My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it will pretty much be the team that played off in the Preliminary Final with a couple of forced/unforced changes.

I think you're right about that since we didn't have all that many players out with injury in that game, from memory just Talia and perhaps Shaw.

Something that concerns me going forward though is the lack of composure from Petrenko in front of the goal posts. It's something that needs to be addressed or we may end up paying for it dearly in a tight finals game. To be honest given that he is in the forward line primarily in a defensive role I wouldn't care too much if he didn't kick many goals, if he were the sort that made the most of every opportunity he got. I think his biggest problem is when he has to stop and think about what he is doing, as that's where the doubts begin to creep in, when he plays on instinct is when he plays at his best. Personally I would love to see him play on ball for a while, his intensity around the contests and his ability to maneuver with speed and agility in tight spaces is exceptional which would be ideal for winning the ball and getting it out to a team mate.

What it most likely will be:

FB: Brown - Talia - Rutten
HB: Smith - Shaw/Otten - Reilly
C: McKay - Thompson - van Berlo
HF: Vince - McKernan/Jenkins - Wright
FF: Porplyzia - Walker - Callinan
Foll: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I/C: Henderson - Douglas - Petrenko
Sub: Johncock/Crouch

Brown "ready made" replacement :rolleyes: , Johncock "Perfect Sub", Petrenko "Forward pressure" and Richie Douglas "quality midfielder" syndrome will most likely again consume the Team Selection panel - which will more than likely play it 'safe' at the start season. Toss up's between McKernan/Jenkins and Otten/Shaw depending on Pre-Season form/injury.

Things I'd like to see next season though:
  • Crouch and Lyons given a chance in front of Douglas/Petrenko
  • Henderson played permanently on the wing - outside pace
  • Johncock at least given a chance to play the vacated back pocket role again in his final season, Petrenko maybe trialled down there - as others are still not ready or the right fit to play back there.
  • Rutten to be slowly phased out of a main role in what will most likely be his final season, to play more of the 3rd defender Glass/Scarlett role
  • a small forward to challenge Callinan for that genuine crumbing forward role
  • Not afraid to play a 3 pronged tall forward line with Louie Johnston in it

• Johncock at least given a chance to play the vacated back pocket role again in his final season, Petrenko maybe trialled down there - as others are still not ready or the right fit to play back there.
  • Rutten to be slowly phased out of a main role in what will most likely be his final season, to play more of the 3rd defender Glass/Scarlett role

:thumbsu: Happy with all this

I really feel like Lyons is the forgotten man. Maybe not on this board, but in the wider fan base and media. I reckon he could burst onto the scene next year. Feel he could play forward, mid or even down back just to get him some game time. Brown doesn't neccasarily have Dogga's spot sewn up.

I really feel like Lyons is the forgotten man. Maybe not on this board, but in the wider fan base and media. I reckon he could burst onto the scene next year. Feel he could play forward, mid or even down back just to get him some game time. Brown doesn't neccasarily have Dogga's spot sewn up.

It does not matter that Lyon is forgotten by the wider fan base and media, what counts is that he is not forgotten by the coaches

It does not matter that Lyon is forgotten by the wider fan base and media, what counts is that he is not forgotten by the coaches

I agree with you, I just can not see whose spot he will take in the first 22?

If we have another very good run with injures, he could play as a the sub half a dozen times and then the rest of the season at Brighton Oval.

A bad run with injures and he may struggle as he may have to play a role he's not ready for.

I'd like to see Riley play the defensive forward role ahead of Petrenko.

Just as we should have done in the Prelim...

I reckon Aidan's physical pressure would be even stronger than Pets and I don't think he'd be any slower hunting an opposition player from 10-20 metres away. Plus he'd be a better shot for goal.

I see Riley becoming a seriously good player for us with a higher ceiling than Pets - get him in the side.

What it most likely will be:

FB: Brown - Talia - Rutten
HB: Smith - Shaw/Otten - Reilly
C: McKay - Thompson - van Berlo
HF: Vince - McKernan/Jenkins - Wright
FF: Porplyzia - Walker - Callinan
Foll: Jacobs - Dangerfield - Sloane
I/C: Henderson - Douglas - Petrenko
Sub: Johncock/Crouch

Brown "ready made" replacement :rolleyes: , Johncock "Perfect Sub", Petrenko "Forward pressure" and Richie Douglas "quality midfielder" syndrome will most likely again consume the Team Selection panel - which will more than likely play it 'safe' at the start season. Toss up's between McKernan/Jenkins and Otten/Shaw depending on Pre-Season form/injury.

How on ****ing earth is playing Brown the 'safe' option? He is a very similar player to Dogga, but is also probably more attacking. We didn't basically pay a first round draft pick for him to sit in the SANFL, and his SANFL form was very solid all season, especially GF day. I thought this board would be creaming over his inclusion considering his age, and the fact he has shown plenty in the SANFL.

Stiffy is a good sub, Pets will be fighting for his spot with Lyons and maybe Crouch, and Dougie is easily best 22. ****ing hell, this board sometimes. I very highly doubt this is Rutten's last season given he aint even 30 yet, and he most definitely won't be 'phased' out. Cue 'Rutten is too slow for AFL' comebacks.

I'd like to see Riley play the defensive forward role ahead of Petrenko.

Just as we should have done in the Prelim...

