News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

BT was a favorite of mine but he has disgraced himself here. He is partly responsible as is Leon & as is Pickering. Agree that a drop down of $100 K is a slap in the face but Pickering made comments prior to tradeweek that Leon & he were very happy with the deal offered.

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that Leon is uncontactable or won't speak to Collingwood & Pickering himself is in New York. It marks it hard for both parties to sit down and nut it out.

BT was brave that year and got us over the line, no different to Presty. McKeown and Alan Richardson desperately unlucky too.

And yes he shouldn't be leaking but it's his love child, he's still a good Collingwood man. ;)

I was referring more to his diaries.... gave me the impression that it's more about him than anything. Not much since then has persuaded me to think otherwise.

BT was a favorite of mine but he has disgraced himself here. He is partly responsible as is Leon & as is Pickering. Agree that a drop down of $100 K is a slap in the face but Pickering made comments prior to tradeweek that Leon & he were very happy with the deal offered.

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that Leon is uncontactable or won't speak to Collingwood & Pickering himself is in New York. It marks it hard for both parties to sit down and nut it out.

Especially with the clock ticking. We have to lodge our first list lodgement on Monday 31st Oct. That list I assume has to reflect the arrival of Clarke, Witts, Elliott & Yagmoor plus 2 other live picks in the draft (compulsary).
Hence we have remove 6 players by Monday? - Brown plus 5 others.
We have to decide quickly whether to give up on Davis & talk to Caff or talk to Dick further??? Throws our plans out in the 11th hour.

I'll never forget him kicking that goal then sprinting over to Chris Lewis to stick his fist in his face, he was an angry unit in those days

I was referring more to his diaries.... gave me the impression that it's more about him than anything. Not much since then has persuaded me to think otherwise.
You just described the human ego, about 7 billion culprits under that criteria

BT sprayed about 5 gettable shots at goal in Q1 of 1990 QF. If he'd drilled them it would have been an easy win, but who knows, we might have then lost to Essendon on team balance.

Banks and Christian were in the next week for Starcevich and BT.
McKeown was the hard call. Starcevich got him for a place in the 2nd semi.
And we all know about Alan Richardson and Kerrison.

I'm thinking on balance BT was always going to struggle getting a go vs Essendon with Anthony Daniher at full-back.

His book hardly helped the situation! That was the start of the leaking which goes on to this day!

I havent read it, but Dacios released a book before the 1991 season and references a few things BT said in his which were in some cases completely incorrect and in other supposed to be confidential. That was Dac's side of the story anyway, I think for memory he mentions alot of the players being unhappy about it.

Who's to say he isn't being straight with the club? Just because the negotiations are confidential and news is scarce doesn't mean they aren't happening. We will find out in due course but are not entitled to blow by blow descriptions along the way.

Pretty sure I read that as of last night the club hadn't even heard from Leon directly yet.

Players are entitled to get what they can but if Leon is really insulted by a $250k offer as reported then he can take a bigger cut to play elsewhere and we won't have to worry whether he'll perform in the finals any more. Had he ripped it up in the finals in the last 2 years then he'd be worth $150k more and the club should tell him exactly that and then show him Scott Pendleburys deal with a photo of him accepting Norm. They should do this in front of his manager just to make sure he is clear on how the club works out value. MM always said he looks at finals form but frankly that was never true. I hope it now is under Buckley.

I like Davis and he can play some bloody good football but players who don't perform in September are not worth $350k, let alone one that is coming off 1 good and 1 bad year.

$250k is the right offer. Take it or leave it Leon.

My take on the Leon thing was, he went home to WA. He got comfortable in his environment and didn't really want to return.

Pickering relayed his contract offer to Leon. Leon said if they want me to come back they'll have to pay me more because I'm happy here.

Leon's head is no longer in it. Let him go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on the Leon thing was, he went home to WA. He got comfortable in his environment and didn't really want to return.

Pickering relayed his contract offer to Leon. Leon said if they want me to come back they'll have to pay me more because I'm happy here.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

I think that this scenario is likely to be closest to the truth as to what has transpired.

Gary Pert just said that it's disapointing that Leon still won't answer any calls from himself, Walshe & Buckley, who have been trying all week. It's fine that Leon is homesick & wants to stay there, that is choice. It's common courtesy to at least tell the club that he wants out given the club, not just Mick Malthouse, stuck by his career when he could have easily been cut free.

Something drastic must have occured or Leon's character may have been misjudged.

Pickering has said that Leon would be interested in playing for Adelaide or Port. Port hasnt got the money but Adelaide do, but then agian Adelaide arent looking for older players. Also he is looking to play in the SANFL. What is going on there, wouild rather play state league & get payed nothing than play @ Collingwood for $250k a year. Gotta ask the question, there has been a few players this year that have wanted to leave over money, its not just leon. Mayb there is no respet for buckley after mick the legend left

Pickering has said that Leon would be interested in playing for Adelaide or Port. Port hasnt got the money but Adelaide do, but then agian Adelaide arent looking for older players. Also he is looking to play in the SANFL. What is going on there, wouild rather play state league & get payed nothing than play @ Collingwood for $250k a year. Gotta ask the question, there has been a few players this year that have wanted to leave over money, its not just leon. Mayb there is no respet for buckley after mick the legend left

Then why did Swan, Thomas, Dawes, Pendles all re-sign on contracts below what was offered by other clubs (knowing they would be playing under Bucks in 2012).
Toovey also re-signed (after a misguided market approach by his manager).
We are still waiting on McCaffer to re-sign or enter the draft.
The only players confirmed leaving are Brown (retired) & Davis (go home factor).

Long term losing Davis and being able to afford Macaffer is in the best interests of the club

Completely agree.

Love Leon, always have and always will. But we need to think long term.

I'm a teensy bit pissed at Leon for leaving this until after trade week. The fact he could go to West Coast or Freo and we get nothing in return makes me a wee little bit very angry.

Completely agree.

Love Leon, always have and always will. But we need to think long term.

I'm a teensy bit pissed at Leon for leaving this until after trade week. The fact he could go to West Coast or Freo and we get nothing in return makes me a wee little bit very angry.
Evidently we tried all trade week with both those clubs to get a deal done for Leon but they didn't show any interest.

Evidently we tried all trade week with both those clubs to get a deal done for Leon but they didn't show any interest.
Very strange, I thought they'd be fighting over him - had a brilliant season, perhaps the best small defender in the league last year. Hopefully Adelaide will bite. Would get a lot of dough from GWS at least, but his talents would be basically wasted. Maybe could join Rhyse at Syd, I'd like to see that.

Gotta ask the question, there has been a few players this year that have wanted to leave over money, its not just leon. Mayb there is no respet for buckley after mick the legend left

Gotta ask the question, name these players that have left?

Dane Swan? Dale Thomas? Scott Pendlebury? Chris Dawes? Alan Toovey?

Running out of names there so better be quick.

Very strange, I thought they'd be fighting over him - had a brilliant season, perhaps the best small defender in the league last year.
It's the new era of list management and getting the bulk of your players to mature together.. but I think they'll jump now he costs them nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

News that will rock Collingwood: Leon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back