Multiculturalism - Should we change for others, or should they change for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Murray said:
No, I know what words to use, and racism is the word.

Now you never did answer my question as to what section8 means - mentally unstable isn't it?

Yes, mentally unstable. Do you discriminate against the mentally unstable? What are you angling at?

You can consider yourself Australian and have any colour skin you like and will be accepted as an Australian. Otherwise, you will be considered as being part of the <insert culture here> minority.

How is that racist?

AndSmithMustScore said:
Have you ever told or laughed at an irish joke?

If you say no you are lying,because it will prove you too are a racist.

I have a standard saying.
"I will not debate with ignorance"

You are dismissed now

Murray said:
Now we have a definition that you picked out of your arse that flags can only represent a nation.
Eureka flag anyone?

Flags? Nice strawman attempt.

Did "aboriginals" have any centralisation of power between tribes?

Murray said:
I have a standard saying.
"I will not debate with ignorance"

You are dismissed now

The fact you can't answer a simple question shows your total hypocrisy on the matter.

Everyone has laughed at Irish jokes.

And by your reasoning that would make everyone a racist because people are singling the irish out as being different from other peoples.

Do you deny this is true?

AndSmithMustScore said:
The fact you can't answer a simple question shows your total hypocrisy on the matter.

Everyone has laughed at Irish jokes.

And by your reasoning that would make everyone a racist because people are singling the irish out as being different from other peoples.

Do you deny this is true?

Are the irish a "race" or a "culture", Murray?

PerthCrow said:
Did you drive? And if you did, did you feel comfortable and safe?

Of course I drove and of course I felt safe and comfortable.

Seriously, what sort of signs relating to safety would you expect to be on a road where a lack of the language would leave you unable to not comprehend a safety issue?

Do they spell out speed limits instead of using numbers where you come from? Do they put stop signs on anonymous white boards with no other clues, such as road markings? It's not often (read never) you'll drive down a quiet road with a sign saying bridge out ahead.

By far the biggest danger is not knowing the local vagaries of the rules, but that has nothing to do with language. For example , when I want to turn left into a street, when a car coming coming from the opposite direction wants to turn right in to the same street, then I have to know the rules to know who gets the right of way. But whether I learnt those rules in one language or another makes not one iota of diffrence.

Murray said:
Why should they speak English - what difference does it make?

I dunno maybe so they can communicate?

BTW I thought personal attacks were against the rules of this board?

"Robust argument is welcome. Personal abuse, slander and libel are not."

Is calling someone a xenophobic racist not personal abuse?

Monkster said:

Not if it's true.

Jim Boy said:
Of course I drove and of course I felt safe and comfortable.
Your a lot more of a confident person than I am.

Seriously, what sort of signs relating to safety would you expect to be on a road where a lack of the language would leave you unable to not comprehend a safety issue?
There are plenty. The Vic roads one shows many English written signs that warn of dangers and changed traffic conditions.

Vic signs

The world

Do they spell out speed limits instead of using numbers where you come from? Do they put stop signs on anonymous white boards with no other clues, such as road markings? It's not often (read never) you'll drive down a quiet road with a sign saying bridge out ahead.

If you couldnt speak English what would the second 50 sign be saying?

endspeedlimits.gif

If you couldnt speak German what would this sign be saying to you?

z220.gif

AndSmithMustScore said:
What if there is a car accident and emergency help is required?

Due to not being able to communicate in the countrys langauge they are unable to relay a street or road where the accident occured in order to gain help.
Drawing a long bow aren't we? Clutching somewhat at straws?

Pray tell, how often is it that accidents happen where only the driver is involved - no passengers, no passer-bys, no other cars, yet the driver still needs emergency services and yet doesn't know what road they are on and can't even phonetically pronounce the street sign, even if they have no idea of the meaning?

Next you'll be arguing that non-english speaking people be allowed to take taxi rides, in case the taxi crashes and they need to contact emergency services. After that you'll be arguing that people without English not be allowed into the country, because they're not like you. Ooops that's what you are arguing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AndSmithMustScore said:
What if there is a car accident and emergency help is required?

Due to not being able to communicate in the countrys langauge they are unable to relay a street or road where the accident occured in order to gain help.
Then they'd be in the exact same situation as an English speaker with no means of communication.

Besides, you monoculturalists aren't trying to prove how non-English speaking drivers put themselves at a disadvantage, but how they disadvantage the rest of us.

mantis said:
Not if it's true.

How is it true? Because I expect people to learn the language of the country they go to live in? Notice I said learn the language and not that everyone needs to learn English? Notice how earlier I said if I moved to Greece I'd learn Greek and not expect them all to understand English? Go on keep telling me how racist I am.

Just curious, what do all of you English-language partisans think of international drivers licenses?

You know, those things that you can buy that allow you to drive in any country in the world, regardless of language, knowledge of local rules or any other barrier? With no test involved?

CharlieG said:
Just curious, what do all of you English-language partisans think of international drivers licenses?

You know, those things that you can buy that allow you to drive in any country in the world, regardless of language, knowledge of local rules or any other barrier? With no test involved?

I think they should only be allowed if you visit a country that has the same or a similar language as the one you speak. As has been said I wouldn't live in a country where I didn't understand the language so you can be damned sure I wouldn't drive there, and Perth Crow has said that he wouldn't drive in a country that didn't speak English.

Jim Boy said:
After that you'll be arguing that people without English not be allowed into the country, because they're not like you. Ooops that's what you are arguing.

I never said that at all, I said live in the country. I also said no one should be allowed to live in any country where they can't speak the language.

It has nothing to do with being like me, it has to do with being able to communicate with me.

Who was the guy in BF who was outraged because in a muslim area, KFC was not serving bacon.

It was their example of 'Australian' culture being eroded - KFC !!!!

Similarly santa claus under threat - who's as australian as coca cola

Pessimistic said:
Who was the guy in BF who was outraged because in a muslim area, KFC was not serving bacon.

That sort of thing doesn't bother me a bit, it's just delivering to their demographic (although it would be nice if they had bacon that could be added upon request if someone outside the area was to visit) but I'd hope they spoke English there.

Monkster said:
I think they should only be allowed if you visit a country that has the same or a similar language as the one you speak. Snip.

Just snipped the part that wasn't relevant to my question.

The entire idea of the IDP is that local road rules are translated into your own language. It is designed to overcome language barriers. However, there is still no test for IDP holders to drive in Australia. By the way, Australia recognises the IDP by virtue of a United Nations Treaty. We can't restrict it to English language countries, even if we wanted to.

I would rather have tests in languages other than English, and know that the driver has at least passed an Australian standard driving test, than force them to take the IDP route. We wouldn't be achieving greater control of our roads - we'd be achieving less.

I don't think that a populist flag-waving policy is worth the hassle of more dead kids on our roads.

Monkster said:

The truth is an absolute defence

CharlieG said:

I have already posted I would not feel comfortable driving in countries that dont have English as the dominant language.I would gladly drive in England, USA and NZ but would hesitate at driving in Germany and Spain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiculturalism - Should we change for others, or should they change for us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back