Certified Legendary Thread My Sharona! (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official Government Information about COVID-19
Contact the National Coronavirus Information Hotline on 1800 020 080 for information about COVID-19.

Stay informed. Download the official government “Coronavirus Australia” app in the Apple App Store or Google Play,
or join our WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

If you live in the Adelaide metropolitan area and would like to get checked out, this is how get drive-thru testing at the Repat:

1584943828763.png

the Official Sources, Do You Have The Symptoms?, Tips and Statistics are below

Official Sources, Do you have Symptoms?, Tips, Statistics

Environmental Cleaning & Disinfection Principles
https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...-and-disinfection-principles-for-covid-19.pdf

SA Health:

Australian Federal Govt:

World Health Organisation:

Smart Traveller: (thanks Mutineer )

Do you have the symptoms?
(thanks again to Mutineer )

1584505884236.png

Tips

Home Isolation Advice:

What to do if you’re feeling unwell

If you are severely unwell, such as having difficulty breathing, call 000 (Triple Zero).

If you have travelled anywhere overseas in the past 14 days and have COVID-19 symptoms, seek testing at a COVID-19 clinic or contact your GP (advise your GP of your travel history) and isolate yourself.

If you have NOT travelled overseas recently, but are feeling unwell, visit your usual health care provider. Avoid contact with others if you are unwell.

Mental health in the age of coronavirus

Woolworths to introduce a dedicated shopping hour for the elderly and people with disability.

Keeping Yourself And Your Things Germ Free

Cleaning Your Phone

Optus Mobile giving away data due to Covid-19

To play our part in supporting your access needs, we are giving all eligible mobile subscribers a one off 20GB of free extra data which can be activated within My Optus app anytime during the month of April and valid for 30 days from activation. For our eligible prepaid customers, we will also be offering 10GB of free extra data when you top up for more than $40 during the month of April.

We'll have more details about these extra data offers available soon at optus.com.au/COVID19-support.

Statistics

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

Stay safe and look after each other (from a safe distance)
Dear posters: unsubstantiated advice will be deleted. We understand you want to help, but #fakenews blah blah blah we're not allowing any disinformation. Got some great advice about washing your hands whilst dancing like David Byrne in Once In A Lifetime helps kill the virus? That's fantastic, provide a link to a reputable source.

Last edited:
In fairness to Vader I explained to him how "unethically" he could have avoided not going and got his money back, without anyone really knowing or getting caught out.

He said basically to me he is not that type of person to resort to "unethical" measures. So I thought kudos to him for being like that.
So he has ethics but was willing to go ahead and be selfish so as to not lose $3k. Right, that makes it better.

There really isn’t a choice though is there? Not when you are aware of the risks, you say goodbye to your money otherwise you come across as one massive selfish hypocrite for not only putting yourself at risk but others.
If they are running the event, I’d generally defer to the business having weighed the risks better than I could.

So he has ethics but was willing to go ahead and be selfish so as to not lose $3k. Right, that makes it better.

Well I dont know him personally, (though I think I saw him once in Canberra) but bare in mind, the mindset that he had wasnt too far different to the mindset that the Chief Medical Officer had, that didnt deem it inappropriate to ban crowds attending R1 of the NRL.

At that point in time, it was very different to what has evolved to today.

Did you ever think about not going on the trip (I think you said you left on March 10)? No restrictions had been put in place here, but we did have cases and the WHO had called it a pandemic.

I understand the costs involved in holidays and refunds being hard to get, so was that the ultimate factor in deciding still to go?
6th March. Virtually no cases in South America when I left. Thought by the time it spread through South America I would be long home.
That and my partner was already over there.
And that I hadn’t taken 6 weeks off work in my life (never taken longer than 2) and was desperately needing a holiday for mental health reasons. I’ve suffered from a slipped disc for 12 months that has made life quite difficult.

If they are running the event, I’d generally defer to the business having weighed the risks better than I could.
Vader leading up to the cruise was carrying on like a pork chop about the government not treating this seriously and introducing great social distancing measures, he then outlined his dilemma and knowing the risk was going ahead with it.

Anyway, I’ll move on

Well I dont know him personally, (though I think I saw him once in Canberra) but bare in mind, the mindset that he had wasnt too far different to the mindset that the Chief Medical Officer had, that didnt deem it inappropriate to ban crowds attending R1 of the NRL.

At that point in time, it was very different to what has evolved to today.
And what was Vader’s opinion of that decision?

At the time Vader was criticising the government for not enforcing greater social distancing measures and yet he was going to lock himself away on a ship with thousands of people for an extended period of time.

Plus he even said at the time he hoped they cancelled because of the risk, but would still go because of the $3k he paid.

The majority on here just looked the other way and even now you are making up excuses for him. What does he have on you all? He ain’t a Mod anymore, call him out.
Already have a couple of posts prior to you

As I said my line of thinking is that if I had genuinely contracted a virus, flu, CV or anything else I was thinking it would have debilitated me to not be able to push through training, as it has in the past. Last year I had suffered from the flu for 8 weeks.
Doesn't seem very normal to have the flu for 8 weeks. Was it confirmed via a swab/blood test?
Perhaps could be explained more as a chest infection or a viral illness other than the flu?

Doesn't seem very normal to have the flu for 8 weeks. Was it confirmed via a swab/blood test?
Perhaps could be explained more as a chest infection or a viral illness other than the flu?

I had tests done for the flu and I did have it. Swab.

It wasnt that I had flu for 8 weeks but rather for about 4-6 weeks, but was fairly flat and fatigued for the next 2-4 weeks after it. Had no energy whatsoever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had tests done for the flu and I did have it. Swab.

