New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the real derailment came when Hird was reintroduced into the topic by a Richmond supporter.

Can wait to see Knights coaching at the top level again in the upcoming years. Surely he's the most in-demand guy going around.
In fairness, he'd be more in-demand than Hird as a stand alone coach. I couldn't envisage any scenario where clubs are clamoring for the senior coaching services of Jimmy. Knights coaching stocks are rising, and a senior assistant role similar to Williams at GWS may very well be the next step in his career path.

This is the most ridiculous thread.

Good on knights for winning a GF.

To those tools digging into Essendon and slamming Hird, let's remember this. Hird took over Essendon after the club finished 14th, yes that's right 14th.

In Hird's first year, he took the team to 8th. In Hird's second year, the team was 9-1 before injuries absolutely ruined us. Let's get real here, if we don't get those injuries, we would have played finals.

Good on Knights for his victory, but really his time at Essendon was underwhelming, and comparing him to Hird at this stage is a fools game. Let's wait another year and re-assess.

Let me reiterate to you ppl who just don't get it - The Geelong VFL team is not Knights team. Knights is expected to Coach according to the requirements of the club. Even our VFL Captain said in his speech how it was all about "The Geelong Way". Not Knights way, not Essendons or Richmonds way, but the Geelong way.

If he was to get another gig at AFL level he would be a better coach because he has learnt from a great club - Geelong. His success today in the 2012 VFL GF has nothing to with Essendon or Richmond and I fail to see why you morons are making it so.

In fairness, he'd be more in-demand than Hird as a stand alone coach. I couldn't envisage any scenario where clubs are clamoring for the senior coaching services of Jimmy. Knights coaching stocks are rising, and a senior assistant role similar to Williams at GWS may very well be the next step in his career path.

This is pretty much it. Hird and Voss are the only coaches in the league I can't see another club trying to poach in the next few seasons.

Jeepers Lance. Quoting Hardwick's stats and predicting, ghoulishly, his sacking next year, in a thread about Knights??

Seriously, grow up. You may think you're a clever keyboard hero, but it's pretty pathetic.

Well done Knighta. Great bloke and wonderful to see him with some silverware. Not sure how long he will be happy spending 2 nights a week in an Ocean Grove caravan park, but he's had a top year in the box and moulding some good youngsters.

Geelong will not seek for this flag to be counted in the overall premiership ladder. That said, the AFL is investigating as to whether flags pre 1897 should be counted. Interesting

i Know there's emotion flying around but do you genuinely believe that?

From an outside perspective Id take the Tiger list in a heartbeat

Essendon have been finishing above Richmond for years. So it is safe to say that our list has been better. For Richmond to go ahead of us they would need to improve more than we do. But where is that improvement going to come from? Essendon has a great list of young and talented players too. Players 23 and under such as Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Kavanagh, Myers, Daniher and to a lesser extent Melksham, Browne, Pears,Hibberd etc.
Richmond have the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Vickery, Conca, Ellis, Grimes, Rance, Elton, Batchelor, Astbury, Griffiths

Cotchin will probably be the best of the lot, but I seriously doubt anyone knowledgeable and unbiased would really think that Richmonds youth is better than the Bombers.

Essendon have been finishing above Richmond for years. So it is safe to say that our list has been better. For Richmond to go ahead of us they would need to improve more than we do. But where is that improvement going to come from? Essendon has a great list of young and talented players too. Players 23 and under such as Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Kavanagh, Myers, Daniher and to a lesser extent Melksham, Browne, Pears,Hibberd etc.
Richmond have the likes of Cotchin, Martin, Vickery, Conca, Ellis, Grimes, Rance, Elton, Batchelor, Astbury, Griffiths

Cotchin will probably be the best of the lot, but I seriously doubt anyone knowledgeable and unbiased would really think that Richmonds youth is better than the Bombers.

Daniher isn't on your list yet so i wouldn't count him and without him your list looks quite a bit less intimidating. I say that because Daniher would sure be the no 1 pick this year and will almost certainly be the best power forward in the game in years to come.