I reckon Aidan's physical pressure would be even stronger than Pets and I don't think he'd be any slower hunting an opposition player from 10-20 metres away. Plus he'd be a better shot for goal.

I see Riley becoming a seriously good player for us with a higher ceiling than Pets - get him in the side.

Agree.....does Riley kick with either foot?

How on ******* earth is playing Brown the 'safe' option? He is a very similar player to Dogga, but is also probably more attacking. We didn't basically pay a first round draft pick for him to sit in the SANFL, and his SANFL form was very solid all season, especially GF day. I thought this board would be creaming over his inclusion considering his age, and the fact he has shown plenty in the SANFL.

Stiffy is a good sub, Pets will be fighting for his spot with Lyons and maybe Crouch, and Dougie is easily best 22. ******* hell, this board sometimes. I very highly doubt this is Rutten's last season given he aint even 30 yet, and he most definitely won't be 'phased' out. Cue 'Rutten is too slow for AFL' comebacks.

Brown is not a lock down defender, he is a roaming half-back, infact he played majority of this year with Norwood loose off the half back flank or on the wing, I said it before in another thread he lacks the body size and defensive pressure and nous at the moment I think to play permanetly in that back pocket role he's been earmarked for. I'm not putting Rutten straight out to pasture like your suggesting I'm just indicating that he's closer to the end than the beginning so we should try to become less reliant on the big guy.

They are my own personal thoughts on Douglas, he's going to be 26 by round 1 next year and still hasn't provided anything to show he will make any improvements to his game then what we've already seen in the last 7 seasons, if he's in the midfield he's never going to end up being a tough in and under clearance winning midfielder, he's never going to be that quick outside runner we need and he's never going to be a classy user of the ball - he'll just continue to not look up and bang it forward like he's done his whole career, you can also add to that he's inability to be clean under pressure or underfoot. He had a semi-profitable 2010 and lacking any real competition won a B&F averaging just 20 disposals a game in which was probably our worst performance by a midfield group since 1995 when Matt Connell won one.

Back then he profited from Craig's bruise free over possessing slow midfield gameplan and since then he's also had form problems in 2011 and injury worries this season, he should not be considered a easy walk up start for our team next season especially with our midfield depth being the main strength of our squad - Crouch and Lyons just for a start have way more upside as pure midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Ian Callinan a walk up start next year?

I think there are a few blokes that will push ahead of him. I know they are different players but i would like to see Crouch and Lyon push for spots. They could play a small man role. Especially as Wright Vince Douglas Props can all play small forward.

Is Ian Callinan a walk up start next year?

I think there are a few blokes that will push ahead of him. I know they are different players but i would like to see Crouch and Lyon push for spots. They could play a small man role. Especially as Wright Vince Douglas Props can all play small forward.

I think the spot is his to lose, initially. His finals form wasn't great but his contribution during the season is enough to have earnt him his spot in the team for now.

I think the spot is his to lose, initially. His finals form wasn't great but his contribution during the season is enough to have earnt him his spot in the team for now.

Nope, it's no longer his spot IMO. He had three finals games to prove his worth against finals quality opposition and failed miserably. If he was a youngster, you'd forgive him and write it off as good experience and beneficial to his development. However he is a 29-30yo veteran with extensive finals experience at lower levels, he was drafted for his ability to impact straight away in finals. He is no longer deserving of a spot walk up spot in our best 22, especially when we have a couple of youngsters who are more than deserving of spots in our best 22, eg Lyons, Crouch, Riley...

Unless he shows significant improvement over the preseason, he is now relegated to depth status.

Nope, it's no longer his spot IMO. He had three finals games to prove his worth against finals quality opposition and failed miserably. If he was a youngster, you'd forgive him and write it off as good experience and beneficial to his development. However he is a 29-30yo veteran with extensive finals experience at lower levels, he was drafted for his ability to impact straight away in finals. He is no longer deserving of a spot walk up spot in our best 22, especially when we have a couple of youngsters who are more than deserving of spots in our best 22, eg Lyons, Crouch, Riley...

Unless he shows significant improvement over the preseason, he is now relegated to depth status.
Pffft. What rubbish. You don't dump a guy who kicked 39 goals and setup countless others.

Where do people see Lewis Johnson. I think he is better than a depth player and could be really valuable in the forward line. Can he play with Tex and Smack or Jenkins?

I think you're being overly harsh. By no means am I suggesting that his spot is secure, and I indicated as much through the use of the word; initially. I do however believe that he'll have first crack at it based on what he achieved during the season.

I don't think at this stage Matty J is in Sando's best 22 plans

I agree with other posters that his defensive side of his game needs to Improve I also don believe playing him at HF or wing is the answer in order to mask his deficiencies especially in the modern game where team defence is so critical

Make or break year for Matty J IMO
Agree.. and yet they gave him a shiny new 2-year contract barely a week before dropping him earlier this year.:rolleyes:

How many of our 2nd tier players (22-30) will beak through this year?
A.Riley, S.Kerridge, B.Martin, L.Johnston, S.McKernan, L.Brown, T.McIntyre, M.Jaensch, J.Lyons, T.Lynch, L.Thompson etc etc

We have soo many players in the 12-30 range atm.

Good depth yes, but it shows we don't have a lot of players who can cement a position.

We really need a few younger players to stop showing glimpses and start showing they are genuine best 22 AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

My 2013 round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back