best of luck to Anthony, this game needs talented kids like him.

Horrible as. But I suppose better now then when 27. What is it with 2nd year first round draft picks breaking their ligaments. I'd expect the side to now look like:

B: Hayden Grover Broughton
HB: Crowley McPharlin Duffield
C: Hill Barlow Mzungu or Robertson
F: Mayne Pavlich Johnson
FF: Ballantyne Anthony Fyfe

R: Sandilands Mundy Palmer

I: Griffin Walters Bradley
Sub: Silvagni

Absolutely gut wrenching for Anthony. Surely this isn't part of the "process"?

We will miss both his contribution (which was getting far more significant at the end of 2010) and his development. His goal in the EF was one of the main factors in dispelling Hawthorn's confidence. His tackling right through 2010 was also a feature.

We all have our own best 22's, but our depth is such that Crowley is the player I brought in to mine to replace Morabito (have Mzungu and Faulks already in there) - so depth is about the only positive thing to reflect on here.

Just heard the news on the radio. Gutted. All the best Anthony and come back better than ever 2012 to help us to our first flag...maybe 2013.

Freo remind me a bit of the Aussie soccer team pre-2007. Nothing ever goes right. The socceroos had a hex put on them by a witch doctor in Africa after the national administrators jerked around the Cameroon team, sometime in the 70s, I think it was. The socceroos then had absolutely no luck until John Saffron removed the curse (anybody else remember seeing this on John Saffron v God). Since then the Socceroos haven't looked back. Maybe we need Saffron to look into this? Incidnetally, I don;t think he gets the credit he deserves for the vast improvement in Australian soccer - Frank Lowy should sling him a few mill :D

On Freo oval, I don't think there can be any real problems - the bullies play there every second weekend and they don't suffer any more injuries than any other team in the WAFL.

at least it gives me a little more confidence that walters's injury isn't anything that will sideline him for too long, if the club doesn't deign it significant enough to report on.

Nice post didaka :thumbsu:. That last bit I'm was so (and still am) looking forward too. Pitt is obviously a new part to the mix. but I'm just hanging for us to get all those great prospects playing in top flight together. Just when Palmer was starting to look the goods last year coming back form his recko, Barlow breaks his leg and Palmer's confidence plummets back down again. Looked like Barlow was going to get back into the swing of things by early-mid part of 2011 and now Mora is out for the whole gig. :(

Horrible as. But I suppose better now then when 27. What is it with 2nd year first round draft picks breaking their ligaments. I'd expect the side to now look like:

B: Hayden Grover Broughton
HB: Crowley McPharlin Duffield
C: Hill Barlow Mzungu or Robertson
F: Mayne Pavlich Johnson
FF: Ballantyne Anthony Fyfe

R: Sandilands Mundy Palmer

I: Griffin Walters Bradley
Sub: Silvagni

Hayden is pretty much out for the season too - well half at least. Not sure you can count on Barlow playing rnd 1 either ... just for the record.

Also, as I asked earlier, do we have any detail on the how it happened? The short post at afl.com simply says "It appears to be just an unfortunate incident, not as a result of a collision." Sounds a bit innocuous given it was a blown knee?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a shame.

Thankfully for the club footy isn't basketball so 1 good young player going down doesn't kill the season.

Thankfully for Mora it has happened at this time of year so like others have smartly pointed out he will have a full pre-season next year which is so important for him.

What it also means is that in 2012 he'll be like a new recruit for us. A very handy impact recruit to a top 4 or top 6 team.

The comeback will be no problem for him and I'm sure that in 3 years time both he and us will hardly remember it happened. His Norm Smith will take care of that.

The selections of Bucovaz and Roberts are looking like genius moves right about now.

You reckon you put those two in a blender and out comes Mora? What was it; 5 drops of the Essence of Terror? Size, pace, skill and aggression. We are going to miss Mora this year but the gap will be filled and we can anticipate his return.

Very sad news.

Probably the safe decision not to LARS at his age even though it means he misses 12 months, better for his long term health.

Here's hoping he can have a great 2012 comeback with team success.

Apologies if covered elsewhere, but do we have any reports how it happened. Was it simply a running/fitness drill of sorts or some sort of contact/impact injury?

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8490513/morabito-out-for-the-2011-season/

The teenager changed direction in a regulation drill and his knee buckled. ...

The 19-year-old had set himself for a huge 2011 season after playing 23 games, including two finals, in 2010. His manager, Colin Young, said the news was a shocking blow.

“He said that he’d done that same drill and same movement in every training session and every game,” Young said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8490513/morabito-out-for-the-2011-season/

Anyone know of this happening to others?

The teenager changed direction in a regulation drill and his knee buckled. ...

The 19-year-old had set himself for a huge 2011 season after playing 23 games, including two finals, in 2010. His manager, Colin Young, said the news was a shocking blow.

“He said that he’d done that same drill and same movement in every training session and every game,” Young said.

Anyone know of this happening to others?

That all sounds eerily similar to Andy Otten at the same time last year.

Terrible news for the young kid but I'm sure he'll be back bigger and better.

Last year we had Brodie Martin come back from an ACL he did in just his second AFL match. In round 22 against St. Kilda, I think it was his second AFL match back from injury, he had back all his pace and agility and showed it all throughout the game. Pretty much BOG.

The year before that we Burton come back from an ACL and take mark of the year.

Good luck for the future Mora!!

This brought back awful memories of Andy Otten doing his ACL the exact same time last year. And like Andy, Morabito is a huge young talent who was really starting to hit his strap last season and was set to take another step.

It's pretty crushing, but he'll be fine, and you blokes have good young list anyway to make up for it. Hope his recovery goes well.

Tragic news. :( Really feel for the young kid and hope that he comes back bigger and better.:thumbsu:

That's just tragic, so disappointing for the kid - i wish him all the best. One up side, he'll be spending the next 12 months in the gym turning into a monster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Morabito to undergo knee surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back