News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right.

Leon was ready to sign a couple of weeks ago. Whats happended since then? Im getting the feeling that what the club offered him was the best they could do, then the Toovey saga sprang up and more $$ were thrown at him leaving Leon feeling a bit dissapointed.
Wild fanciful speculation with not one iota of fact is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
You can basically say anything you like and never ever be held accountable

Yeah it simply couldn't be that he wanted to go home could it?

Fireaters must eat fire even if they have to light it themselves

How can you possibly stand being so positive??

BT begs to differ!!! Sorry I dont see the positves out of losing Leon Daivs for nothing who this year was an AA. If you think its a good thing you will believe anything.

How can you possibly be so naive?

Wild fanciful speculation with not one iota of fact is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
You can basically say anything you like and never ever be held accountable

Can you read? This whole thread is speculation.

Leon was ready to sign a couple of weeks ago. Whats happended since then? Im getting the feeling that what the club offered him was the best they could do, then the Toovey saga sprang up and more $$ were thrown at him leaving Leon feeling a bit dissapointed.

Exactly right.

I thought earlier it was a rebuff of Bucks?

Truth is, none of us know for sure, but it's likely somewhere between wanting to go home for family reasons, not enough money left in salary cap and getting his kids out of Melbourne...and whatever else.

So can't see any particular intelligent reason for anyone to cast any negativity at Leon, the Club or Bucks, all of whom have well and truly earned our fullest respect and loyalty.

I thought earlier it was a rebuff of Bucks?.

Who is to say its not? Obviously something has happened in the last 2 weeks or so.

So can't see any particular intelligent reason for anyone to cast any negativity at Leon, the Club or Bucks, all of whom have well and truly earned our fullest respect and loyalty.

BT has stated its the clubs fault, be it admin, coach etc nobody knows. Leon has felt let down for whatever reason and now wants to return home. He was ready to sign and at the last minute pulled the pin. Where theres smoke theres fire.

I've always liked Leon. Even when he hasn't been doing that well he's always managed to turn it on and excite even if only in glimpses. He will be missed in his new defensive role, we've lost 2 key players out of our back line in 2 years. That can't be underestimated.

That said though... Whilst I understand the go home factor and wouldn't begrudge him too much for leaving/retiring/whatever, I think the way he has (reportedly) gone about his has been disgusting, and incredibly disrespectful from a player who the club has been very loyal to.

It's one thing to decide he doesn't want to play for collingwood anymore, as he clearly has his reasons and I'm fine with that. But to not have the nerve to inform the club yourself, in person? To get your manager to make that call on your behalf? And reading that Buckley and Walsh can't get in touch with him? What the **** is wrong with this guy, does he have shit for brains? If you wanna leave fine, have the decency to get on a plane and call a meeting with the relevant stake holders and do it properly for ****s sake. Sometimes it's not the fact that you left that is remembered, but how your went about it. And he's been a major disappointment in this regard.

This is of course assuming that what I've read is true, though I believe it probably is as the club has pretty much confirmed it all.

Leon was saying during the season that he wanted it to be his last and that the only reason he would go on is if we didn't win the flag. Now he's back at home he want to be with his family.

Anyone that is thinking about retirement should retire. He wants to be back in Perth so he has the blessings of the club I suspect.

As brilliant as he was this year as the premier small defender in the game, we can cover him. We'll miss Leon the forward more, but we have a superior defense without him already.

His highlights reel could sit proudly next to Peter Daicos.

Who is to say its not? Obviously something has happened in the last 2 weeks or so.

BT has stated its the clubs fault, be it admin, coach etc nobody knows. Leon has felt let down for whatever reason and now wants to return home. He was ready to sign and at the last minute pulled the pin. Where theres smoke theres fire.

so because BT has stated it was the clubs fault it must be true?

You don't think leon's manger might be a more reliable source then BT?

"Collingwood is a great club and if Collingwood was based in Perth he'd want to play there until he was 40. It's more just a lifestyle decision for Leon."

"He's not walking out on the Magpies, but he's probably at the stage now where he's decided that he wants to live back in Perth, which is not a great surprise for anyone thats followed Leon over the last 10 or so years,"

"He likes Bucks and Bucks wants him to play. It's got nothing to do with that," he said.

"It's really got to do with wanting to go back and playing in Perth or Adelaide if possible.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/davis-walks-out-on-collingwood-taylor/story-e6frf9jf-1226176558683

so because BT has stated it was the clubs fault it must be true?

You don't think leon's manger might be a more reliable source then BT?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/davis-walks-out-on-collingwood-taylor/story-e6frf9jf-1226176558683

You conveniently leave out the obvious reason.......

Reports last night suggested Davis had been left disappointed by a contract offer up to $100,000 a year less than his previous deal.

And while Pickering did not deny the running defender would have had to accept a pay cut to remain at the Pies, he said Davis decision to quit was "not about the money'.

It's certainly obvious. . .

to those looking for the lowest common denominator

Still taking pot shots? Maybe not so obvious to those who cant tell the difference between night and day.

Taylor, speaking on radio 3AW, said the offer was about $100,000 short of what Davis believed was fair.

"The deal put him is not embarrassing ... perhaps a little insulting," Taylor said.

and

Pickering also denied Davis's decision to move had anything to do with Collingwood's switch of coach from Mick Malthouse who was a known Davis sympathiser, to Nathan Buckley.

Nathan is Walsh are obviously trying to change Davis mind but things are looking grim. If its not W.A then its S.A. Failing that its the WAFL. So much for 'going home' to WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The missus comes from SA

Hmmmm I thought he wants to be close to 'his' family not his Mrs?

"He's not walking out on the Magpies, but he's probably at the stage now where he's decided that he wants to live back in Perth, which is not a great surprise for anyone thats followed Leon over the last 10 or so years," Pickering said.

Whatever he decides good luck to him. Clubs loss.

I will miss Leon, I will miss screaming at the top of my lungs...."Neeeeeoooooonnnnnn" (my family will probably not miss that.

Good luck to him.

I have no idea trully why he is leaving; homesick, maybe? Club, doubtful? Bucks, maybe/doubtful? Money, maybe?
BUT, I do think this is not out of the blue. Did no one else listen to his interview at the Copeland? I said to my partner that night....I think Leon is gone.

He should be happy to play for 250-275k considering we carried him for a year at 350-400k in 2010 and gave him a couple of cracks at a flag. Could have potentially been washed up after last year. If he wanted to give himself his best chance to play in a flag he would have signed for 250k.

I love Leon. I want him to stay, but I have a gut feeling that he has been approached by Freo or WCE who will give him the opportunity to play in WA for similar money to what he has been offered at Collingwood.

So if I read it correctly Davis was on around $350K and they have offered $250K. He is looking for approximately $100K more, which being on the veterans list means $50K will be allocated to the salary cap (a total of $175K). If Collingwood can't afford to do that, then they must really be close to the limit! That also means that with Davis leaving, if they wanted Macaffer to stay, they could only afford to offer him $125K as his pay will be fully allocated against the cap, which I doubt he would accept? Unless I am missing something here?

Any work at Visy going on where Davis can get some moula on the side for being a spokesperson?

Remove this Banner Ad

News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back