New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

Took the port magpies to their worse two seasons ever. Failed with Bendigo and got sacked by the dons. Even when he was captain at richmond he got sacked won't end nicely.

You say this, and other posters say both teams made finals under his stewardship.

Just what was Knights' record with Bendigo and Port.

Can anyone clarify please?

Took the port magpies to their worse two seasons ever. Failed with Bendigo and got sacked by the dons. Even when he was captain at richmond he got sacked won't end nicely.

He had one season at Port and they finished 6th.

But ask a few Port Maggies people how they feel about him and his coaching.

I've posted this a couple of times without having it confirmed or denied...was told by a Port supporter at the time that Knights wanted to blood kids at the likely expense of losing games and was told, "We don't do that at Port".

What do Geelong supporters think of this appointment?

Very poor gameplan with Essendon and refused to adopt the boards directive to become more defensive.

Anyone feel there is the possibility for conflict here? (Although if there is we all know who will come out on the wrong end of that)

Surprising move for mine.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/125633/default.aspx
What are the essendon board directing James hird to do at the minute? ;)

good luck with that. was chased out of SA when he was here coaching the magpies in the sanfl, a **** of the highest order.
Thanks, but we make our own luck down here. Has geelongs vfl side sitting pretty at the top in his first year. How are things at the port Adelaide power magpies thingies going? ;)

Haha...great bump.

13-7 in the AFL, equal top of the ladder in the VFL, nine AFL debutants...reckon he might have earnt another year on our coaching staff.

10 actually (Smedts, McCarthy, Schroder, Murdoch, Stephenson, Horlin-Smith, Sheringham, Stringer, Walker and Simpkin).

Very happy with Knights... VERY happy. Getting the message across to the boys very well.
Makes Essendon look a little foolish however. The 2 prodical sons have returned and they are on the verge of missing the finals. They spend buku bucks on their football department and can't keep anyone fit....

Long hard looks in the mirror at Windy hill....

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's great news whenever anybody finds their level

so you'll be saying the same thing when hird gets demoted to vfl coach then?

knights is a great coach, will still be laughing all the way to the bank from his payout and also at essendon missing finals AGAIN.

By that i presume you mean Essendon outside the 8 and missing the finals again

Go Catters

is this thread about Knights or Essendon? He was a good VFL coach at Bendigo and he looks pretty good at Geelong. You don't need to spit your dummy and have a little tanty when someone points this out do you? Are you incapable of discussing something on it's merits, or do you disagree with what I said? If so, try addressing it rather than acting like a petulant child

so you'll be saying the same thing when hird gets demoted to vfl coach then?

knights is a great coach, will still be laughing all the way to the bank from his payout and also at essendon missing finals AGAIN.

Nice post mate, you're really bringing the Bay to the Main board. Good work.

is this thread about Knights or Essendon? He was a good VFL coach at Bendigo and he looks pretty good at Geelong. You don't need to spit your dummy and have a little tanty when someone points this out do you? Are you incapable of discussing something on it's merits, or do you disagree with what I said? If so, try addressing it rather than acting like a petulant child

Nice post mate, you're really bringing the Bay to the Main board. Good work.

You took a swipe at Knights and I got one back. If you think thats a dummy spit then good on you. We all have differnt levels of hostility i guess.

I disagree with you. I think he would make a good seniors coach. But what i think is irrelevant. Fact is Essendon threw him out and didn't really give him the same support thrown at Hird in my opinion.

He is now finding success with a decent level of support and structures. Good on him and good on Essendon for getting rid of him.

Go Catters

You took a swipe at Knights and I got one back. If you think thats a dummy spit then good on you. We all have differnt levels of hostility i guess.

I disagree with you. I think he would make a good seniors coach. But what i think is irrelevant. Fact is Essendon threw him out and didn't really give him the same support thrown at Hird in my opinion.

He is now finding success with a decent level of support and structures. Good on him and good on Essendon for getting rid of him.

Go Catters

What do you see in him that makes you think he has it in him to be a successful senior coach?

What support have Essendon given Hird that they didn't give to Knights?

His ability to craft the younger players into the Geelong way - whatever that is - Its called coaching. Getting the best out of the players you have around you. I'm not on the coaching staff and therefore can't provide you with internal structures and details. He tried with some success elsewhere but has hit his strides here and by all accounts is loving it.

If you think he got the same support from Essendon then fair enough. He is having success now. Maybe his list is better with the Cats #2 than what he had before? I don't know. Either way, he is communicating, educating and developing his list of players very well. That to me is part of being a good senior coach to answer your inquiry.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

New Geelong VFL coach: Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back