New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

what does that say for Hird then ?

Knights>>>>>>> Hird
Knights >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dimma.

Done way more. Made AFL finals, won a reserves flag. There is nothing that Dimma has done that is better than Knights. Really, you guys should make a play for him either this year or next

All power to Knighter for the accomplishment. I'm not sure that it proves anything in retrospect, but all power to him.

Maybe he does get another senior AFL gig and maybe he does do very well at it. But perhaps he's a better coach now than he was then.

Winning % at AFL level:

Hird: 48.9% | Knights: 37.3%

If Knights is so good, maybe Richmond can look at him in 2 years time when Hardwick gets the boot. :thumbsu:

Knights was there longer.

Maybe Essendon will get Kinghts again after Hird is sacked next year when you miss finals again. Surely you wouldn't sack the golden boy if you miss finals again next year?

Knights is probably the kind of guy who needs to be at a professionally run club to flourish as a coach. Can you imagine how he would have gone at Essendon this year, with Bomber spilling coke down his neck, the Weapon running the fitness program and the fans going feral after every 10+ goal hiding? Doubt he would have done any better than Hird.

Took the port magpies to their worse two seasons ever. Failed with Bendigo and got sacked by the dons. Even when he was captain at richmond he got sacked won't end nicely.

And again....time to change feet matey!

Knights was there longer.

Maybe Essendon will get Kinghts again after Hird is sacked next year when you miss finals again. Surely you wouldn't sack the golden boy if you miss finals again next year?
Maybe you'll get him next year when you don't make the finals for the 29th time of the last 31 years and Dimma is sacked?

Maybe you'll get him next year when you don't make the finals for the 29th time of the last 31 years and Dimma is sacked?

We'll make the finals next year. Can't see you making it.

Alright then, winning % after the first 2 years of coaching at AFL level (even matchup):

Hird: 48.9% | Knights: 40%

Speaking of missing finals, how many years straight is that now for Richmond? Hardwick must come under pressure soon surely?

Like I said, we'll make them next year.

Worry about yourselves.

We'll make the finals next year. Can't see you making it.
every year you'll make the finals.

I do love how you can so confidently say you'll make it and we won't. Recent - make that distant - history would suggest otherwise. You finished below us this year - again.

I'd suggest we'll make it next year and you won't. That's far more likely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

every year you'll make the finals.

I do love how you can so confidently say you'll make it and we won't. Recent - make that distant - history would suggest otherwise. You finished below us this year - again.

I'd suggest we'll make it next year and you won't. That's far more likely

We thrashed you.. We have a better list and have a brighter future.

You know it too :D

You should worry about beating Gold Coast and Port Adelaide, and finishing above shit teams like Essendon on the ladder before you talk finals.

We're a young side, no experience means there will be unexpected losses and draws.

How about you worry about beating Richmond and Melbourne..

2 teams that are a lot younger than you..

Knights was on a hiding to nothing coaching Essendon after the Sheedy tenure. Whoever coached Essendon after Sheedy had no hope while his legacy hung around like a bad smell, Sheedy should've gone after the 2001 Grand Final. The Bombers won only 3 games in 2006, the rot had set in and Knights was like a lamb to the slaughter. The Golden boy has returned, but the problems remain.

We're a young side, no experience means there will be unexpected losses and draws.

How about you worry about beating Richmond and Melbourne..
Essendon were younger and more inexperienced when you beat us in Round 22.

I think the game earlier in the year, when both teams were near full fitness, was a much better representation of the difference between the two teams.

So Geelong supporters who are so happy to stick the boot into Essendon over this, if a VFL flag means so much, surely you'd be happy with Ayres getting another gig at the Cattery.

Congrats to Knights and co, but reality is at the top level he wasn't much chop.
Tell me where I'm wide of the mark by asking just why would we give a second thought to giving a losing premiership coach any priority over a winning one.:p

Knighter has a role to fill with us and that is to develop our next AFL crop and he's doing that brilliantly. The flag is just a very welcome by-product.

I wouldn't be trumpeting too loudly just yet about your replacement for Knighter as he still has to prove himself.

1 all this year, wasn't it?

Our list is, and continues to be, far better than yours

Yeah, we kicked ourselves out of the first game and had to deal with some horrendous pro Essendon umpiring. Still remember it like yesterday.

Your list is not better than ours at all.. But keep telling yourself that.

While the Essendon supporters derail the thread, might be pertinent to ask if GWS has had a look at Knights. Obviously very good at developing young talent.
I think the real derailment came when Hird was reintroduced into the topic by a Richmond supporter.

Can wait to see Knights coaching at the top level again in the upcoming years. Surely he's the most in-demand guy going around.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back