Jeepers Lance. Quoting Hardwick's stats and predicting, ghoulishly, his sacking next year, in a thread about Knights??

Seriously, grow up. You may think you're a clever keyboard hero, but it's pretty pathetic.
hahahaha :D

It's funny though, I've had a look and I can't see you scolding your Richmond supporting mate for the original comments on Hird, the one I was satirising? Can you point me to your outraged post about that comment please?

Pfft

Daniher isn't on your list yet so i wouldn't count him and without him your list looks quite a bit less intimidating. I say that because Daniher would sure be the no 1 pick this year and will almost certainly be the best power forward in the game in years to come.

Cotchin has as much chance of not being on Richmonds list next year as Daniher not being on Essendons list. So I don't really find that a valid argument. And then theres still Hurley, Heppell, Zaharakis, Bellchambers, Carlisle etc. who have shown that they could be very good players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin has as much chance of not being on Richmonds list next year as Daniher not being on Essendons list. So I don't really find that a valid argument. And then theres still Hurley, Heppell, Zaharakis, Bellchambers, Carlisle etc. who have shown that they could be very good players.

i know but then your disregarding our first pick who is likely to be a very good afl quality player aswell..

i know but then your disregarding our first pick who is likely to be a very good afl quality player aswell..

Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Kavanagh, Myers, Daniher, Melksham, Browne, Pears,Hibberd
Cotchin, Martin, Vickery, Conca, Ellis, Grimes, Rance, Elton, Batchelor, Astbury, Griffiths, *First Rounder

Nope sorry Essendons list is still much better and we have more improvement than Richmond IMO.

I think Myers may well be in different colours next year, and I don't have to point out the "love" Dons supporters have for Melksham do I? Pears also needs to lift...hasn't been the same player since his injuries. Too early to pump up Browne ( who looks ok ) and Kavanagh. Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley and Bellchambers are all good players, no doubt.

A little biased in your outlook ( which is fine )....and looking forward to seeing Daniher.

Cotchin is the best of them all by a fair margin, and Martin, Vickery, Grimes, Rance and Griffiths look ok to me. Richmond wont be far away next year....not much between the two sides as it stands right now IMO.

Good performance from Knights this season. From memory he was pretty good at Bendigo in the coaching role as well, in terms of developing talent.

God, that's the last thing we need, geelong to develop more quality talent!!!!

Congrats to the Cats VFL team too

Well said. :thumbsu:

Yeah it's easy to get carried away, but obviously it's very encouraging, especially as we urgently need quality youngsters establishing themselves in the senior side. Doesn't mean we'll zoom back up the ladder next year, and realistically only a handful of players are likely to make it, but there's a couple of names I can't wait to see next year. Knights seems to be doing his job nicely, can't ask for more than that.

Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley, Carlisle, Bellchambers, Kavanagh, Myers, Daniher, Melksham, Browne, Pears,Hibberd

Is that the Pears on the trade table, or some other Pears? Not that I want to argue about this shit.

Knights has fallen on his feet re his involvement at Geelong and has been redeemed to some extent, and I'm content with that.

I think Myers may well be in different colours next year, and I don't have to point out the "love" Dons supporters have for Melksham do I? Pears also needs to lift...hasn't been the same player since his injuries. Too early to pump up Browne ( who looks ok ) and Kavanagh. Zaharakis, Heppell, Hurley and Bellchambers are all good players, no doubt.

A little biased in your outlook ( which is fine )....and looking forward to seeing Daniher.

Cotchin is the best of them all by a fair margin, and Martin, Vickery, Grimes, Rance and Griffiths look ok to me. Richmond wont be far away next year....not much between the two sides as it stands right now IMO.

Logical post, but it's tough to make people listen in a crap slinging match.

You should worry about beating Gold Coast and Port Adelaide, and finishing above shit teams like Essendon on the ladder before you talk finals.

You mean premiership favorites who don't make finals?

Well done to him. He's good at developing players and has had success at Geelong.

Also lol about how 26 months ago he was "a hopeless coach who couldn't do anything" and now he's "an unfairly knifed coach that never had the support of the board."

Remove this Banner Ad

New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back