Preview NAB Cup Round 3 - Collingwood v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

This year has been a bit unusual because we've given our rookies lots of games. Sure, a rookie usually gets a game, maybe two. But this year we've had (correct me if my memory is wrong) but Frost, Martin, and Dwyer played the first two and have been selected for this week. Marley, Yagmoor and Mooney have played one and have been selected for this week.

That's a lot of games being given to the rookies!

It's NAB Cup. Best chance to see what they've got.

Look, I'm aware the NAB Cup ultimately means nothing.

But seriously, most of us are competitive. I love winning. I love watching Collingwood win, even practice matches. I still have the first 2 NAB Rounds iQed and I watch them.

So to see us so clearly and blatantly go out basically with the intention of not winning, just makes me feel a little....flat. I was going to go to this match, but now I'm not sure I feel like watching a borderline reserves side go out and get mauled.

But seriously, most of us are competitive. I love winning. I love watching Collingwood win, even practice matches. I still have the first 2 NAB Rounds iQed and I watch them.

So to see us so clearly and blatantly go out basically with the intention of not winning, just makes me feel a little....flat. I was going to go to this match, but now I'm not sure I feel like watching a borderline reserves side go out and get mauled.

We wont get mauled. The rookies & kids will step up. I thought we would lose badly last week too.
If they play with the same intensity & game plan as last week there is every chance they could still win.
Round 1 must be our priority. We have a tough draw & need as many of our best players playing as possible.
Who knows what the surface is going to be like after they had a rock concert there. Take no chances & play the kids & the rookies.
Gives them experience & we get to see what they are capable of. I like our thinking over the NAB series.

I seriously doubt there is an intention of not winning. I am sure that every single player on the field will be doing everything they can to beat their man and contribute to a win. And I am certain that the coaching staff will be coaching with the intention of giving their team the best chance to win.

The only issue is at selection, where the decision was made (probably wisely) to rest some of three players who will need to be fresh for the season proper. I am happy with the selection, and what's more, I still think we will beat Brisbane. We are only missing 11 of our best 22 - we won last week with a similar number out.

A bit of perspective guys. 19 players named played senior footy in 2012 plus Macaffer. 20 blokes with senior AFL experience plus the likes of Frost, Martin, Dwyer and Oxley as mature agers makes this still a very solid squad.

We've all been crowing about our depth therefore if its as good as we all think it is we should at the very least be competitive and IMO are still a solid chance to come away with a win.

Was just at training. Will put more notes in later but interesting to note that Beams didn't train.
Witts and Goldy will start deep forwards for tomorrow night, with Q at CHF again.

By contrast, we've added Brown, Raines, Patfull, Rich, Merrett and McGrath, i.e. the majority of our most senior players, back onto our lineup. A huge contrast in tactics for this match, it would seem.

Does seem odd that we are going with an even more inexperienced line up when most teams are starting to field close to full strength with only a few weeks till season proper.

Club maybe looking to dodge the blues v pies NAB GF hype maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So blairy is the midfield general...yeh quite experienced line up, lols will be had if the bears lose to us.
Whatever the result, you can't really lose and we can't win.

Went to training. Was a short session due to the game tomorrow and was only for the guys playing. As noted above, Beams did not train. The ball movement through the middle looked reasonable (during the full ground drill), except for one play, where Clinton Young went to switch back into the middle at CHB and failed to hit the target. Also, Jordan Russell had a bit of a shocker - missed targets and dropped marks.

Will be an inexperienced side tomorrow night and will not be concerned if we lose (would rather not play in the NAB final). Should still be competitive though. Will be good to see Goldy return and Witts spend some time forward.

Bears mmm... that the team Bucks left so that he could win a premiership. Your actually playing the Lions. I'm sorry if that still is still too painful to talk about:)
I feel filthy dirty replying to you. But let's merge another AFL team with Collingwood and increase concessions/draft picks and salary cap. You mad?

Bears mmm... that the team Bucks left so that he could win a premiership. Your actually playing the Lions. I'm sorry if that still is still too painful to talk about:)

Technically Bucks made the right decision because the team he left at the time; ie the Brisbane Bears never won a premiership, in fact they died in the arse. What happened later was that a pretend club formed out of the rotting carcasses of two failed clubs won three AFL endorsed flags, but the ramshackle club Nathan left never won a flag. So let's not get carried away here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview NAB Cup Round 3 - Collingwood v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back