It wasnt that I had flu for 8 weeks but rather for about 4-6 weeks, but was fairly flat and fatigued for the next 2-4 weeks after it. Had no energy whatsoever.
Maybe it was the Covid18, the precursor to the Covid19!

In all seriousness, it sounds something more like a prolonged viral illness like a glandular fever or something of similar kind. You may well have had 2 viruses, one occurring after another. I guess we'll never know for sure! lol

Maybe it was the Covid18, the precursor to the Covid19!

In all seriousness, it sounds something more like a prolonged viral illness like a glandular fever or something of similar kind. You may well have had 2 viruses, one occurring after another. I guess we'll never know for sure! lol

Yes I did think that at the time, I was hit with two strains of the flu is very possible.

The flu jab only inoculates you for some strains of the flu going around. You can still catch another strain of the flu, as you would know even with a vaccination.

I made sure to get the jab this year only because of CV, so that my immune system is not compromised due to flu and then I get CV.

There really isn’t a choice though is there? Not when you are aware of the risks, you say goodbye to your money otherwise you come across as one massive selfish hypocrite for not only putting yourself at risk but others.

I don't think it's quite that simple

We already spent nearly $4,000 for the cruise, $1,800 for accommodation in Singapore, nearly $1,500 for flights to Sydney and then from Singapore to Adelaide.

Friends of ours who were going on the same cruise dropped over 10k for a suite.

We're not taking about a couple of hundred dollars, we're talking about significant sums of money that people might have spent years saving up.

All of this was all booked and paid for long before December 2019, it's not like we just booked and paid for it knowing this was happening.

The whole purpose of taking out insurance is to cover people from illness/injury or financial loss and yet the rug was pulled out from most people by insurance companies telling people that their insurance policy is now effectively worthless.

I would think anyone in that position they wouldn't be so flippant about giving up thousands of dollars like it was no big deal.

We were lucky that our booking as in April so we were able to get our cruise money back, but we can't get a refund for our airfare and accommodation, but have been able to convert it into credit. However, if things don't change in 12-18 months then we'll effectively be out of pocket nearly 3.5k for something that we had no control over and our insurance refuses to cover.

So when's the point where you're not?

5k, 10k, 15k?

I think it's easy to sit back in the cheap seats judging the actions of others when you have zero skin in the game.

5k, 10k, 15k?

I think it's easy to sit back in the cheap seats judging the actions of others when you have zero skin in the game.

Lets also not forget what is worth $5k to one person is worth nothing to another.

Different people in different financial positions, some dont have the luxury to waiver that amount.

As I said all along, at the time when Vader was taking his cruise the PM/Chief Medical Officer gave the blessing for crowds to attend R1 of NRL.

5k, 10k, 15k?

It's the insurance companies who are the real scumbags here. Always so happy to take your money but never want to give a dime in return.

I don't think it's quite that simple

We already spent nearly $4,000 for the cruise, $1,800 for accommodation in Singapore, nearly $1,500 for flights to Sydney and then from Singapore to Adelaide.

Friends of ours who were going on the same cruise dropped over 10k for a suite.

We're not taking about a couple of hundred dollars, we're talking about significant sums of money that people might have spent years saving up.

All of this was paid for long before December 2019.

The whole purpose of taking out insurance is to cover people from illness/injury or financial loss and yet the rug was pulled out from most people by insurance companies telling people that their insurance policy is now effectively worthless.

I would think anyone in that position they wouldn't be so flippant about giving up thousands of dollars like it was no big deal.

We were lucky that we were able to get our cruise money back, but we can't get a refund for our airfare and accommodation, but have been able to convert it into credit but if things don't change in 12-18 months then we've effectively out of pocket nearly 3.5k for something that we had no control over and our insurance refuses to cover.
The insurance debate is a different issue and yes it should cover more.

You refer to we, so I’m assuming that’s 2 of your sharing the $7,300, so $3650 each, which Im not saying is insignificant. A Pandemic was announced before your trip, cruises are basically a virus vessel so you would have been aware of the risks of boarding assuming it was still going ahead. What value do you place on you and your partners life? What about the people you could have infected on the ship and on your return?

Now I don’t know how vocal you were at the time about government measures not going far enough, but I’m sorry if you decided to make that trip at a minimum it means you have very poor judgement and also selfish.

Now I’m not talking in hindsight here as I was critical when Vader brought this up, but a work friend of my ex was the 62 year old female who passed last week after being on the Ruby Princess, they boarded on the 8th. Do you think her husband, if they had their time again, would have foregone the cash, bearing in mind government restrictions hadn’t come in yet, so they didn’t have the same level of awareness.

5k, 10k, 15k?

How much is a life worth? And we were talking $3k.

Lets also not forget what is worth $5k to one person is worth nothing to another.

Different people in different financial positions, some dont have the luxury to waiver that amount.

As I said all along, at the time when Vader was taking his cruise the PM/Chief Medical Officer gave the blessing for crowds to attend R1 of NRL.
Have you had a guess yet what Vader’s reaction to that decision was?

And it’s not even a relevant comparison. 2 hours in the open compared to a week on ship with nowhere to escape.

If they re-open a bunch of work places, the people who work there no longer have a choice. Nor do any of the people that they encounter.
You’re projecting your own fears here. I bet there’s shit tonnes of people that want to get back to work. I guess if you didn’t want to work you could negotiate with the employer or quit.

5k, 10k, 15k?

This. We're mostly all in the same ship, just with different level of impacts - health risks, financial risks, job loss risks.
Noone deserves to take the moral high ground on this particular thread. We are all suffering some way or another during this damn pandemic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back